Teeny Tiny Surprise Yesterday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyxxin

RAF Chins
SO, I suspected this female was pregnant based on weight. But here's the interesting/concerning part. The female had put on 100g, but then she lost 55g in 10 days. I figured maybe my scale was off...it wasn't. I weighed her, reweighed her...weighed other chins and reweighed them. The weights were consistent indicating the scale was accurate. So then she gains the 55g back in the next 8 days?!? I go down for my morning check yesterday and find two kits under her to my surprise. One is ITTY BITTY at just 34g (32g as of today) and the other's around 50g. Here's a picture of the little one. Wondering what the thoughts on this girls weight loss and then gain are? Remember, I'm smart enough to automatically assume my scale is wrong. To the extent that I DID change batteries and it weighed everyone else consistently. Nobody else had a dramatic loss or gain in that entire time frame.

Attachments

• 100_3994.jpg
    100_3994.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_3995.jpg
    100_3995.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 107
See, I'd be paranoid already and start hand feeding. I see that 30 gm mark looming large and out comes the goat's milk.

They are both lovely. Give them to me........

Wow, male or female?
Love the color.

Good luck with the little one!

Peg- that's one kit ;) I didn't get a pic of the other, momma's a bit protective and I (seriously) get bit just about every time I try to take one. On that note, while he DID appear to lose weight, I didn't post the in between weight. Yesterday he was 34g...this morning he was down to 31g and then went back up to 32g. I too see the 30g as the cutoff...and every time I see him next to his 800+g mother I'm terrified she'll step on him...so far so good and fingers crossed.

He's an ebony white and quite bright!

That is a really, really cute kit. When we have a teeny-weeny like that we sometime take the larger one out for a while each day to make sure the little one gets to eat without being shoved aside. However, we have found that while those little ones are sometime a little slower in their growth they have so much energy and life that it is amazing. It is like they have an extra will to live. I so hope both of yours thrive and do well. Good luck. Thanks for sharing the pix.
JoAnne

I hope she starts gaining for you soon. On the 14th I had a baby girl born at 33 grams and I was nervous, but she was spunky. I weighed her tonight and she's 59 grams and doing great. As long as a baby gets to nursing and putting on weight, the low birth weight doesn't mean a thing!

Attachments

• P1060249.JPG
    P1060249.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 41
Susan- little cutie you got there yourself! Thanks for giving a bit of hope. He IS spunky, takes all of my concentration to keep a grip on him w/o hurting him :) so hopefully he'll continue well. Will have to post updates.

I swear, something's in the water here! First litter of the year a single...second litter was triplets...third litter twins (the litter this post is about) and today...fourth litter quads! It's been YEARS since I've had quads!

Here's a question for those who have large litters more frequently than myself (and I may have to post an individual thread regarding)...how much milk is a mother with a 4week old kit going to be producing? The single is the best option for fostering out but the kit is 4 weeks old and I'm wondering if the female would even be producing enough milk for a newborn?

If she only has one four week old kit, she should be able to nurse another baby without any issues. Her body will produce more milk with more demand. The only problem is that she will most likely only have one mammary gland making milk so the kits will have to share. The four week old shouldn't have a problem with sharing, but the newborn may attack and be a little annoying. Still, it's hit or miss if the other mother will accept the baby and everything will go well with having it nurse.

I've had some good luck with triplets, but quads always make me anxious. I really do not like quads at all.

Yeah, me either. My litter of triplets is doing great :( as soon as I felt her after the third was delivered I wasn't happy...cause I was pretty sure she had another one in there and I was right.

Yeah, I knew I was in for a boom. I have a good 3 or more litters coming within a month, let's hope no more big litters.

My triplets are all doing great and they're several weeks old now, the little guy is up to 37g this morning. I know, not huge but he seems to be doing awesome. Very active, always under mom or setting with his brother...no fighting whatsoever. The quads, I want to wait a little and see. They all dropped 2-3g from yesterday when they were born BUT I did weigh them wet and none have dropped since I weighed them last night. There was no fighting today either, which there was a bit of yesterday. We shall see!

Back