Teeny Tiny Surprise Yesterday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With quads it is always a question as to what to do. We don't like to farm off babies that are more than a week apart. However, something that works really well is to rotate the quads. We put two of them in a nursery. This is quite small and warm and then we put a hay cube in their at about 10 days and they will eat on it during their nursery stint. For the first few days of rotation we offer the kits hand feeding AFTER THEY COME FROM THE MOTHER to see if they are still hungry. If the mother doesn't seem to have enough milk we sometimes will also give the kits getting ready to go to the mother a drop or two, just so they don't fight or bite the mom if they are famished. However, we only give them a drop or two because we want them to definitely be hungry and nurse strongly when they get with Mom. An examination of the mom should let you know if she is producing enough milk to feed all four. We have tried many methods and sometimes handfeed but this is the method that has allowed us to raise the most litters of four and five.
Good luck. JoAnne

JoAnne- how often do you rotate at what ages? That's not a bad idea. I was expecting issues with this litter of triplets...none have come so far and I'm loving it. That mother had triplets last litter (which was her first litter) and I had to foster/handfeed two of her kits. This litter, triplets and all is well.

Pictures of itty bitty (ebony white) and his brother. He's catching up! Into the 40's as of last night. I think he'll do well :)

Attachments

• 100_4011.jpg
    100_4011.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_4012.jpg
    100_4012.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_4015.jpg
    100_4015.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 27
Awwwww! That last picture is incredibly cute! I have never seen a kit in person, only in pics. I would imagine they are even more adorable in person!

Thank you all! They are very sweet babies. I honestly expected with the smaller one being SO small...and his brother being a healthy size...well, I expected the bigger one to bully tiny :( HAPPY to say though, they are best buddies. The bigger one is very chill and I'm so glad for it because they make a good team. I think it's really helped the little guy to thrive having a sibling who likes to cuddle and doesn't fight over teats ;)

Latest posts

Back