Tattoos- a few questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely second the bringing juice, especially if you are ever doing a longer session. I had a 3 hour sitting and I got really lightheaded and had to take breaks about 2 hours in.

I definitely second the bringing juice, especially if you are ever doing a longer session. I had a 3 hour sitting and I got really lightheaded and had to take breaks about 2 hours in.

Also consider bringing something like crackers to snack on. If you need to stop, tell the artist. Make sure you eat a good breakfast/lunch before going, do not eat so much as to make yourself uncomfortable.

Stuff like this is covered in the FAQ of the link I posted and should be on any studio's site.

I think the best thing you can do is go into the shops, see their portfolios, and talk to them. While you are in the shop, look around. Is it clean? Do they have their certificates on the walls? The internet can also be your friend. I went on word-of-mouth for the shop I went to, but also did some research on the net. They were very well reccomended, are involved with tattoo conventions in the areas, and had nothing but awesome reviews...

That said, I still went into the shop, talked to them and when it came time to do the tattoo- the guy I had was wonderful. Was extremely friendly, made sure to tell me that at any time I need a break, to let him know. Checked up on me several times knowing it was my first.

I am going back for my 2nd tomorrow. I pay roughly $100/hr ... price wasn't a factor for me. I wanted quality work, as it will be on me for life.

You want someone who will OPEN the needle INFRONT of you, so you can see it is a new one. Someone who gets fresh gloves before starting--infront of you. Watch them as they sanatize the area you'll be sitting at, their tables, their hands, and you.

There is a guy around the area that a lot of people tend to go to. He has the "$100-$150 as long as you can take it" specials. His work comes out great. Or it comes out horrible--depends if hes on or off drugs at the time...

Stay away from "tattoo" parties. While some may be reptuable, a lot aren't. Many BOIL the needles and re-use instead of getting a new one. They also don't tend to clean as good as they should--its an accident waiting to happen.

My first and currently only tattoo is on my left wrist. It did hurt, but it wasn't awful. I'd really love to get more work done soon.

My fiance has a phoenix on his shoulder blade. He is pretty intolerant to pain - so it took a few shots and a couple burritos to make him more comfortable. It took about 3 hours to do it.

We both need to get ours redone, sadly it is because we both went to unlicensed people. DON'T DO THAT! It is worth the price to get it done right the first time.

Attachments

• n1172071683_30057458_3573.jpg
    n1172071683_30057458_3573.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for the info guys! I'll be sure to check out the FAQ's, go check out the shops and ask tons of questions! This is my first, and I'm kind of nervous- I want to make sure that it's done right. Money isn't a huge deal to me as long as it comes out well.

For those who suggested I talk to the artist about the design- thanks for the suggestion! I think what I'll do is bring some designs that I liked to them and then get their thoughts/have them redesign it to what they think will work.

If anyone is in Northern VA or MD, and has recommendations for a good artist, let me know!

I know I sat for 4 hours and it DOES help, as others have said to get up, take a break, snack or drink and just stretch your legs, it also gives the person doing the work time to stretch too!

I have a lot of tattoo's and my most painful one was my upper thigh, my ankle was not so much painful, but hurt to sit in the position he needed me in.

Good luck, you have some great advice here, can't wait to see it!

P.S. They are addictive :D

1. Don't let the pain factor decide where your going to get it. Its not a huge difference between different areas of the body, and it's going to be there forever Just grit your teeth and get it wherever you think you want it most and goes with the lines of your body. It will be worth it in the end

2. A tattoo studio should have a specialized machine for sterilizing the needles (they put the package of needles in the machine). Then they should open the fresh package in front of you. That way you know they are fresh.

3. Ask to take a look at their portfolio of previous work. Don't only look if things are pretty- look if there is bleeding on the lines (if there is a black line somewhere, does it fade to gray on the edges or solid black? - then their needle wasn't at the right angle). Also look if they do items similar to the one you are getting done. Some people are fantastic at dragons, there portfolio will be only dragon, but their flowers suck for example.

4. Don't forget its customary to tip tattoo artists the same way you would a hairdresser

5. Don't take alcohol or asprin before hand to help with the pain. They are blood thinners and make you bleed more. IB profen is okay to take beforehand because its not a blood thinner

6. Eat before hand. You want to make sure there is something in your stomach and your blood sugar levels up. I have seen guys covered in tattoos forget to eat before hand and pass out (pretty funny to me-lol)

--My older brother has worked for the tattoo shop in town for the last 8 years and I sit and hang out with him in the shop every afternoon, so I have seen a lot....

Last edited:
What kind of shots...?

Alcohol before a tattoo is a big no-no.

Oh, the shop I go to makes you sign a waver that you have not taken any drugs (illegal) or alcohol, as the excessive bleeding messes with color, and being intoxicated, you may not want what you got, the next day.

I am sure it was to take the edge off, but the shop i frequent will not tattoo you if you smell like alcohol.

Ibuprofen will thin the blood, Tylenol won't. I just had to go through that with my surgeon for my operation 2 weeks ago, as I don't like tylenol for my head aches and I was not allowed my Advil for 4 days prior.

You should not really take anything before hand anyway, as they won't help with the pain.

Take it after to help with swelling if you feel the need. Ice helps too if you want to add ice, but really, pain in relative, but it isnt that bad, and it is nothing like giving blood or getting injections, as it is not going that deep.

Relax and enjoy it! No need to get yourself all worked up.

I have one tattoo, it's on my lower mid back (starts around the ribs). It was my first tattoo and so far is my only tattoo. The artist thought I was nuts for wanting one over my spine like that for my first, but he did it anyway, offered me breaks ever 20 minutes or so (though I only took two in the two hours it took). I was expecting pain, but it tickled to me more than anything, and I have a low pain tolerance in my own opinion. It all depends on your own body.

Tara- if I remember correctly you aren't TOO far from me...do you mind if I ask what shop you use? Did you ever hear of The Quillian, in Allentown PA? Thats where I went/am going back to...

I don't think we are too far either, Megan.

I went to originally Wizard's One, to Rob Conroy, but he has his own/sort of shop in Emmaus, Wizard's III.

I currently have 2 tattoos.
One of a lady bug/rose on my ankle and the other are 3 stars behind my ear.
I honestly think both of them hurt, the pain was intense but it wasn't unbearable.
It was very uncomfortable at times though.
This one on my ankle was $80

And my stars were $65

I got my tattoo done, it's of a panther holding a rose. I think I paid $85. It's about 3 inches. I didn't know you are supposed to tip, so I didn't (oops!). Make sure you do. And make sure you eat beforehand! I didn't, and I ended up passing out. Not cause of the pain though, I didn't think that was too bad.

Mine's on my shoulderblade, and that's apparently one of the worse spots to get it, along with anywhere else where there's not a lot of fat, cause it's like directly on the bone. I could tell when they were doing it more over the bone vs. over the fat. It wasn't bad enough though that I would have chose another spot. I'll echo whoever else said it: don't chicken out on getting it where you want it just because it's supposed to be a painful spot. I heard the shoulderblades were painful, but that was where I wanted the panther... and that's where I got it. I don't think I would have liked it as much if I'd had to stick it somewhere else cause I was afraid of the pain...

panthertattoo2.jpg

I have Elvis' silhouette tattooed on my right ankle and honestly it did not hurt at all. But I have an incredibly high pain threshold. What did hurt was the fact he wanted to hold my foot while doing the tattoo. I can't tolerate anyone touching my feet so I told him that was a no-no. He almost didn't give it to me, but I promised him I would never move or flinch as long as he never touched any part of my foot and we both kept our promises. I also have chinese symbols on top of my right foot and again no pain--and again he didn't touch my foot. I simply placed my foot on his leg while he did it.
I've wanted to get a phoenix rising from the ashes to cover my whole left foot and will get that tattoo should I ever get my fat butt below 200lbs! Maybe 2010 for my birthday.
I agree that tattoos are addicting, they are very personal as well.

Latest posts

Back