Supplements during pregnancy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scambone

I’ve read on some websites that pregnant mothers should take supplements, or ¼ of a tum or use a cuttlebone. Fact or myth? Any other tips you can give me to make this easier for her? I’m used to having boys!

I wouldn't give anything like calcium supplements to a pregnant chin. A good quality chinchilla pellet is enough for a mother chin. I don't think a cuttlebone would cause any problems, but it would be best to stay away from the TUMS.

I would agree with Susan. it is best to not give them anything but their basic pellet. I good mother that is looked after and is fed a good quality pellet will be able to produce enough milk to be able to feed her kits adequately.

I've heard of offering cuttlebone after the kits were delivered to help with milk production, but not during the pregnancy. I haven't offered anything different to my pregnant chins, just good pellets and good quality hay.

Unless my female has lighter colored teeth after she littered, I will then put some dried goats milk mixed with crushed pellets for calcium. It is good for both kits and mom.

During pregnancy, I do not give anything.

I have not heard of anyone giving cuttlebone to help with milk production before. I have heard of it being given in small doses if mom's teeth should turn white due to lack of calcium (being drained by the kits).

I don't supplement mom's with anything. I just provide good pellets, hay, and fresh water.

I've given cuttlebone before to nursing moms with larger litters if I noticed their teeth were turning white but now I just give alfalfa hay to my pregnant/nursing females and growers. Alfalfa hay has a higher Calcium:phosphorous ratio than grass hays and I feel it is a good source of calcium with other benefits for pregnant/nursing females and growers as well.

We give a good supplement to our pregnant and nursing females. Although we are consistent with our feed, not all batches are exactly the same. (We have lab tested our pellets and they deviate some with the time of year, availability of raw materials and the area in which the raw ingredients were grown).

Latest posts

Back