Stumped on color

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrylovables

This little girl was born on May 1st to Audrey and Cole. Audrey is a standard and Cole is an extra dark ebony. Audrey's background does have Ebony, Standard and Ebony and Coles background is Standard and Ebony. When I blow on her fur, her fur is jet black. But her top coat is chocolate? I can't figure her out. I can send more pics if necessary.

Attachments

• Audrey's baby 001.jpg
    Audrey's baby 001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Audrey's baby 002.jpg
    Audrey's baby 002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 113
I recall reading about some lines of ebonies that look brownish when young and eventually darken to the regular ebony color upon reaching adulthood. I've also read about standards which one breeder termed "cinnamon babies" as they are brown-tinged as babies and then grow up to look like normal standards as adults.

If her background only has ebony and standard, I think she may be one of those that will darken up to normal eb color over time. I would love to see pictures as she grows though... especially if she does not darken up.

Also, how is the clarity on the parents? Just curious if lack of clarity could have led to the redness as opposed to the crisper blue eb color.

Her mom is a perfect standard, medium color, crisp white belly and dad is a jet black perfect extra dark ebony. I forgot to put that Audrey has beige in her background. I am keeping her and will post pics in the future.

Here's Audrey and Cole, I had to lure Cole with a dust bath in Becky's cage. You can see him in the run in Audrey's pic.

Attachments

• Audrey and Cole 001.jpg
    Audrey and Cole 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Audrey and Cole 002.jpg
    Audrey and Cole 002.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 89
I would say it is a orangy eb which at that young age isn't a bad thing sometimes it means they will get really good. But I would call it an eb

I was told when they are babies if they are red that they will turn to a dark ebony. I purchased a ebony that was red and she turned out to be a very nice ebony (no red at all).

I would say cinnamon as well, but I'd also watch your airflow. Your runs look very closed off and oxidation happens quickly. It might just be the photo or my monitor but I see red in the mom's fur ( probably oxidation if she was shown and didn't have issues with color ). Oxidation can be very hard on your showing, even if you have animals that you know are blue it can really knock them down on the table.

Agreed, I have really had to watch my airflow but for ear infection reasons in kits. Your runs do look closed off...Is that for keeping mess in?

im still learning a lot about the colors and that looks what but my opinion is an ebony and a rather cute one at that

Agreed, I have really had to watch my airflow but for ear infection reasons in kits. Your runs do look closed off...Is that for keeping mess in?

The backs are just closed off to keep in the litter. These are 6 hole runs on a stand with wheels. Not all of my runs are closed. They get plenty of air flow in my garage. We changed the garage last year, took off the garage door and added a window and french doors. The room that their in is 24 x 30. Its always very cool and breezy in their.

Latest posts

Back