Stray chicken

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konayipark

baby_godzilla
There's a stray chicken in our neighborhood (mind you, I live in an urban area) that my husband and I have named Norma. I have no idea what she eats, but she hangs around the flower beds in front of our place all day. I'd like to purchase some feed for her, but I have NO clue about anything chicken related.

I've called a few local feed stores asking if they sell "chicken feed," but none so far do. Am I not asking for the correct item? Is there somewhere online where I can purchase some food for her? What should I be looking for?

I've called the local no-kill shelter who has said that if we bring her in, she'd probably get adopted for a farm right away, but Norma has proven to be quite elusive.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

They sell chicken feed at the Walmarts here...but I AM in Arizona. LOL As far as I know chickens will eat a lot of different things. My neighbors chickens LOVE anything green. They eat all her grass and any plants they can get to. So maybe something like some green beans or something like that if you can't find the feed?

We tried giving her chickens some old waste chinnie feed and they wouldn't eat it...LOL

I would think that there would at least be a feedstore around that would have it. It's a pretty common thing to have at a feedstore. Do they have it at a larger petstore? Chicken feed is the proper term for it...I think it's mostly cracked corn, but I could be completely wrong.

Mix some corn meal & tofu into a gritty paste... Try and box him in... Run him towards a structure , he will not fight if cornered. try and grab him by the butt, then hang him upside down by the legs. Just like most chins they calm down immediately.
Oh and wear safety goggles and gloves... LOL There wings will definitely scratch your eyes, if you dont do this all the time.

Thanks for the advice!

Finally tracked down a local bird feed store that sold cracked corn. Bought some, took it home, and threw some on the ground for the Norma, and she took to eating it right away. What a good (hungry) girl, she is.

wow a lost chicken in an urban setting! Reminds me of the time I saw a lost chicken at the Euro Disney... It was really weird to see a chicken in front of their version of the Cinderella Castle.

Maybe someone in the neighborhood is trying to keep chickens for fresh eggs? I was watching some silly reality TV show (erm... might be the Kardashian one) where people were trying to be more organic/green by raising their own chickens for eggs.

In almost every city I have lived in there are stray chickens around. They are pretty resourceful and find what they need.. And contrary to the belief they dont really "cross the road." Most Ive seen stay in the same yards all the time.

If you can find out where Norma roosts you could try catching her at night. Once a towel is thrown over her she will be easy to scoop up. Unfortunately they usually roost higher up in a low tree if they can.

Another suggestion is to start feeding her in a corner of your front yard and try to throw a towel over her. This is really hard and almost impossible to do alone with a healthy chicken. I used to rescue egret and heron babies and those guys could give you a run if they were able.

Once caught keep her in a small dark holder as this will calm her and prevent injury. We used a cat carrier that had never been used for cats. Be careful about offering water unless you can watch to make sure it doesn't spill and wet the container.

You're lucky you caught a hen because they do find good homes and I know that there are a lot of good rescues in your area.

In almost every city I have lived in there are stray chickens around. They are pretty resourceful and find what they need.. And contrary to the belief they dont really "cross the road." Most Ive seen stay in the same yards all the time.
You'd be surprised at Norma. This gal walks across our busy street ("road") as if she owns the place. Cars stop for her as she takes her time walking across. There's a Jeep for sale across the street that's been parked there forever whose hood she's taken a real liking to. She's a strange one.

If you can find out where Norma roosts you could try catching her at night. Once a towel is thrown over her she will be easy to scoop up. Unfortunately they usually roost higher up in a low tree if they can.

Another suggestion is to start feeding her in a corner of your front yard and try to throw a towel over her. This is really hard and almost impossible to do alone with a healthy chicken. I used to rescue egret and heron babies and those guys could give you a run if they were able.

Once caught keep her in a small dark holder as this will calm her and prevent injury. We used a cat carrier that had never been used for cats. Be careful about offering water unless you can watch to make sure it doesn't spill and wet the container.

You're lucky you caught a hen because they do find good homes and I know that there are a lot of good rescues in your area.
Good advice, thanks! I'll let you know if I'm successful in catching her. Should I feed her out of a bowl, or am I okay just scattering it across the dirt (flower beds) that I usually find her in?

lol, I had to come read this. I never saw "stray" chickens in WA, OR or ID.

In Louisiana the cities are quite over run with them and I see them crossing the road (with chicks in tow!) daily. It's quite comical.

She's good to keep around for keeping bugs down, if you could find her nest you could have fresh eggs. :D

Either way of feeding her is good and she probably is eating all the bugs around too.

If you want to catch her I would try a bowl that would be in a place that would increase your chances. Norma would also probably love some chicken mash if you can find it. If you can't catch her supplementing her diet like you are is awesome and there are actually lots of feral chickens in cities. I think that the advantage of Norma going to a proper farm is that she will have better protection from predators and a proper diet.

Chickens can however also be great pets and some even grow to like their human companions. My husband had a hen as a kid that would sit in his lap and get scrtches. Of course that's a lot of work so it's not for everyone.

If you need local bird contections I may be able to help too.

You're absolutely right - what I'm most concerned about is Norma's diet. You have local bird connections?! Girl, I'm PMing you right now, thanks!

Back