Strange Noises Help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

manda-panda

At night, when my chinchilla is awake, she will go into her box often and start making this noise. It sounds a lot like barking, but it is more pathetic than that noise. I dont know what to do. Is she hurt? scared? or just doing her warning call?

I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks guys.

Some chins can be very vocal. I'm guessing it's the "mee mee mee meeee" noise. I heard it was a warning type of call, nothing to be worried about. My chins do it a lot more at night too.

Whew. Thanks. Are you sure? She sounds sad, or scared? Maybe she is just vocal.

I'm a college student (seriously considering a vet career) and I've never had an animal like a chinchilla. They are so fun but I worry so much too! Lol.

I don't recall hearing chins making noises when they are hurt. They are prey animals, so they are very discrete and hide any pain/illness very well.

I've heard 4 different kinds of noises from my chins:

- soft peep-peeping noises when they are let out to play
- kacking when you touch them wrong/bug them/or a cage mate is bugging them
- the mee-mee alarm call sound that I'd bet is what your chin is doing
- the death scream - this loud 'EEEEEEEEEE' I dunno why they do it, they aren't really dying, but it sounds like they are. Everytime I check on them after they do it, they look at me like I've lost my marbles.. so I don't get it, lol.

But it's normal to be over protective. Generally just watch their food intake, water intake, activity level, poops - amount, color, consistency can tell you a lot. Also be sure to check them out once a week for any wounds, hair loss, discharge, or hair ring checks if it's a male.

Last edited:
Lol. Kay, I just came home for spring break and I bet she is just doing it because of the new environment. Thanks! <3

Yep, if you've been gone for awhile and there is some change I've noticed they can do it more often. I turned off a light once beside one of the chin cages at night, and the warning calls started for awhile.

Yep, It sounds like your chin is either warning or calling. Mine do it all the time. It just takes something a little out of the ordinary to get them going. I agree, they do sound really sad when they are doing it.

is it more of a whining/barking sound? My chin does that occasionally, and it sounds so sad...we've figured out after a long bout of process of elimination that he just wanted to be talked to and played with. We think it's just a chin's way of saying "I'm lonely! Will you come keep me company?!"

If it sounds like that might be it, try going to her and talking to her when she does it and see if she just wants the company.

That sounds link is so funny to listen to. Chins are social animals and have many different calls to talk to eachother. I'm guessing that we humans are reacting to their sounds in completely wrong ways. I've done the same thing after hearing a scream, rushed in to check on them, and found them giving me the leave me alone stare. They were perfectly fine, and because I associated the sound with upset, I became upset also. I hope that explanation makes sense. Humans tend to put their emotions on animals, I guess that is the gist of it. My most favorite noise of all is when you hear them calling to eachother during play with the very low quiet peep peep peep noise. My guess is you'll hear the scream many many more times, and you'll probably never be able to figure out the reason behind it, because they are only doing these things to drive us crazy. ha ha ha - Jessica

I have two chins that came from less than stellar situations, and they both have woken me up with their nighttime screaming. I rush in here expecting the worst and they're asleep! If you ever hear it at night and you chin is sleeping, he/she might be having a nightmare...

Since he/she is awake, it might just be a cry for attention (think of an infant crying, maybe?).

Latest posts

Back