Still Somewhat Unsure...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooonhead

Hi all, I'm Adam.

Firstly, great website. Alot of helpful info and such that has only deepened my resolve to get my own Chinnies.

I am interested in getting two female Chinchilla's of the same kit or that get along in the same cage - I want them to have a play mate rather than rely on myself when I sleep at night. Though I would be open to two males. I'm not looking to breed so no opposite sex.

I have checked out the forums but have a few questions to ask. Please help as much as you can thanks;

1. Water - I see they cannot have tap due to the bacteria. Could you recommend any filters or a cheap water that will do the trick? Are there any filters that would work?

2. Gender - I decided on girls as I thought two males may fight sometimes or play a bit too rough. Also the 'hair-ring' kinda put me off haha. Is this a good choice or can males be just as good and well behaved as females?

3. Cost - What are the average monthly running costs for a Chinchilla? Obviously with the current financial climate, I dont want to have to give them away in the future. This is mostly about feed, water, ect. though do include potential larger payments that may need to be made during the year.

4. Feed, Water, Bedding ect. - Coudl any UK Chinchilla owners please recommend any good providers and costs, or perhaps let me know what they would use and its cost?

5. Temperature - My room is almost always below 70 so no worry of hitting any higher. During the day, whilst at work, I will probably leave the window slightly ajar to allow some cool air to come in and take out the musky hot air. Would going below 50 be as harmful as passing 70 given their thick coats?

6. Sleeping - Do they sleep on or (like hamsters) within their bedding?

7. Fleece Liners & Toilet - I hear alot of people use fleece liners as they can just be shook out and washed rather than use wood shavings. Would the lining be okay to be on the bottom of the cage or would they chew at this?

8. Breeders - I have been looking at local breeders, though I know a store called Pets At Home sells Chinchillas. I was wondering if anyone in the UK knew of a North West breeder so as to minimise trauma on transporting the cute little boys/girls?

9. Baths - I know, I know. NO WATER! :) They use very fine sand or dust baths for 15-20 minutes for 2-3 times a week. Anyone recommend some?

Okay, thats about it. For now. Haha. If you can help out with one question, great. All - fantastic. I just want to see peoples opinions and get some help. I dont wish to take on a Chinchilla then find I am missing something or have the wrong feed, bedding, ect.

If you feel you have anything to ask of me or wish to say anything else, I encourage you to do so. Don't think you will insult me, after all its about their health and happiness at the end of the day. So the more I know the better.

Thanks everyone.

You mentioned the cost of food and water which isn't much (don't forget the cost of dust, toys and better cages) but also it is the vet costs that can get very high.

Hi, i can try and answer some of your questions :)

1) I would just have a look in Argos for the water filtering systems :-http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8422776/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/Trail/searchtext%3EWATER.htm You can use it yourself so really works both way haha :D

2) Ive got two girls, i had Lola first and then got her Dotty a year on. They get on well but do have a dominance tiff every now and again and from what ive read on here boys arent much different.

3) I cant really give you a propper estimate on price, its the cost of the cage and accessories that cost the most i think. I use two different foods and when i get halfway down a bag a reorder and sometimes i order in bulk. You could always save up some money monthly just incase of any vet bills in the future as it can be expensive.

4) For alot of my stuff i order from :- http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/ They have the two foods i use and my chinnies love their Timothy Hay, it also have lots of chew toys, treats and gives a link for and Ebay store. For fleece items try :- http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/ You can also buy bulk food off Amazon aswell.

5) I dont worry too much about the temperature, aslong as its not too cold they can cuddle and warm up in a house.

6) Mine dont sleep in bedding, they usually sleep on they highest shelf in their cage snuggled together :D If its warm they go in their house to get out of the sun.

7) I dont use fleece liners i tried it but it didnt work out, im thinking about buying a bimble pad off hamocky hammocks and trying a litter tray with kiln dry pine shavings so less mess :D

8) Im not sure where you live in the UK but i live near Birmingham, West Midlands and i got my second chin Dotty from a breader that worked at a garden centre. You could always do a search on google for breeders.

9) Again Chinchillas2Shop do a very very fine sand and they love it, i also mix that with the normal bathing sand i get from my local pet shop at 55p a Kilo i cant complain and the fine dust i buy makes their fur go fluffy :D

Hi and welcome! Im new here but I have been snoopin' around this forum for a long time.
There is so much GREAT information on here, huh?!
Im not too new to chinchillas as I have been researching for years and have been around them in the past so I know quite a bit about them, not everything, but I know a thing or two ;)

As for your questions, I'll try and answer what I can and what I cant, Im sure other members will be around shortly to help you!

1. Water - I see they cannot have tap due to the bacteria. Could you recommend any filters or a cheap water that will do the trick? Are there any filters that would work?
-Answer: I give my chin's tap water and I know most people do. I havnt herd much about not being able to give them tap water unless something is seriously wrong with it. I dont see why you couldnt give your future chins tap water if its clean. If you can drink it, Im sure they can.

2. Gender - I decided on girls as I thought two males may fight sometimes or play a bit too rough. Also the 'hair-ring' kinda put me off haha. Is this a good choice or can males be just as good and well behaved as females?
-Answer: I have girls. I havnt had boys so I do not know personally but I do know a little about genders as I have read up on it. I know that females and males both have the same chance of not getting along same as the other. I have read though that females "can" be a bit harder to introduce because of territorial issues though. But thats just something I have herd, I dont know if its true. Over all, males and females usually are the same when getting a pair to get along. Its a give or take chance so your best bet is to get two that are bonded and you KNOW will get along. Males can love another male just as much as a female can love another female. They dont play any rougher. In my opinion, from what I have read, Males and females are pretty much the same. All chinchillas have their own personalities. Gender doesnt matter.

3. Cost - What are the average monthly running costs for a Chinchilla? Obviously with the current financial climate, I dont want to have to give them away in the future. This is mostly about feed, water, ect. though do include potential larger payments that may need to be made during the year.
-Answer: Depends. How much do YOU WANT to spend? And how much are you WILLING to spend? I spoil my girls. I buy order them stuff all the time and go out and buy them stuff, if not on a daily basis, a weekly basis. They really arnt that expensive to keep. But you do have to set aside some emergency money if a vet bill ever arises. You will soon find out (if you get chinchillas) it is VERY hard to not spend money on them. You will spend more than you ever though just trying to spoil and keep them happy! :D lol Its a illness most of us chinchilla lovers have and sadly its incurable

4. Feed, Water, Bedding ect. - Coudl any UK Chinchilla owners please recommend any good providers and costs, or perhaps let me know what they would use and its cost?
-Answer: You can find most everything you need that you can order here: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25 That link will really help you with supplies, food, ect.

5. Temperature - My room is almost always below 70 so no worry of hitting any higher. During the day, whilst at work, I will probably leave the window slightly ajar to allow some cool air to come in and take out the musky hot air. Would going below 50 be as harmful as passing 70 given their thick coats?
-Answer: I know that chinchillas like cooler temperatures. I am not too sure though on 50 degrees. I know like 65-70 is good and usually normal for most people. I keep my house at 70 and they seam very comfortable. You just need to watch out on drafts with them. I know too much of a draft isnt good.

6. Sleeping - Do they sleep on or (like hamsters) within their bedding?
-Answer: My chinchillas do not sleep in the bedding. I use fleece cage liners though. They sleep on their shelves or ledges. I have fleece made pillows on there shelves so they are cumffy :)) Chinchillas usually have a favorite spot in the cage they like to sleep. Fleece PVC tunnels, hammocks, pillows, ect. are all a good idea of some items you might want to get as chinchillas usually do not sleep in the bedding like other small animals.

7. Fleece Liners & Toilet - I hear alot of people use fleece liners as they can just be shook out and washed rather than use wood shavings. Would the lining be okay to be on the bottom of the cage or would they chew at this?
-Answer: The fleece liners for cages are meant to go on the bottom of the cage in place of wood shavings. Chinchillas chew, but they chew wood. They do not seam to chew fleece and most members, myself included, have fleece all over in their cages without a problem.

8. Breeders - I have been looking at local breeders, though I know a store called Pets At Home sells Chinchillas. I was wondering if anyone in the UK knew of a North West breeder so as to minimise trauma on transporting the cute little boys/girls?
-Answer: You can google chinchilla breeders in your area and lots of listings will come up. Also, some breeders post in classifieds sites on the web, so look at those too. www.craigslist.com is a classifieds site that always has chinchilla needing homes, you can try looking there. I am in the US so I cant help you much on this one. Sorry.

9. Baths - I know, I know. NO WATER! They use very fine sand or dust baths for 15-20 minutes for 2-3 times a week. Anyone recommend some?
-Answer: Blue cloud or blue sparkle dust. You can actually order it here from the forum. There are lots of people selling it. Here is the link again with supplies for sale, just look threw it for some: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Hope this helped! And maybe other members can get on and give you their answers on these questions! :)) Have fun on the forum! See you around!!!

1. Tap water here in the UK should be Ok, as long as you're not in an area that puts fluoride in the water I think (the North West doesn't as far as I know).

2. I think temperament is more down to the individual chin than determined by gender. Remember females are more likely to spray! Hair ring checks aren't as bad as they sound, but yeah, if you're nervous about that you might be better with females. You may well find it harder to get two young females though, as breeders are more inclined to keep them.

3. Mine costs me about £35 every couple of months or so. What really costs me is keeping him in chew toys (these are essential to keep teeth worn), it wouldn't be so bad if he'd bother with sticks as they'd last longer, but he isn't interested. Vet bills for chins are expensive, they need to see a vet with chin experience.

4. I mainly get things from chinchillas2shop.co.uk, and some from Pets at Home (don't trust them on treat suitability, though). There's also:
http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/
for fleece items, and for cages there's John Hopewell:
http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/

6. They don't build nests like hamsters, but like to have a hidey house to sleep in, and also usually like fleece hammocks. They'll sleep on their shelves a lot too. A lot of cages have a wire bottomed floor, so any bedding goes in the tray underneath (I use Carefresh, which he would eat if he could get at it).

7. Most chins don't chew fleece (they will 'taste' it at first), though some do, you just have to keep an eye on them.

8. I'd never buy an animal from Pets at Home again, honestly, after the problems I've had with animals from them (rabbits with genetic malo). Especially a chin, as they live so long I'd want to know the background.
Breeders in the North West:
Allan and Carole Mills
http://www.altcar-chinchillas.co.uk/
I got my own chin from them, they're really nice and make an effort to handle the babies so they're friendly. Allan is the Secretary for the Northern region of the National Chinchilla Society, so if you ring him and he doesn't have what you're looking for, he may be able to put you in touch with someone who does.
There's Richard and Eddie Crutchley, although theirs tend to go to fellow breeders they do have some younger animals sometimes:
http://www.edchinchillas.co.uk/
and there's Sam, she has some kits sometimes, though has lately mainly been advertising some of her older chins she's retiring from breeding (remember that 5-6 or a few years older really isn't old at all for a chin), if you scroll down here you can see her contact details (she's in Preston):
http://www.cheekychinchillas.com/forsale.html
Those are the three I mainly know, anyway.

I would make sure the breeder is with the NCS, and isn't just someone who has bred a litter from their two pet shop chins and has no idea if they may have malo or not. You should get a pedigree, the only reason a breeder may not give one is if they don't want the chin used for breeding, then you may get a partial pedigree or birth certificate.

9. I just use the dust Pets at Home sells, actually I personally give more baths than that, five minutes each day, though people will differ on this (and you do have to watch out for dry skin if you're giving more frequent baths, their coats look better for it though and I think they appreciate it).

Chins are obviously a huge commitment since they live 15-20 years if cared for correctly, they're even more of a commitment than a cat or dog if anything (also harder to find someone trustworthy to watch a chin if you go away). They poo constantly, they try to chew everything (including the WALLS), they're really not 'cuddly' and usually don't like to be held (and may kack and snarl at you), some won't even tolerate being fussed for very long. I think they're worth it, but be sure you do! :hilarious: Well, Ok, it depends what you want from a pet. They can be very affectionate (my boy is actually unusually so, I've been told a lot how lucky I am with him because he will sit with me, and is Ok with being held. I'm aware that isn't the norm, though). It's just better not to count on them keeping still for long, things are on their terms. They're certainly great fun to watch in their antics, and are very intelligent.

-Answer: I give my chin's tap water and I know most people do. I havnt herd much about not being able to give them tap water unless something is seriously wrong with it. I dont see why you couldnt give your future chins tap water if its clean. If you can drink it, Im sure they can.

i'm sorry to say, but this is rather bad advice.

our human systems can handle a lot more than an itty bitty chinchilla's system can. giardia, a parasite commonly found in water supplies, can be deadly to a chin, even if you do get it to a vet right away.

water processed through a filter is the water you want to give your chins. Pur, Brita, etc. just make sure the filter packaging says it will filter out giardia. either a filter that fits right on your tap that you can turn on/off, or a jug style one that goes in your fridge.

To the above post:

I am pretty sure I did not give bad advise as I know for a fact that breeders and most chinchilla owners give their chinchillas tap water. There is NO way on earth breeders that have hundreds of chinchillas give there chins bottled or spring water. It would cost WAY too much money.
If the water is safe and chemical free then yes, you can give tap water.

To the above post:

I am pretty sure I did not give bad advise as I know for a fact that breeders and most chinchilla owners give their chinchillas tap water. There is NO way on earth breeders that have hundreds of chinchillas give there chins bottled or spring water. It would cost WAY too much money.
If the water is safe and chemical free then yes, you can give tap water.

A lot of breeders have large filtration (reverse osmosis) systems for their herds and some give water with antibacterial agents in it. A lot of owners will claim a chin's lifespan is 6-8 years...

Everyone I know personally gives filtered water to their chinchillas, counting myself. No one is asking to give bottled or spring water, just to give water that you know is free of giardia and other cysts and contaminates. You say "If the water is safe and chemical free then yes, you can give tap water", have you had your water tested? Do you know that it is indeed safe? How many people do you know who goes out of their way to have their tap water tested?

And also spring water isn't safe to give chins either. It needs to go through a filtration system that gets rid of giardia and the most effective at removing all agents is reverse osmosis so Ann you may want to double check your filter on how it filters. Charcoal doesn't do the trick which is a method a lot of the commercial filters use.

I do buy water for my chins specifically as i say it's worth the price to pay for the water than the price of dealing with hand feedings, vet visits, the cost of meds and fighting for one of my girl's lives.

To the person who states that they know of tons of breeders who give tap water, you are either making it up or know "like" one breeder or you failed chinchilla 101.

I stated my opinion and my thoughts. I have a right to. The person asked questions and I said I'd answer them the best I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed previously deleted inappropriate comment from Quote

I stated my opinion and my thoughts. I have a right to. The person asked questions and I said I'd answer them the best I can.

Opinions are fine when they relate to OMG what cage should I get or OMG what color fleece, but when it comes to medical issues you need to have correct info and not spout out something that can kill a chin in the right situation-giardia and parasites that are found in tap water can kill chinchillas and they are a real PITA to get rid off. My area in the EXPENSIVE silicone valley CA where the average 3 bed house is over 800k dollars has the high end of "human safe" giardia in the water, the vets here do not recommend tap water for pets, so my point is it can be in any water supply for the public. If you do not know a medical question question then don't answer it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that the sex of the chins really doesnt matter, I personally have found boys more willing to let me pet them/hold them but it totally depends. I know many people here have had the oposite experience. As for the Hair ring check, they are so simple once you know what to do. Its a lot of bype about something that isnt that bad at all. Also boys really dont play any different than girls as far as I've seen.

With 9 chins I figured that cost to be about 40 a month or so. Thats AFTER you have all your cages/shelves/water bottles/etc. basic stuff. It ony includes all that I spend on pellets/hay/chews(new toys, wood) and a water filter I buy every 4 to 6 months.

Vet costs are what kills you in terms of cost. You're porbably going to need an exotic vet or one who knows what they are doing.

I like fleece liners the best. You buy them once and can reuse them over and over. I havnt had a problem with smell or anyone chewing on the fleece. As long as you change it every 4 days or so you should be good.

As far as temperature, this winter it was 49degrees at the lowest and the chins didnt seem to mind it one bit. The chins seemed more active. I think they liked it a little more than in the summer when it get about 65 to 70 down there.

For dust the best is Blue cloud. You havnt lived until you've felt how soft they are after using BlueCloud. There are other acceptable brands like Blue Sparkle or if you have allergies you can use Sweet PDZ( I know there are other allergy alternitives but cant remember them right now)

what type of cage are you planing on? Feed?

ChinchillaLoves, I deleted your post because you were self policing which is against the rules here. If anyone has an issue with a post, there is a "!" warn button and if the moderation team feels it is inappropriate we will deal with it accordingly.

Please stay on topic and keep personal issues with each other off the public forum. It doesn't help anyone here to see it.

Firstly thanks for all the help. I've been looking around and decided these look the best to get. Could you let me know if they look good and of prices? -

Hay - Oxbow Timothy Hay as it seems a favourite - http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/hay+food.htm

Feed - Still unsure at the moment as I dont know whats good or not

Chews - Pumice stone, Apple and Pear Sticks and Ice Cream Sticks for fun http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/wood_chews.htm

Treats - Apple Treats and perhaps try others - http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/treats.htm

Cage - A John Hopewell which I will add more ledges to - http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productdetail.page.xml&productId=3

Other - Tunnel - http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/product_st_camo.htm
Hammock - http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/product_mo_camo.htm
Flooring to cage - http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/product_bipp_camo.htm

Obviously if you think any of these look poor choices or have other recommendations then I'm still open to hearing them. The Chinchilla isnt even bought yet. Haha

I meanly went with Chinchillas2Shop and HammockyHammocks because I feel if I go to a recognised place, I will have more likelihood of keeping the safe food, whereas if I bought from a private dealer then I may not be able to get that food again.

Still haven't found anywhere that does sand/dust for the Chinchilla yet.

Siany - For the water filter, do you use that one? If so, how often do you have to change the filter on it?

Everyone else - You say it may cost alot in vet bills. But I thought that if given a good lifestyle they wouldn't need to go much if at all. What is the most common thing I would need to take them to the vet for? Oh, and I may want to get males. If it did get a 'hair-ring', how easy is it to fix this problem?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and I hope to hear more on what I have chosen to pick. Please give all negatives and positives and I will gladly listen/read them.

Thanks! Hope to have my two guys or gals by either May 15 or June 15 (I get paid on these days :p). Will look to buy everything though in prep for them arriving. :D

i'm sorry to say, but this is rather bad advice.

our human systems can handle a lot more than an itty bitty chinchilla's system can. giardia, a parasite commonly found in water supplies, can be deadly to a chin, even if you do get it to a vet right away.

water processed through a filter is the water you want to give your chins. Pur, Brita, etc. just make sure the filter packaging says it will filter out giardia. either a filter that fits right on your tap that you can turn on/off, or a jug style one that goes in your fridge.

Just so you know, Brita does not filter out microbial cysts (giardia) so it is not recommended.

OP, yes it's true that if you give a chin great care you are less likely to have to deal with expensive vet bills... however chins are very delicate animals and accidents happen even to the most experienced owners. You can never expect what might happen, so it's always necessary to have money set aside or a billing system set up BEFORE the unexpected happened.

Latest posts

Back