Stepped on chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillasrox

My chins and i were out for playtime about 30 min. ago and I accidentially stepped on him. He is now limping and won't put any weight on his back leg. I am very worried. We don't have access to an emergency vet. I put him and his brother in a smaller cage without ledges. I put his brother in there with him because we were worried about him being more stressed without him. Should we take him out? Please help me out here. We don't have access to a vet untill tomorrow morning.

Take his brother out. You don't want any chance of him landing on the hurt chin.

He could have internal injuries. Are you sure there is no emergency vet in your area?

We are calling in tomorrow when theybopen ti get thie first possible appt. I'm just worried about my little guy. I will moniter how much he aets and drinks for tonight.

i would be at the vet, waiting at the door the moment they opened. never mind calling. x-rays will need to be done.

keep us updated!

I wouldn't bother calling either. I would also be waiting at the door, and then making it known that this is a true emergency and your chin needs to be seen asap. X-rays are a must. Good luck and keep us informed.

please keep us informed mate, I'm curious about the consequences. Hope it ain't nothing too serious...
I'm just wondering, how did you manage to step on him? he ran under your foot or...?

I'm just wondering, how did you manage to step on him? he ran under your foot or...?

I was stepping over a baby gate we were using for playtime and didn't see him, and he ran under my foot :( We are going to the vet today for x-rays

If its broken, don't be suprised if the vet wants to amputate, its the best way to deal with broken limbs in a chin and they do fine after.

If it is broke and they want to pin it I would think long and hard simply because my vet told me that pinning has a very low success rate and ending in amputation any way. So I completely agree with ticklechin. I know for my situation with my baby it was the best way to go and let me just say having 3 legs has not slowed her down at all.... :) I hope everything is ok with him though and he doesn't have to go through that.

I personally would have left the brother in there. They're used to being together and one chin knows when the other is hurt, they'll snuggle not play. That's my experience.

Let us know what the vet said!

Agree with amputation. Little Two Paws gets around just fine with only his 2 right legs -- he moves so fast it amazes me!!!

Also, it can never be said often enough that when chins are out if their cages, the Chinnie Shuffle MUST be done!!! If you are sliding your feet along, they will never be lifted up for a chin to get caught under and stepped on. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the wait before the update. His leg is not broken, he just has a bone bruise. We had x-rays taken and we were relived for no break. We were given metacam for pain. Is this an okay med for pain?

Years and years ago I had the same thing happen with my first chin. We rushed him to the vet and he appeared to have a sprain....he was fine in two days with no other problems. I stepped on his side and his leg. I spent a fortune on xrays and emergency care. We were very lucky!

I'm glad that his leg isn't broken! Metacam is alright for pain...I hope he doesn't need it for long. :)

This is just a lesson to everyone about being careful when chins are out...accidents can happen so easily.

I'm glad everything is alright, I'm sure he'll be feeling better in no time!

He has been in a seperate cage now, and i cleaned the cage. He has been in there for about 2 hrs. I dont see any poops in his bedding, but he doesn't have a hard belly. Is this normal? Should we rub his belly with a warm washcloth to help him poop soon?

Back