Standard?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverr

Hello!!

I think I've mentioned that I got my little Buddy from my boyfriend (now fiance:D) I was under the impression that he was a standard, but upon lookign into it I'm wondering if I was wrong.
From what I understand, standards have white bellys.
My Buddy does not have a white belly... its mostly grey. Theres some white, like, highlights, but not entirely white.
So now I wonder what category he falls into... any suggestions?

(he looks kinda squished in the one pic... I assure you hes fine. He just likes sleeping on top of his tube as much as in it;p)

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 68
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 73
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 65
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 60
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 52
Yup, I'd say an ebony too. No belly shots needed, it's pretty clear from the pictures. :)

Your lil Buddy is really adorable; love the pillow pic.

I have a girl that looks just like him, but I was told she's a charcoal. I don't trust the person I got her from very much, so she could have told me the wrong information. What are the differences between charcoal and ebony? (Sorry I'm posting my question in your thread!!)

He's an ebony. The pictures are clear enough to say that it's ebony fur. :) Light to medium ebony... :) Most of the time an ebony and charcoal could be considered to be the same thing. I've seen people say charcoal in reference to the light to medium ebonies...it could be used as a descriptive term in that regard. Mostly, charcoal ends up just being ebony.

Like you, I mistook my ebony female for a standard, but I've learned otherwise. ^_^ ebonies are cute! Ebonies ftw.

There are true recessive charcoals in the UK but there are very few breeders in the US who have true charcoals... I see "charcoal" used to describe ebony chins bred by backyard breeders on Craigslist pretty often.

By the pictures I have seen, true charcoals have a matte appearance while our ebonies tend to have a glossier look to the fur, especially in the "homozygous" or extra dark state. Both the charcoal and ebony genes cause the chin's color to wrap around the body so that he/she does not have a white belly.

Here is a picture of a true charcoal, from a UK breeder, Azure Chinchillas's website:
CUShimma1.jpg

I know Davidson Chinchillas in the UK breeds charcoals but their website seems to be down at the moment: http://www.davidson-chinchillas.co.uk

Your little guy looks like an ebony to me!

Last edited:
i had mistaken one of mine for a standard also because her sister was a standard so we never paid any attention to it and then one day i realized her belly wasnt white...so i learn from my mistakes:)

Interesting Sumiko, but does that chin look obese or is it just me?

Yes, I was referring to the massive violet helium-filled chin that looks as though if you tied a string to its tail it would float like a balloon.

I can definitely see the difference between a charcoal and an ebony. You are right they aren't as glossy. I think I like the ebonies better personally. By the way, that fatso violet chin looks like a sumo wrestler in a bad mood.

Latest posts

Back