Spring Field Day-Frazier Park, CA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
Here is the information for the Frazier Park Spring Field day! I hope you will all join us for a very fun, educational show!

** 2013 California ECBC Field Day and Silent Auction**
Frazier Park, CA - April 13th, 2013

Event Location:
Cuddy Hall
335 Lakewood Dr
Frazier Park, CA 93225

Lodging:
Best Rest Inn, I-5 at the Frazier Park exit
http://www.bestrestinns.com
Ph: (661) 248-2700

Rod and Donna Read will also put up people who would like to sleep/crash on the floor (bring a sleeping bag!). Please contact Rod or Donna at (661) 245-1232 to make arrangements.

Schedule:
Grooming 7am-10am.**9am grooming demonstration**
Show starts 10am.
Lunch at 12pm**$5/person sandwiches, chips and fruit**

Judges:
Donna Read
**Audience participation for every class. Not mandatory, but it will be a fun, learning experience for everyone.**

Show Chair(s):
Tabitha Hong - email: [email protected]

No charge for admission to the event.
$6.00 per animal for members,
$8.50 per animal for non-members

Special Events:
Door Prize Drawing & 50/50 Drawing
Baby Derby/Cutest Chinchilla Contest – Chinchillas must be 8 weeks and fully weaned, no upper age limit. $5/entry and each member of the audience will be given 4 tickets to vote for the cutest chinchilla. There will be three prizes, more information to come later.

Other Info:
Junior breeder awards - for those with 7 years or less breeding and showing experience, points count for top 5 animals entered.

Silent Auction Show(Optional):
Silent Auction Prices: $75 minimum/ $500 maximum. Bid increment 10%, minimum $10. Animals for sale and bids must be placed through the chart coordinator at the show. Animals entered in the show do not have to be put up for sale.

10% of final sale price is payable to the CA ECBC Group by the selling rancher/breeder, regardless if the animal is shown or not.

I think I'll finally be able to make it to a show this time :) what is generally considered the minimum age a chin should be to be judged?

For entry into the regular show, I usually recommend at least 5 months of age. You won't get stellar comments on such young animals, but you will get an idea about them.

CORRECTION ON LODGING!! Best Rest Inn does not exist anymore, so the following three options are hotels in the area if you do not want to stay with Rod and Donna.

Ramada Limited
9000 Countryside Ct
Lebec, CA 93243
1-800-854-9517

Holiday Inn Express
612 Wainright Ct
Lebec, CA 93243
1-888-HOLIDAY

Motel 6 Lebec #4640
51541 N. Peace Vly Rd
Lebec, CA, 93243
(661) 248-6625

LOCATION CHANGED!!! Due to Cuddy Hall's new stipulations on renting their facility, we have to move the show location. It will still be in Frazier Park, but you will need to drive an additional 10-15 minutes to get to the new location. Rod and Donna Read generously offered the use of the old Furball Ranch barn! If you have never been to Rod and Donna's and need directions and the address, please contact me privately.

There will still be some vendor tables, but space is limited! If you need a vendor table, please contact me IMMEDIATELY! The vendor tables will be $15 for the day and about a 3' by 3' space.

Thank you for coordinating the donation, Nan and a big thank you to Cynthia for the donation!

Just to let everyone know, I just got off the phone with Donna and have a few announcements. First, breakfast will be served from 7am-9am on Saturday morning and will be pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage. At 9am, we will do our grooming demonstration which Donna has agreed to help with. She taught me how to groom and I think she is an excellent, patient teacher for grooming. If the grooming demonstration goes a little long, we may have a late start to the show...but the primary goal of this show is education so I want people to take home as much knowledge as they can and not just awards!

If you plan on staying with Rod and Donna on Friday night PLEASE call them ahead of time or let me know and I will pass it along. Anyone is welcome, but we do need to know how many people we need to make dinner for on Friday night. We also need to know arrival times and Donna would prefer no one arrive later than 10pm since we do need to get up rather early on Saturday to make breakfast.

Lunch is still build your own sandwiches, fruit and chips. It is $5/person and please let me know ahead of time if you will be there for lunch so that I can ensure I have enough food.

The baby derby prizes will be:

1st Place: 1 fleece danish donut from Annie O. owner of Chinchic, 1-2 fleece items from Shahna Thomas of Ridge Chinchillas, and 2 rectangular fleece buddies from RDZC Ranch

2nd Place: 1 pink set of wood items from Susan, owner of AZchins.com (includes a pink sconce, hanging toy, and bug)

3rd Place: 1 blue set of wood items from Susan, owner of AZchins.com (includes a blue sconce, hanging toy, and bug)

We're only about two and a half weeks away! I hope you are all as excited as I am!

Tabitha - I would like to enter 2 babies into the baby derby but I want them to be shown is it possible to do both?

Yes, you can do both, but you will need to pay the entry fees for both. We will make notes on the baby derby table as to which number cages in the show are also entries in the baby derby.

Here are some pictures of the baby derby prizes I have here!

Part of the 1st place prize...a Danish Donut from Annie O. (Chinchic) and two rectangular fleece buddies from me. All are stuffed with fleece.

DSCN2784_zps9d23ebcc.jpg

2nd Place Prize, a pink set of items from AZChins.com! The sharpie is there for size reference. The sconce and monster toy are HUGE!

DSCN2781_zpsfd963d51.jpg

3rd Place prize is a teal version of the 2nd place prize, also from AZChins.com!

DSCN2779_zps17cfdf8f.jpg

Hey, can anyone tell me if it is possible for someone to get around in an electric scooter at the Reed's place. My husband would really like to come, but he needs a scooter to get around.

If he comes, that would 3 of us for lunch and breakfast. Is there a charge for breakfast? I did not see one mentioned. We will probably get there about 8:00 am, Saturday.

There isn't really any paved road at the Reads' house, it is all dirt and gravel. It is slightly uneven in some places, but not bad...though I don't believe there is ramp access to get into their house. Let me know what model scooter it is and I can ask Donna tomorrow if it will be able to get around their place.

Breakfast is complimentary, courtesy of myself and Donna.

I spoke with Donna this morning and like I thought, getting around the property wouldn't be a problem, but there is no ramp access to the house. To get into the house from either door, you need to use a couple of stairs. Is he able to use crutches to go short distances?

It's going to be a stretch with my current schedule but I'll be driving down eaaarly Saturday morning and will need to head back shortly after it ends. See you all there!

I made reservations at the econolodge, is anyone else staying there friday night? I wouldn't mind meeting up with some people before the show gets started. Figure this should be a highly educational experience for me. This is probably a silly question, but what are some things that I should consider bringing with me aside from my animals and their food and water? I plan to bring 6 chins with me, which may be a bit over whelming for a first timer but I'm hoping it all goes well.

oh, one more question, what forms of payment are accepted for entry and for the silent auction?

Cash, check, or Paypal! :)

Other things to bring: grooming combs, a lint roller, a towel, scissors (for trimming tails), extra dust (in case of an accident!), baby wipes (again, in case of an accident), pedigrees or animal info (Animal No, DOB, sex, color), your Empress membership card (you need your membership number for the paperwork).

Jeremiah, myself and Danny (Chin Villa) will be at Rod and Donna's house on Friday night. I'll be getting there around 3-4pm and Danny will be there around 6pm. If you are in around 6pm, I can Let Donna know and you are more than welcome to join us for dinner! We could also give you some tips on grooming and you can keep your chins in the barn over night if you don't want to be kept up all night in your hotel room. Also, if they are in the barn, they can sit in show cages instead of the carriers so there is less chance of them getting their fur messy overnight.

You will do fine with 6 chins! Especially since this is a field day and we have the time to go over everything at a slower, calmer pace! I second everything Sumiko suggested. Definitely bring some hay, loose or cubed. Also, a camera with fully charged batteries and plenty of space on the memory card. Another good idea is to bring a notebook of some kind with a pen for taking notes. Make sure you do not wear any bright red, pink or yellow clothes on Saturday! We should have some lab coats that can be passed around that day, but if everyone just makes sure to wear neutral colors or blues we'll do fine with the judging portions.

For the silent auction, you are paying the seller of the animal. Most accept checks and cash and then it is the seller's responsibility to pay the 10% to the branch.

Ok great, I should have just about everything I need then. The only thing I don't have on hand is the proper grooming equipment. I have lint rollers and scissors but never have purchased any combs. Not that I'll be able to buy any in time, but who sells them? Is there a substitute that can be used? I seem to remember reading once about using a hack saw blade as a grooming comb, but never had any success with it. I've tried using one of those black plastic combs with real narrow teeth that are meant for people and that didn't seem to do much of anything either.

Also, thanks for the invite for dinner :) I'm not entirely sure what time I should be arriving tomorrow because I have to work part of the day in the morning before heading out and I'm not sure exactly what time I'll be able to hit the road. I'm thinking I'll be getting into town between 4 and 5 pm, but I can't be 100% sure. Just depends on if anything crazy happens at work. So hopefully I can be there before 6 pm. Also if you wouldn't mind putting me down for the list of people making sandwiches on Saturday, that would be great.

I will do that!

If you don't have combs, usually people will let you borrow combs at the show. You can buy combs from the ECBC national office right now. Just email Maxine at [email protected] and let her know that you are interested in buying a starting set of combs. She has some very nice combs from Argentina to sell through the national office.

Back