spayed rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spochins

Yesterday I rescued 2 female chins from a local SPCA. When they were brought into the pound they were in a carrier with a male. The SPCA elected to have both females neutered in order to insure that neither had become pregnant.
The SPCA that I rescued them from rarely deals with chins. They told me that the girls had been spayed only as an afterthought as I was ready to go out the door..
I'm not sure how long ago the procedures were performed. Their bellies are still bare and the incisions are visible. The tech told me that the sutures are self-dissolving and that it was not necessary to take them to a vet to have them removed. She also admitted that it was the first time that their vet had performed this type of procedure on a chin.
Since I brought them home, I suddenly realize that I should of asked the SPCA a thousand questions. I was wondering if anyone could lend me some insight...................
1) Following a spay, should a pain med be perscribed and for how long?
2) Should I be taking any special care of the incision?
3) Has anyone experienced a change in character once a female has been spayed? I read 2 posts that mentioned a definite change in character.
4)Should I keep their activity to a minimum while they recover?

Both girls seem to be eating pooping and peeing normally. However, since I just rescued them, I'm not sure if they are acting unusual in any other way. They both seem fairly active yet I'm trying not to disturb them until they settled in.

4)Should I return them to the SPCA until they have fully recovered or do I take on the responsibility and cost of having them properly cared for by a vet.

In a way, it's hard to believe that the SPCA did not mention the procedure before I drove 40 miles to pick them up. I'm a little concerned that they don't know how to properly care for chins. I'd like to keep the girls but am now wondering if I did the right thing in bringing them home.

What are your thoughts?

Hold their dust baths until their incisions are healed. Watch for normal eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, behavior. Be real careful right now with a food switch. They have been through a lot. I would not have them out rfor playtime right away. Again, give them time to heal.

I applaud their intentions, but it would have been nice if they had a clue about putting a female through that before they did it.

My Poppy had a spay for pyometra. She was prescribed Metacam for pain, twice a day for two weeks, plus Trisul anitbiotic to prevent any infection of the wound, also twice a day, but for three weeks.
She was definitely in pain, and I can hardly believe an SPCA vet would do a spay and then not prescribe any pain meds!! Its a very invasive surgery....

Watch out for any nibbling at the incision site...Poppy had to have a collar fitted, and then I had to hand feed her as she couldnt get her paws to her mouth. But much better that then an open wound! After she nibbled we applied a topical antibiotic with a tissue (I think the stuff was called Biocil antiseptic) just while the area healed...vet's advice.

I lined her cage with clean linen while she was recovering...no wood chips, and changed liner every day. Also I took out her shelves so no jumping...in case of tearing at the wound. No dust baths for three weeks, as dust in the wound would most likely infect.

Poppy did have a personality change, but I think it might be more due to the fact that I slept by her cage for three weeks, and hand fed her every three hours....after she healed she was far less aggressive, more loving and much easier to handle. I think it was because she understood that I had helped her so much while she was in pain, and because she had realised that I was not any kind of threat.

If I were you I'd call the SPCA and find out how long ago the surgeries were done. If it was more than two weeks ago then they might not need any more pain meds. If it was say two days ago, then I'd personally take them to a more knowledgable vet and get suitable antibiotics and some Metacam. Definitely you need to ask the SPCA for the date of the ops.

I wouldnt take them back to the SPCA, given that they have admitted their vet knew little about chins. If you can afford it, then I'd just see a better vet.

PLease update the thread when you have more info and let us know how this turns out! Best of wishes to the two little girls xxxxx

Oh wow, I hope they do okay for you. I wouldn't return them, that'd just be putting them through more stress. I think that given they heal okay, being in a quiet home would be better for their stress level than a noisy shelter.

I wonder if you could call the shelter back and ask to speak with whoever was responsible for the decision to spay them? It'd just be nice to inform them for future reference that it's not a real common practice to spay females. It'd be easier to neuter the male since it's less of an invasive surgery. And well, especially with the vet having never done a chin before, that just seems kind of odd.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to contact the shelter tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get more information such as when the procedure was preformed. I'll keep you updated.

One of the 'all animal' rescue groups around me (don't remember if it was a SPCA) refused to 'deal with me' because I refused to spay the female chins. I had applied to be their 'chin person' when chins came in. They insisted that all animals (including female chins) be neutered before leaving. I tried to explain to them that it was dangerous to spay female chins. They would not listen because they had vets who would do the prodecure so they figure I was the one who was misinformed or 'trying to put one over on them'

I just spoke with a staff member at the SPCA. She told me that the chins
were spayed on 9/2/09. She also said that they weren't given any pain meds nor antibiotics!!!!!!!!!! She said that they only administer antibiotics if the incision were to turn red. I'm appalled! How cruel!!!!!!!!!
I will call my vet on Monday to get her input. Should I give the little girls Metacam in the interum? Why are spays so dangerous in chins?

I don't know if I'd just throw anti-biotics at them, or even pain meds, if they seem alright! First 10 days should have been the worst, both for the pain, and infection.
Both cause other problems, so I'd just watch closely, and be prepared for a visit, if there's any significant changes. Maybe get some LifeLine, to help.
At this point, a unneccessary trip may be more stressful - let them settle in!
Good luck!

I'll keep a close watch on the girls. I stayed up late last night to make sure both of them were eating- it's difficult to tell when they share a cage. Both were fairly active and both were eating. I'm keeping them on the brand of food they are use to (Murzuri). Their poops both appear normal.
What's LifeLine?

I just spoke with a staff member at the SPCA. She told me that the chins
were spayed on 9/2/09. She also said that they weren't given any pain meds nor antibiotics!!!!!!!!!! She said that they only administer antibiotics if the incision were to turn red. I'm appalled! How cruel!!!!!!!!!
I will call my vet on Monday to get her input. Should I give the little girls Metacam in the interum? Why are spays so dangerous in chins?

OMG that's terrible....such an invasive surgery with no pain meds.....just awful.
Those poor wee girls. What did your vet have to say?

I spoke with my vet over the phone yesterday. I chose to call her rather than to further traumatize further my new girls by a trip to the vet. (I'm calling them Kanga and Roo. Kanga is beige with LARGE ears and reminds me of a kangeroo. Roo, my sweet, little quiet one, is Kanga's daughter, and is a small, standard gray).
Kanga seems to be thriving. She is very active and outgoing. Roo is the one I'm worried about. She is relatively inactive and her poops, although fairly plentiful, are relatively small.

My vet said that the majority of trauma and pain associated with the spay should have past. She said that I may want to administer Metacam to Roo and supplement her diet with Critical Care. The vet also said since I don't know Roos's medical history, it's hard to tell if the behavior is related to the spay.

I've been giving her the Metacam and have provided her with a dish of Critical Care. I'll resort to syringe feeding if her activity doesn't increase soon. I hate to further traumatize her by force feeding.I've ordered some LifeLine and I hope it arrives soon. I will also take her to the vet for a physical examine if she doesn't improve soon.

I'm keeping a very close watch on her in the interim to make sure she is eating. I'm also trying to provide a quiet, calm atmosphere.

These poor little things have endured so much! They were surrendered by their owners at the beginning of the month, housed in a noisey SPCA, and spayed by an inexperienced vet with no pain meds. I'm tempted to write the SPCA letting them know how INHUMANE their treatment of the chins was!

All the chins I've owned have been rescued. I'm glad to provide a loving home to these abandoned sweethearts, yet I've experienced such heart break There are so many unknowns associated with a rescue. I lost Sarge last year due to malloclusions and now I'm dealing with Roo's poor health. I sometimes consider going to a breeder next time I get a chin to hopefully avoid some of possible health problems with chins.

Another thing I've noticed about Roo is that she keeps her head cocked to one side all the time. Any idea why?

Another thing I've noticed about Roo is that she keeps her head cocked to one side all the time. Any idea why?

I think I remember reading that this can be a sign or symptom of an inner ear infection? Hopefully someone else will chime in on that...

Wow, an inner ear infection would explain some of Roo's behavior: decrease in appetite, head cocking and inactivity. I just called my vet. Unfortunately her schedule is full tomorrow. I left a message with her. Hopefully she will be able to fit me in rather than waiting until Thursday. She is the only exotics vet I trust in my area.
Anyone else have any clues concerning head cocking?

Does she cock her head all the time or just sometimes? Is it just when she's sitting still, or while she's moving around too? Does her balance seem normal?

Roo has been pretty inactive since I got her on Friday afternoon. I've seen her hop down from an upper shelf to eat and to gnaw on a paper tube. Other than that she hasn't been moving around much so it's difficult to tell if her head cocking is only while she's resting.
In the evenings, I've been sitting quietly in their room in order to keep an eye on them. No matter how quiet or still I am, they are definitely aware of my presence.
I can't tell if Roo's inactivity is because she is in pain and/or sick or because she is still adjusting to the move and recovering from the trauma of the spay. She isn't cowering in the corner or hiding in her hide box. Kanga,her mother and the dominant of the two, has become quite outgoing. She runs to the side of the cage to beg for treats whenever I pass by.
I'm trying to figure out if Roo cocks her head only to one side. Ordinarily, if I had a chin with Roo's behavior I would take her directly to the vet. However, I don't know Roo's normal behavior. Nor do I want to risk further traumatizing her.
What do you think?

This is a tough one. I've had new chins sit in the corner without much activity for almost a full week after moving in so that alone wouldn't concern me too much at this point. Small poo too can just be from adjusting to the move. But with the recent spay by an inexperienced vet its hard to say what could be going on. Though the spay was over ten days ago (assuming you were given the right date) and it seems to me that if something was going to go wrong from that, it would have already.

If it were me, I'd consider what the vet would do if you were to go in. The vet would check the sutures for swelling, redness, irritation, etc. You can do that. Check the ears, eyes, nose, mouth. You can do that. Do the ears look sore, red, swollen or otherwise irritated around the base or inside? Check the teeth...you can sort of do that. Vet would probably also try to listen to the heart and lungs a bit...that with animals this small is a bit tough even for a vet to get a clear listen and actually understand what you hear. You can see if she appears to be breathing normally though. Check the poop...you're already doing that.

If the vet did all this and found nothing out of the norm, what would he/she do?
1. Nothing...continue observation
2. Prescribe antibiotics "just to be safe"
3. More tests

I'm sure you've done all these checks already, so you can continue observing, put her on antibiotics, or take her in for fecal and blood tests and maybe x-rays. She's already on metacam, correct? So assuming that's working for her, pain shouldn't be too much of an issue for her. Are you willing to put her on antibiotics even if there's no obvious signs of infection? Do you think more tests will help?

At this point, going off what you've said, I'm not convinced more tests are quite needed yet as she is eating and pooping and moving around a little. I don't like giving antibiotics "just in case" as they can do more harm than good, so if it were me, I'd continue observing as long as she's pooping regularly and doesn't get any worse. I'm not there to see her though.

A vet trip may stress her out, but the stress is worth it if it saves her life. If you think the vet can help her beyond what you can do yourself at this point, take her in.

Arf, thanks for the helpful advice! After reading your post and observing Roo last night, I decided to hold off taking her to the vet.
WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY CAN MAKE. This evening Roo seems like a different creature. She is extremely active- leaping from level to level. She even was begging for a treat when I walked by the cage. She took a shreddy from my hand and gobbled it down.

I am sooooooooooo relieved. I was scared I was going to loose her. I haven't a clue why her behavior should suddenly change so quickly. However, I'm going to continue to keep a close eye on her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will continue to go well.
:)
I really appreciate everyone's support, advice, and insights during the last 5 stressful days.

I'm really relieved to hear that both girls are doing so well. Now you can concentrate on spoiling them!

Back