Sodalite's surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wires are permanent but the pin will not be. Ideally the pin would stay but since it's migrating out of the bone we will be removing it.

Sodalite is now 8 weeks post op. We took X-rays yesterday and it showed some more calcifications. The leg seems stable. His seroma at the pin site was very painful to touch even under anesthesia. We could also feel the pin pressing up against the skin. So we opted to remove the pin. Basically he is either going to sink or swim as at this point there is nothing more we can do for him. After removing the pin we felt his leg again and still felt stable. His front leg is completely healed so even if his femur refractures we will amputate the back and let him be.

I feel bad for him. He has been in a show cage for 8 weeks. I am hoping 2 more weeks then I can set him free. He hasn't been able to dust either so I'm sure he's anxious to have that done too.

I'll post his 6 week, 8 wk, and post pin removal tomorrow.

Susan-

He is using his front leg. On xray, it looks horrible, healed but horrible, but to see him use it you wouldn't think it looks that bad. You can tell he has a deformity the way he stands on it. His foot is turned in some. I have seen him eat and walk on it.

He is walking and hopping normally on his back leg.

Here are his 6 wk, 8 wk, and pin removal films.

Well Sodalite has been set free of his show cage tonight. He is 10 weeks post op and seems to be doing ok. He's been given a run that he can just walk into and not jump up. Since the boys like to stay in the run I thought it would be better to open it up. He would be less likely to be flighty in a more confined space. He does have access to one cage where he can come out and eat/drink. The girls are shut off for now. He won't have access to them for another month or more. He had his first dust bath tonight which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyhow hope he continues to improve.

Glad to hear he is doing so well. We'll keep him in our thoughts to stay that way. I bet he can't wait to see his ladies.

Wow my heart really goes out to him. God bless that you had access to medical care to save his life. Looking at the x-rays its really humbling to remember just how delicate their little bones are.

Good to hear he's on the mend.

Back