Sodalite's surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godins Chinchillas

Godin's Chinchillas
Well I'm at the office overlooking the surgery Steve is doing. Sodalite is having surgery on his femur to repair the fracture. He's been under anesthesia for almost 2 hrs. We've got the pin in and are currently working on wiring the fragments back on. One more wire and my beautiful boy should be waking up.

Steve has talked to the orthopedic surgeon about repairing the humerus (upper arm) on Monday. We may go ahead and do that but first we will wait and see how he does with this surgery.

Praying for my boy!!!

Did the fracture look as bad as the xray? Poor little dude... I hope he comes through alright and that he keeps that leg!

With the front leg you may just want to leave it alone. It's very difficult to pin those up since the bone is so tiny. My vet would probably opt for amputation, or we'd leave it alone and let it heal on its own. I've had vets tell me that it will be alright even though it may heal up without the bone healing back together at all.

Yes, the fracture was in 3 pieces. Steve was able to drive a pin into, wrap 3 wires around the fragments as well as put suture material around other parts if the fragment. He is doing well. I'm on my way to get him and bring him home. He will be put into a show cage to limit motion, will be on pain meds and antibiotics, and of course feeding if need be.

As far as the other surgery we are opting not to because of the anesthetic risk. He can live without a front leg.

I will post his X-ray soon to show you how well it came together. I'm very proud of my husband. He and the boss did an excellent job. X-rays will follow in 4 weeks.

YAYYYYY for Sodalite and Steve!!!!! Glad to hear it went well. Some lovins and babying from mom now and he should be fine! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
:)

He's sore but he's holding his own. Took him out for some critical care tonight and he ate it without it being forced. Popped him back in his cage and he ate a couple bites of his supplement. Hoping he pulls through and feels better soon.

Darn! I'm really sorry your Sodalite had such a bad injury. You must be sick at heart. ( Hugs ) I'll include him in my prayers. He's a BD right? Very handsome. May he be blessed with a speedy recovery for this and his future surgery.
Keep us posted.

Thanks for posting the xrays. Steve did a super job. I know this must of been a very difficult surgery!

Yeah, he did an awesome job on the surgery, it looks very neat...not a job I would've wanted.

Because I didn't catch the original thread...how did this break happen?

We are not sure what color he is. I bought him from Niels and he wasn't 100% positive on his color. Niels labeled him as a sapphire vc but he is a color all of his own. He doesn't look like my sapphire, blue diamond, or violet. He's closer to the sapphire color. As of right now he has thrown me 5 violets sc with violet girls (none of these girls were sapphire carriers), and a sapphire and blue diamond with a sapphire vc girl. He's got one more girl due next week-a violet sc. So right now we are waiting and seeing. His mother was a white sapphire but behind her was a tov white.

Ange- his injury occurred when I was trying to remove him from the run. He got both his legs caught.

Jessica

I was going to say he doesn't look quite like a BD since he appears darker. Didn't look like a violet or sapphire to me either. He's very interesting looking! I really hope he heals well for you.

Today marks Sodalite's 6 week post surgery. At his 2 week mark he looked as if his leg had made a turn for the worse. He was not placing it underneath him correctly. So we took an xray which showed he had fractured the leg more and the pin was migrating out. So I opted just to keep doing what I am doing and see what he looked like at his 6 week xray.

Today he is no longer being force fed, has only lost 40 grams since his accident, and can walk and hop correctly. His xray showed some callous formation around his fractured site but not enough to pull the pin. He's got a huge seroma that developed two weeks ago from the pin but at this point it is not wise to pull the pin. So in two more weeks we will wait and rexray him. So my poor boy has to sit in his show cage for another couple of weeks. We will get there though and am keeping my fingers crossed that these next few weeks go by quickly for him.

Back