So, you have a Facebook account

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point is, even if you delete your account, they own everything you posted. Your pictures, your messages, everything. And they can pull it out anytime they want and use it, without your permission.

I guess these new ToS really suck... if you're an idiot about what you put on Facebook. Personally, I'm not really bothered by it. I don't put up stupid pictures of myself, I don't write notes that I don't want people potentially copying/using as their own, and I don't say things that might get me in trouble in "the real world". If Facebook wants the right to use the pictures that I have up, whatever. I wish them luck with actually profiting off them, because they would most definitely need it.

The thing is that it doesn't even matter if you put it up. If someone else takes a photo of you from a night out or something of the sort and puts it up on Facebook, you don't have any say on whether that picture can be posted on-line or not. Then again, the same goes with all of the Internet. The bottom line is it doesn't matter whether you posted a picture of yourself or someone else did -- once it hits the net, it's free game.

Seriously - I tell my students ALL the time to be careful what they post on the internet, but they just don't listen. They think no one but their friends can get to them. They are so wrong.

yup, i tell my students (and my kids) the same thing.

it is not only pictures they need to worry about it is also things they share about their health, activities etc. if they talk about how the spent a week in detox, they are protected by no privacy laws! same goes for the party they talk about, etc.

I'm friends with my employer and so I don't post anything I wouldn't want them to see/know. I'm also friends with family (some are on limited profile, some can see everything) so again, anything I post is fair game. Also, I don't 'friend' anyone who I don't know, and my profile is completely private until I accept their request.

I can understand the concern with sites like facebook, but honestly, how many of you have posted pictures of yourselves on here? On other forums? That really isn't any different. People can do a google search, stumble upon this site and get pics from here too.

I use caution, but facebook has gotten me back in touch with tons of friends who I would not be in contact with right now without it... I'll continue to use caution, but I will still continue to use facebook.

Not something I'm really fretting about to be honest. If they want to use my picture to promote themselves all I can say is good luck my photos are not all that wonderful.

They make you 'sign' a disclaimer saying that whatever you post is now the property of Facebook, right when you sign up!

I only have a couple of pics on Facebook (and only one of them a wee bit embarrassing, lol). But that's why I won't post my photos from my sr. prom or from my trip to Russia. They are mine, and they are going to stay mine.

I have my account set on private as well. That means that potential employers will only see a picture of me and my kitten (and you can't even tell that it's me!). plus, I don't add people I don't know or haven't talked to since grade 5!

Bah! Facebook makes me mad in general...

That's just amazing. It makes me very glad that I'm particular about what I post to Facebook. I don't have many photos of me online, and even fewer are clear shots of me. I have many more pictures of my animals.

It really does make one think carefully about what they place on the internet. Before hitting "submit", I always ask myself: Would I be okay with my mother, father, grandparents or employer seeing this?

For anybody that logged in this morning you probably saw a change back to the old TOS... though I still don't recommend posting any photos online if you don't want them to be around forever.

I have never posted pics of my kids on any site. Always afraid of where they could turn up. And like others, have taught my kids not to give out any information over the computer.

Sadly, wish I could convince my husband of this. :(

"Over the past few days, we have received a lot of feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.

If you want to share your thoughts on what should be in the new terms, check out our group Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.

Here are responses to some of the things you've written below:

1. You own your information. Facebook does not. This includes your photos and all other content.

2. Facebook doesn't claim rights to any of your photos or other content. We need a license in order to help you share information with your friends, but we don't claim to own your information.

3. We won't use the information you share on Facebook for anything you haven't asked us to. We realize our current terms are too broad here and they make it seem like we might share information in ways you don't want, but this isn't what we're doing.

4. We will not share your information with anyone if you deactivate your account. If you've already sent a friend a message, they'll still have that message. However, when you deactivate your account, all of your photos and other content are removed.

5. We apologize for the confusion around these issues. We never intended to claim ownership over people's content even though that's what it seems like to many people. This was a mistake and we apologize for the confusion.

Anyone can still right-click and save though, and I thought this was kind of cute to go along with this topic:
funny-pictures-cat-threatens-you-wi.jpg

Last edited:
Facebook finally reverted back to their old user agreement. Whatever Facebook decides, I'm sure it'll dictate what other similar networking/social sites will do in the future.

One more reason I don't use Facebook. I have one, but there's nothing on it. I created it in order to look at someone's profile when I heard rumors that some pictures of me had shown up on their page (nothing bad, I don't have anything of the sort out there, but this was someone who shouldn't have had pictures of me period. Turned out the rumors were false.) I probably haven't signed into FB in over a year and plan to keep it that way.

They did have a court summons got sued over it and had almost 120k users leave in two days. I think Facebook owners learned a lesson.

What tees me off though is their ads campaigns.

I guess I am in the minority that I really don't care. I have FB and do post pics, share notes, etc. I just make sure that whatever I post I remember that the world is going to see. Same goes for any online site that I use including this forum, I don't post it unless I am sure I don't mind that millions of peeps can see it.

If a pic of me ends up in a coffee book on someone table that I don't know... well I guess that's my 15 minutes of fame.

Anyone can still right-click and save though, and I thought this was kind of cute to go along with this topic:
funny-pictures-cat-threatens-you-wi.jpg

Yes and then upload it to their photobucket account which is a clear violation of the photobucket tos and copyright infringement.

Latest posts

Back