so excited!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just realized that perhaps my subconscious is finding chins named after children's cartoon movies! lol. Rhino came with his name, and for anyone that has seen the movie Bolt, there's a hamster in it named Rhino. and now Guss from Cinderella. :rofl:

Hahahha that's okay. Both of those characters are cuties so the name fits for a chin. Can't wait to see pictures of Guss :)

thanks for all the great comments everyone! :))

i didn't end up moving him into the superpet cage until yesterday evening. he seemed pretty stressed and was hiding in the cereal box a fair bit, so i figured i'd give him one night without any more interruptions and annoyances, lol. he's loving the bigger cage, bounced around like a caffeine jacked kangaroo for quite a while after i moved him. loves loofah too! which is good because Rhino doesn't seem to care for the big bag of natural loofah scraps i got for him a while back. i tried to make a big comfy 'no sew' hammock out of some extra fleece and failed miserably, hahaha! oh well, that fleece can be a bed on a shelf for him instead.

and guess what folks??? i've brought home another instantly potty trained chin! Guss's old cage at his old human's house just had the wire grate cage floor with bedding in the pan underneath. i figured i'd try the same thing i did with Rhino, put the litter bowl where i want it, and tell the chin he is to pee there. worked like a charm with Guss! lol. wish i had a bit bigger metal bowl for his cage though, this one is one size smaller than Rhino's and Guss can just sit in it, with not much extra space.

will try to get some more photos later this evening. Guss is such a little lovey, whenever i went in to check on them last night, he'd be right up at the cage bars begging for attention :))

Guss is in the hallway alcove and Rhino is in the adjoining bedroom. there is a closed door separating them so yes they are in separate rooms/areas, and i've been doing a surgeon's hand wash between checking in on/visiting with either chin, regardless if i'm actually touching cages/food/etc or not. i had to do it this way so that i could ensure my only air conditioner would keep them both cool (even with the bedroom door closed, the hallway stays below 72). we had a past week of 30 degree (celsius) weather during the day and i wasn't sure if that would continue on, so i had to do it that way. now that the weather is cooler (got down to only plus 4 celsius last night! frost on the dandelions this morning!), i may move Guss out of the hall alcove and put him in the living room, and crack the patio door to keep things cool.

Last edited:
he's been settling in so nicely the past couple days, i figured playtime for a short bit tonight in the hallway was in order :)) he let me hold him for a couple minutes, and had a dust bath (but not in that order and i made the mistake of snorgling his dusty noggin, lol).

and i got a quasi scritchy face from him earlier too!

IMG00091-20110913-2332.jpg

another shot from last night when i was holding him :)) looks younger than a year old, eh?

IMG00094-20110913-2357.jpg

i'm thinking he's going to start priming pretty soon here, his fur is rather 'tufty' in places.

considering that he had 3 different homes so far in his short life before coming here, i am absolutely beaming that he's settled in and warmed up so quickly. this morning when i gave his cage a quick spot cleaning, he sat there and let me give him pets and scritches pretty much everywhere.

I hope Rhino doesn't get into a snit once quarantine is over and Guss is moved into the bedroom! lol.

Awww. He probably realizes that you speak his language and is just as grateful to have you as you are to have him. Hopefully Rhino will be accepting since he's lived in multiple homes too...not that our logic applies in a chinchilla's mind or anything, but it's good to think positively, right? :))

the power of positive thinking, for sure!!!

Rhino has lived with other chins before (he was born at a byb, and was a daddy by a year old :( ), so i'm hoping intros go well and that big ol' cage i made for him will have two happy spoiled boys in it in the future :))

Back