Skinniest chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonnie was about a year and a half old, and was a very frail 329 grams.

I am unsure of Buttons' age, but he was 428g. when I got him about 6 weeks ago. He's now gained up to 469g. I just put him in a new cage with a wheel so I am expecting him to lose a few grams, but he's continuing to "fill out" so I have high hopes for him one day reaching about 600g. He's a small chin though, so I'll just see where he levels out.

Not a rescue, but after leg surgery and a month in a splint, Koko was down to (but steady) around 350; not sure of age as he's from a pet store, but I'm guessing 8-10 months. 3 weeks without the splint and is now back to almost 400.

When I got Fuzzy, he had stopped eating and at one point was down to 250 grams. He now has leveled out at around 550 and is doing well. We don't know how old he is (other than the fact he's at least 5 yrs old), so he is full grown....but man, 550 is still small, there's nothing to hold onto... much less when I was handfeeding him at 250.... I'm used to my cow-chins....

I've seen a bit less than 420, and he was not even a rescue! Straight from the breeder, and what a breeder it was believe me :wacko:......

When I got my 2 gals last October, Ria was only 400 grams. I don't have a gram scale ( she was weighed at my vets ) but she looks healthy and happy now :cute:

About a month after I adopted Idgie, I weighed her at about 450 g. She has been a steady 555 g for the past couple years, but it took about 9 months to get there.

Hmmm...the worst I had was a chin I got from a breeder that never gained weight. Her stool tests and blood were fine, no Giardia, nothing wrong. For about 5-6 months we hand fed this girl, and she never got above 300g. So at 8 months, she was under 300 grams. I even thought about putting her down, she just looked so sad and sick and in pain. But, one miraculous day, she started eating and is now 800 grams! Not a darn thing wrong with her. I honestly think it was that she did not like the food, but cannot prove it. She started eating right around when we got new food (from Tradition to PANR) and I will always suspect something. I would mix her critical care with crushed up pellets, and that is when she started eating again. Picky girl! She grew out to be a just gorgeous tan white girl.

I have had quite a few rescues come in very skinny- 380 was the worst I think. More come in fat though, bad fat from crappy food.

Back