Show quality chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ticklechin

What does the term actually mean? Don't chins have to be shown or have been evaluated by a judge to be called this? To advertise you breed show quality chinchillas would that not mean those chins have been shown? Would you not have had to actually been to a show to advertise you breed show quality chinchillas????? How would you know???

Technically isn't any chin "show quality"? You could take pretty much anything and enter it in a show....what matters is what it would place. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. What may be a 1st place animal to one judge could be a 3rd place animal to another. To say a chin is show quality is just one's opinion I would think. What you think is grand show champion material could place a 3rd. :shrug:

since it's in debate I'm assuming opinions are wanted. I think breeder's who have gone to shows and who have placed at shows and perhaps placed well at shows can say they breed quality show chinchillas especially if the parents of the chins placed or did well at the show.

So basically I can breed my rescues and advertise I breed show quality chinchillas? It means nothing and is just another advertising gimick no one should believe like panda tuxedo mosaics?

Last edited:
A lot is in the way people use the terms. If you say I breed show quality chins that is much different than saying I breed quality show chins. Show quality in my mind can be most any chin even those of lower quality. Quality show chins on the other hand I would say they would not have to be shown but would have to be of 2nd place or better quality if they were to be shown or evaluated by a judge.

A lot is in the way people use the terms. If you say I breed show quality chins that is much different than saying I breed quality show chins. Show quality in my mind can be most any chin even those of lower quality. Quality show chins on the other hand I would say they would not have to be shown but would have to be of 2nd place or better quality if they were to be shown or evaluated by a judge.

Coming from someone who knows nothing about breeding--but I guess I would be the costumer/layman perspective, the term "quality show chinchilla" is way less vague than "show quality chinchilla". So, while I take "show quality" to literally mean is eligible to participate in a show, regardless of place, "quality show chinchilla" I would see as a chin that would do decent in a show not just be eligible to partake in one if it were shown. I like that term much better!! So if any chin can be shown (is this the case?), the term show quality holds no value whatsoever literally and to me personally.

caiti you are correct any chin can be shown, but that does not mean it will do well or for that matter it may not even get an award if it is of poor quality.

Show quality is a relative term to the person using it. What might be your best quality show animal might not even be good enough to be in another breeders show string of 20. If you're wanting to buy show quality chinchillas you need to attend shows, spend time with experienced breeders, ask questions with a judge present to help you understand the good show characteristics of animals that make them better then average and be able to compare and evaluate animals for their quality. Otherwise, your just taking someone else's opinion and really have no idea of the actual quality of the animal. Show quality is just an opinion, what is show quality to you may not be to me. You need to get educated on judging and be able to evaluate each animal and develop your own opinion on what is "show quality".

i like the way jags put it.......the change in wording makes all the difference.

so i guess really only well versed or well chin educated will be able to differentiate and those just getting into chins may fall prey to BYB who claim to breed "show quality".

Even what is show quality to one judge might not be to another.

When I think of a chin as show quality, that I have not yet shown, I think of an animal produced out of lines that have been shown and produced me offspring that have been shown so I have an idea of what the animals should be. Anyone who calls a kit show quality should not be taken serious because you can't really evaluate the animal.

I think like anything this term should be looked at by who is using it. If a sanctioned judge tells me they have a 6 month old show quality animal, I'm going to believe them over a back yard pet store breeder who tries to tell me the same thing. In the end it's about the breeders experience and if you think they are competent enough to judge if an animal is "show quality", which to me by the way means no less than a 2nd place, and most likely a 1st or better when judged against it's peers in similar condition. Today's first place might be tomorrow's 3rd, and yesterday's 3rd place might be today's Grand Show.

Jags, I had to read that several times because my eyes weren't working and I just wasn't seeing a difference in wording, lol.

Basically there is no yes or no answer, it's not the same as is this a white chin or a beige chin, and it's a know your seller deal usually.

Another thing to consider is that you could breed two grand show champions together and get chins that aren't "show quality."

I would say "show quality" means it is going to place well at a show. "Pet quality" means it would not place well in a show, thus unworthy of breeding.

Definition of quality below - if you are using the term quality as a grade as defined below, then the correct way of referring to show quality chins would need to be quantified as "high quality or superior quality show chins."

qual·i·ty (kwl-t)
n. pl. qual·i·ties
a. An inherent or distinguishing characteristic; a property.
b. A personal trait, especially a character trait: "The most vital quality a soldier can possess is self-confidence" (George S. Patton).
2. Essential character; nature: "The quality of mercy is not strain'd" (Shakespeare).
a. Superiority of kind: an intellect of unquestioned quality.
b. Degree or grade of excellence: yard goods of low quality.

a. High social position.
b. Those in a high social position.
5. Music Timbre, as determined by harmonics: a voice with a distinctive metallic quality.
6. Linguistics The character of a vowel sound determined by the size and shape of the oral cavity and the amount of resonance with which the sound is produced.
7. Logic The positive or negative character of a proposition.

adj.
Having a high degree of excellence: the importance of quality health care.

unfotunatly in the end show quality is often a sales gimick. I have seen many people who have never set foot in a show use it. Jags really did hit the nail on the head

That is why I wanted to start this thread, so that pet owners won't get sucked in thinking a breeder who has never set foot into a show, has never had the chins that are produced looked at other than pics on the net in the sales section, the pet owners won't think they are actually getting a chin who could place at a show. Its deceptive advertising to raise the prices of the rat like chinchillas produced IMO.

I must admit - I've never thought about it in this way before!

I advertise that I breed for possible show quality animals, and I stipulate that this *only* means that the parents are either proven to place high in shows, are top quality, or have produced offspring that place high in shows. In addition to that, I post the show results for my breeding animals and their offspring on my website so people can see that I do produce nice animals.

To me, show quality means it will do well in a show (2nd or higher), but I can see where it can differ by opinion. I may have to change my website!

As an informed pet owner I would feel more comfortable talking to breeders who advertise the quality of their BREEDING animals, not 'show quality' kits. Not every kit that is born may be high quality, but when working with a breeder who attends shows and keeps themselves informed there is a better chance of getting a healthy animal. For a pet owner good looks would just be an added bonus, IMO.

I have to agree with Alicyn. I have done the same myself with advertising. I explain that animals purchased as babies are not guaranteed to be show quality, but that their parents have placed well at shows. They need to be evaluated by a judge or at a show at the proper age. This is also listed in my sales agreement that pet owners sign, that I am not guaranteeing them that the animal would be show quality. If I sell an animal that has been shown - I will list their placing and state whether or not the animal is pet or breeding quality on the contract. I also have show results listed on my website (though I need to update my animals) and I attend as many shows as I possibly can.

Maybe somewhat related.. but maybe not.. I also see show quality animals as 2nd place or higher - but it also depends on the animal and the judge. This is where showing your animals and knowing your animals lines helps in breeding. I show my violet carriers for comments - I don't expect them to place top of the show. I've been told I'm either crazy or brave for showing them. I've shown my black v/c's also - received 2nds on all of them, because they weren't as bright and as dark as those that weren't violet carriers. A lot of times they will place 2nd or 3rd depending on the judge and I'm always told that the animal is too light, too washed out to place higher. If I'm told they have great conformation, great size, great belly, good clarity, but just not very dark - I'm happy. Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a great breeding tool in my violet lines, it just means that it can't compete against the pure standards at the top of the table. Knowing the difference in a breeding tool and a animal that will place well at show is the key. It's not about always placing 1st or higher with these animals, it's about knowing how to pair the animals based on judge comments. To work towards better quality violets in the end. That's how I feel that I'm working towards top show animals.

Last edited:
But both of you have shown animals, how about a breeder who has never shown advertising they produce show animals?

But both of you have shown animals, how about a breeder who has never shown advertising they produce show animals?

I guess you can't really change how a person advertises except to get the word out that it's false advertisement. I'm sure there are many out there that don't show and advertise top quality animals - I've seen quite a few that do this and get double in price what I would for animals. Do I recommend them? No..

Myself I do have a few animals that have won some shows, and I have done the same as you, but now that I read this thread, I am going to write that I breed animals that have won shows but it does not mean that all of the babies will be show quality because you cannot know until they grow older and until they are brought to a show, I really didn't think of that, but it would be the best for every buyer to know. :)

Back