Shipping to Canada/out of country

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greychins

NWI Chinchillas
Just wondering people's thoughts on this and what other vendors do regarding out of country items. Here's what's been going on:

I can't say I've ever shipped a ton of items out of the country, but I used to ship things with reasonable frequency to Canada... and the postage would be more than to the U.S., but not a ton more. For example, it used to be, if it would cost $12 to the U.S., maybe it'd be $15 to Canada.

Boy has that changed since USPS has upped their prices earlier this year. Just recently I've had a few people from Canada ask about shipping things. First, I had someone ask about me shipping a cage with wooden shelves. I just recently shipped one out in the U.S. for $19, though usually it runs about $25 for farther U.S. destinations - I checked on Canada for this same item -- $85!!! Holy heck. So, I thought, well, it weighs ~25 pounds, and it's a big box, that could be why. But then I had someone ask about two hidey houses, so, we're talking a significantly smaller box, not even 8 pounds.... and shipping would be $45.

Needless to say, I'm sure I won't be having either of these people purchase these items for me, as the shipping would be considerably more than the cost of their items.

Just for kicks, I thought I'd check out how much it would cost me to ship a regular hidey house ~3-4 pounds, <12" box on all sides, and I came up with $27.35. Went back, adjusted a few things, and I learned, I can ship anything under a pound (<12" box) for ~$11. If I can get it under half a pound, it's "only" $9.15. If I could somehow manage to get a package that weighed 1 ounce to Canada, it would be ~$6.55. I can't even express how ridiculous I find this, considering last year shipping was only slightly higher.

So, anyway, sorry for the book -- here's my questions -- with the increased shipping prices, do you ("you" being other vendors selling items) no longer ship to other countries?

Is there a cheaper way to do it that I'm missing? I've checked with UPS and FedEx and their rates are even higher than USPS for these two packages that I've checked, so I don't know if I'm missing something, or if I should just be telling people that it's not realistic to ship anything out of country. Even a DVD flat rate box (which has to be tiny tiny) to Canada is $19.95.

Just wondering what other vendors have done in light of the changes in price that have come up with the new year.

I find that nomatter who you ship with, it is crazy high rates! Unfortunately, it is just up to the customer if they want to pay the high rates. I hate it too!

All parcels went up pretty high with usps when rates went up in Jan. I am trying to find a way to ship cheaper to Singapore.

I don't really like shipping things to Canada. There are people that sell things there already and they can get supplies to people so much cheaper because the shipping has gotten so high. It used to be much less expensive and I could sent a huge box of cages or something else for $30 (let's say..) and now it would be closer to $100 for the same thing years later.

I'll ship to people if they insist...I'd prefer people spend their money wisely and not on the shipping. It doesn't make sense to spend $75 or $80 on shipping $20 worth of stuff especially if the items can be purchased more locally.

I'm not a vendor, but wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea the postage had gone up that much! I've always looked at both US and Canada for supplies, now I know to just stick with in Canada, that is ridiculous (and a little sad, some of the US vendors have things the Canada ones don't).

I do it still, but many people pass because it is so ridiculously high now. It's so ridiculous, because prices nearly doubled in some cases.

I much prefer shipping inside the US, but that has to do with being burned by paypal when someone started a claim by me, and seeing as they were outside the US, just proof of shipment didn't cut it, you have to have delivery confirmation which first class doesn't offer. I have never not sent something, just shipping to other countries can take up to 6 weeks. So, that's another thing to consider. If you're shipping outside the US, unless you get priority (which obviously now is ridiculously high) you're SOL if your customer decides to make a claim against you.

If it will fit in an envelope I'll ship it to Canada, otherwise it can be too outrageous. Of course, the last envelope I sent took over 20 days to get there - and three days after it was finally delivered USPS tracking was still showing it was in Miami.

Well, I suppose it's good to know that it's not only me thinking it has gotten ridiculously high. At first, I was thinking maybe my phone app was wrong or something on the shipping, but apparently not.

Susan, I'm with you -- I'd rather people not spend 2-3x the order amount on shipping, as nothing is worth paying that. There are vendors in Canada, and I'm sure some of them would be willing to work with people regarding making specific things they're unable to find in their country.

Good thoughts, everyone, thanks.

Some of us try to ship to someone in the USA then had it driven over the border when someone is doing cross border shopping. I just had 4 Chin Spins done that way. Much cheaper in the long run!

We have shipped to a few different countries, and keep getting orders from other countries. I always let them know that the shipping could be high, especially since with international orders we always add insurance just in case. We just had an order to ship to Leo wheels to Switzerland and the shipping was over 100 for 24 pounds. We also are filling a recent order for Singapore where the shipping is more than the items purchased. If I know local vendors I always point them in that direction, but if they still insist then we process the order. I really wish there was a cheaper way of shipping, I know if you do ship you can go back to your shipper at least once a year for better rates, even USPS will do that.

Back