Shelled Natural nuts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie'sMum

Nutz over Chins
Are Chins able to eat any shelled nuts? I was looking for new treats and supplies and saw shelled nuts for sale, but not sure if they are good or nut? I am talking about Brazilian nuts and so forth.

Yeah, as I'm learning about chins the problem with nuts, and what susan said already about fat I assume pertains to damaging their liver.

Chins don't need new treats, their owners do. Even the safe treat list is more than a chin needs. For optimum health your chin needs good quality pellets, hay, and water. As a "treat" give various chin safe wood chews.

Trust me, your chin doesn't NEED anything else. The only one that does is you. A chin doesn't miss what it's never had, so the need to provide variety in a chin's diet is the humans, not the chins.

understood...i should have been more specific...looking for supplies and wood( i consider them treats). Yes I know no fruits or veggies. Thank you for the advice.

but you asked if they could eat them. in any case, when it comes to edible treats, just stick to oats, shreddies, rosehips, and other safe treats. but its best to give treats in the form of chew toys anyways. pick 2 edible "treats" and just change them out (i only feed oats and chinnie flower salad as treats- wood toys the rest of the time).

if youre looking for supplies and wood...nuts? i know that people use coconut shells, but since chins chew EVERYTHING, its unavoidable that they may consume something. just stay clear of nuts for any purpose. a few members have this motto: K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). stick with the treats you know and the woods you know are safe. there's no need to experiment.

Back