Savannahs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean Savannah Monitor, I would never own one. They are quite strong and aggressive and get pretty large. You would need a lot of room and a very large enclosure for this animal when full grown. Also, if you get one and it grows large and you can't keep it anymore, it is difficult to find a new home for it that can give it proper care. I would not keep any monitor as a pet.

I think she means Savannah cats.
savannah640x480.jpg

They are a hybrid between domestic and small wild cats. I think they are gorgeous. And like any other exotic hybrid, not for everyone and many different factors should be considered. Having so many "prey" animals such as snakes, bird, rats, mice, rabbits, and now a hedgehog, there are too many accidents waiting to happen. And I guess I rather see people own these cats then tigers and cougars any day.

Monitor or "hybrid" cat-- I sure as shooting wouldn't keep either one in a house with a small animal like a Chin or Hedgie. The Monitor can be a danger to the keeper if you don't know what you're doing with it, and they're darn hard to rehome because they need so much space and take up so many resources.

The Cat will never fully lose the instinct to hunt, chase, and kill small creatures, and my chins are escape artists. Of course, precautions can be taken, but the only fool proof way to keep them safe is to keep them entirely apart, and the easiest way to do that is not let them into the same environment in the first place.

The biggest thing is that no matter what type of predator you have (even a kitty cat), you have to take the precautions. From all that I've been reading, the Savannah is very smart and dog like. I've been watching videos of the wild Serval and the Savannah and except for being large, they act just like other domestic cats and dogs.

They are beautiful cats, however any cat has a natural instinct to hunt(dont tell my male cat that LOL) He is an outdoor cat with his own fully insulated Garage. They are preditors and I have found that even if the cats dont bother the Chins, hedgies, or other small prey items those "items" become overly stressed out and can shorten their life span, and lead to stress induced illnesses.
That being said as long as proper precautions are taken they can be a interesting part of the family. You MUST check with state and city codes regarding hybrid animals they can be very strict enforcement on this. I am aware of some people losing there furry friends and the animals being euthenized because of the codes regarding them.

I will never get a hybird cat. I've volunteered at a large cat sanctuary and they have a whole section devoted to hybrid cats. It's sad to see how many of them are in rescues/sanctuaries. Being a hybrid you can't guarantee which qualities it will get. Many are much more wild than tame. Many have a nasty habit of marking their territory with pee. So many people give up their hybrids because they can't cope with them.

Also, to get the hybrids, many of the docile domestic cats are killed in the process. The wild cat can attack the domestic cat and kill it instead of mating. It's really sad.

Also, some upon maturity turn back to their wild side and stop socializing with their owners.

Here is the link to the Sanctuary I volunteered at. You can look through their residents also to see the poor cats that had to be given up due to their nature.
http://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/residents/hybrid.html

I urge all people who even think about buying a hybrid to look at the downsides, not just the aspect of a cool pet.

These hybrids do not act like any domestic cat. They are highly active and social. Far more than a domestic cat. You can leave your house for the weekend and most cats won't miss you. They will get along just fine without you provided they have food and water. A Savannah will grow bored and upset and destructive. Also due to their size, they are more likely to do a lot more damage to humans or animals should they get aggressive in play or attack. So far I have not seen any reports of a Savannah attack, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. People don't always get treated by a hospital for an injury their pet inflicts and owners are not gonna report to the ACO or news when their cat kills one of their own pets.

I urge anyone looking to buy one of these hybrids to look at the cons as well. And be sure to spay/neuter the animal, if the breeder hasn't already had that done for you. Spaying/neutering can help curb some unwanted behaviors and make having one more livable. But at the end of the day, if someone wanted to either get a tiger cub or a Savannah cat, and there was no talking them out of it, I would at least try to talk them into getting a Savannah.

Reading through that site, a lot of the Savannahs were neglected and treated poorly. I have spent some time talking to respondsible Savannah owners and they don't report those same problems, aggression wise. There are some problems with litter box issues. Some do prefer their own private large litter box, but they aren't urinating all over their house.
Declawing....that will make a LOT of cats aggressive, including domestic cats. When I worked in grooming shops and the vet office I got ready to fight tigers when people brought their declawed cats in. Cats who get declawed often become more aggressive because they have to. They lost their first line of defense. It would be like taking heavy duty scissors and cutting off all the hedgehog's spines. They are gonna use their second line of defense more to protect themselves, their teeth. Now any wound from a cat is more susceptible to infection from a dog, be it scratch or bite. But bites from cats are especially dangerous. One of my groomer friends twice got blood poisoning because of cat bites....both times the cats were declawed. You will see the same aggression in wild and hybrid cats that get declawed. If someone wants to declaw a Savannah they are getting, then they have no business having it. They are trying to take shortcuts and don't understand cat behavior and physiology whatsoever, they are setting their cat up to being abandoned or euthanized.

At the end of the day, domestic is the best answer. Millions of cats are euthanized every single day because there are not enough homes. Every time someone buys a kitten of any breed, a cat will die at the shelter.

Perhaps you were reading the questions that were on the page I posted, on this page it shows their current residents http://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/residents/newres.html

If you click on most of the hybrid cats, they weren't surrendered because they were abused. Many weren't able to be socialized by the breeder, had urinating issues, genetic defects etc.

It's with any new hybridization of an animal, you don't know genetic wise what you'll get. There isn't a standard.

I still say that getting a hybrid cat is not worth it. Sure, at one point in time all domestic animals were started from wild. But with these new hybrids, there are a number of breeders out there that shouldn't be breeding. And like I said, there isn't a standard. There's no guarantee what you'll get. And also, I still can't get over the sad stories of the domestic cats that were killed during mating. Perhaps you have to hear those stories first hand for it to make an impact, I don't know.

This is one of my boyfriends dream cats. I've been doing a lot of research on them, as when we get our house that is the one thing he has requested we get (Hes putting up with my herd of chinchillas, lizard, and my APBT..I think I can give him this one thing, lol).

I am NOT a cat person, however they seem like they can be a great pet provided you give them the proper home they need, the care etc. As with anything, you need to treat them with respect and know what you are getting into. As for them being a predator? So are our dogs, and regular cats. How many dogs have killed household pets?(Rabbits, Chins, other dogs, cats etc?), Cats are known to kill small animals..hense many being used on farms as barn cats to get rid of mice problems. Ferrets are known to attack and kill small animals. It's all about taking the proper precautions, doesn't matter what species you own. You need to be responsible.

I didn't say they were abused, I said they were neglected or treated poorly. My meaning was they were not properly socialized, they were caged for long periods of times, they escaped or were released into the wild, etc. I see that with several of the animals there.

I have no plans on having one. But like I said, I have spoken to several respondsible Savannah owners. I am sure they are few and far between. And I rather see people get these than tigers and lions. But then I rather see people get domestic than any of the wild or hybrid ones.

If you mean Savannah Monitor, I would never own one. They are quite strong and aggressive and get pretty large. You would need a lot of room and a very large enclosure for this animal when full grown. Also, if you get one and it grows large and you can't keep it anymore, it is difficult to find a new home for it that can give it proper care. I would not keep any monitor as a pet.

:embarrassed:

Never heard of Savannah cats but they are beautiful.

I think the problem is that people convince themselves they can live with a hybrid but judging from the sanctuaries many cannot. I can't come to grips with it simply because millions of cats are being killed in our country every year. You would not believe the beautiful cats I see killed. Even Siamese and similar type cats!

If you ever watch any of the natures shows you know that the wild cats have a lot of similar behaviors with our domestic house cat. If you don't like a domestic cat behavior, I would think you could be in trouble because won't the Savannah's behavior be similar.. but amplified a 100%?

Did you ever consider a Bengal? They are beautiful, like Savannahs, however they tend to not get as large. Plus, you can look for the cats that are farther down in the line as to what generation wild cat they are.

We have a bengal here and he is an absolute doll. I will say that he is quite a bit more active than our "regular" cats, but nothing vicious or harmful. All of our cats, including the bengal, have been around our chins and do just fine. We are careful and lock them out of the chin room at night or when we are not at home, but I feel that is just good common sense.

As said before, any animal larger than chins/hedgies is a predator or can cause a threat. Just be prepared to have a very "curious" addition to your family if you add in a hybrid cat of any sort.

If people are looking for a wild looking cat, I suggest the Ocicat
ocicat97.jpg

They are a FULLY domestic cat. NOT a hybrid.
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/articles/ocicat.html

Bengals are still hybrids and there is no guarantee they will be more domesticated. They need to be at bred at least three generations to be more domestic acting, but in the end, they are still a hybrid.

I think that Savannah's or Servals are absolutely beautiful. But with any pet, you need to do research prior to getting it so you know what you are getting yourself in to, and to make sure you can give this animal a forever home. I would love to have one of these cats, but it is totally unrealistic for me. I would also have to clear my home of my chinchilla, my birds and my gerbils.

Do you realize that a Serval costs anywhere from $22,000-$28,000?!!! I can't imagine paying that much money for an animal. You tube has quite a few serval videos which are fun to watch, but I can't believe someone would pay this much for a cat. Does anyone know how long they live?

Back