Rose hips question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedom

Can someone please tell me if chins eat the whole rose hip like the seeds inside or do they just eat the shell part? ;)

Mine only eat the shell and leave the seeds laying on their shelves. The seeds have sticky little hairs on them that most chinchillas do not like.

I have chins that eat the seeds. They aren't harmful, some chins like them better than the rest of the rosehip - most just like the shell, like Ann said.

You can always get the crushed rosehips that have the seeds sifted out if you prefer. Although, I find that those are a little harder to hand out in a treat sized amount all at once since there's so many little pieces.

I prefer the small pieces. It allows me to give Idgie treats that are tiny and she takes them very gently.

I just give my bigger chinchilla a whole one with the seeds in it...Like mentioned above, he just leaves the seeds lying around and I pick them up every day when I clean his cage out. haha...we have a new chinny that's about 11 months old now, I break the top off and dump the seeds/hairs out for him right now, but when he's old enough, i'll end up just giving him a whole one. Order them from Susan! They're awesome! :)

Are the pricklies in the seeds irritating to their mouth at all? I used a sample of rosehips a few years ago but never got more cause my chin would eat the whole thing and to me the inside seemed almost like cactus fuzz. She really did seem to like eating it tho even if she did make funny faces.

I use a supplement and put crushed in my supplement. To hand out treats, whole would definitely be easier!

My entitled little princesses won't touch them whole but love the outsides. I spent a good hour cracking them open with a hammer and digging out the fuzz, and my skin was itchy for the rest of the day. I can understand why they might not want to bother with that, although honestly, they might just be spoiled, too.

Can I hop in here and ask what age is appropriate for a chin to start eating rose hips? Is there a limit like other treats, or are they able to eat them at any time?

Not sure what age you can start giving them rosehip.

I bought some really tiny willow balls from Chinchilla City and put her rosehip treat in the ball. It makes a little more work for the surpise inside. Lola seems to love the extra chewing before the treat.

I figure she's either part terminte or beaver....LOL

I would follow the same rules as with any other treats - no treats until 6 months old. You don't want them to fill up on rose hips or other treats and not have room for the food that they need.

Back