RIP Edgar Hykes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpayton

Always into something...
The chinchilla community will not be the same without you. You will truly be missed.

Many thoughts and prayers being sent in the direction of you and your family.

Personal note - I spent at least 30 mins with Edgar at one of the very first shows I went to in Mansfield a few years ago. He just kept talking and talking and sharing with me some of the knowledge he had about picking a good standard chinchilla. He seemed to really WANT to spend the time and was just so very nice. I feel honored to have spent that time with him as I'm sure lots of others have spent with him. He truly had a lot of knowledge to share and obviously didn't mind at all sharing it. Will miss Edgar.

I agree. Edgar had a huge wealth of knowledge about chinchillas and even though he hasn't had any for quite a few years, he stayed active in MCBA. He was at the Mansfield show and he and Ruby had dinner with us. He had remained on the National Board as an adviser.

He will be greatly missed! Please keep his wife Ruby in your prayers.

He was a very kind man who didn't mind taking all the time in the world to speak with you and explain things. I very much enjoyed listening when he spoke.

Prayers being sent to his family, especially his wife Ruby.

I learned alot from Edgar over the years and he sure knew the history of how and why things are the way they are in the chinchilla world. I even bought a herd that I knew nothing about and that was not at the time being shown on his word of the quality it contained. He was a very fair man always willing to help anyone he could. He will be missed!

I was shocked and saddened to hear about it when I got home. I had just seen them at Mansfield! I wish I had taken more time to speak to him over the last couple years, he was always so friendly and I never saw him without a smile on his face. He will be missed.

Oh my gosh - when did he die?? This is the first I have heard. I agree that Edgar was extremely helpful and friendly to everyone. He was giving me advise at the MCBA picnic at Dave/Chris Wood's house last Sept. He will be greatly missed!!!

Oh for heavens sake. I am sad to hear of his passing and he will be very much missed among the chinchilla community. Thank you for posting so that all may know of his loss.

He had a massive heart attack on Halloween and died yesterday morning.

Edgar will be missed by many. I remember one of the first times I went to the picnic here in PA. I was just getting into chinchillas(I would have been around 14 when I started heading to the picnics/shows I believe), Edgar welcomed me with open arms--and started sharing his wealth of knowledge with me. He didnt give a crap that I was young, or just a "pet person" at the time. I was willing to listen, and he was willing to talk.

I'll never forget that Edgar is one of the reasons why I think about ranchers the way I do.That they are actually caring, thoughtful people. Recently after they sold most of their herd, they held back a few animals which they took to the York Show. I remember Ruby and Edgar loading up their animals at the end of the show, picking up the carrier and looking at each chinchilla and then saying "Come on my babies, let's go home now".

R.I.P Edgar, you will be missed. We've lost a truely great person.

I wish I would have been able to meet him and listen to him talk. I always love listening to people talk chins and it sounds like I would have learned much from him.

I am so very saddened at this great loss to the chinchilla community. I have been blessed with the time I did spend with him at shows and at his home over the past few years. He was, as everyone had said, so very willing to share his wealth of knowledge with the new breeder as well as some high quality breeding stock. I will always remember the cozy days spent in his living room...hours passing by taking tea with him and Ruby. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children.

He will be missed. I had the great pleasure of getting to talk with him a few times. He was a wonderful man and my heart goes out to his family for their loss

Latest posts

Back