Rescued Just in Time

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragtop

First time posting here - although I used to post now & then at the old CnQ forum. Just had to share a recent story.

A while back the neighbor was complaining about the chinchilla her adult live-at-home son brought home. She was concerned that he wasn't going to take care of it. I told her that I would take it in if she ever felt the animal was not getting proper care.

Well, the other day I get a call from her - saying her son was out of town for the week and left the animal without any food. She wanted me to get it out of her house. When I went over I found the animal with no food at all in the cage, and almost out of water. I brought him home and noted that he was constipated - pooping little whitish balls. Took me a little while, but finally realized the poor guy must have been eating his pine bedding since that was the only thing left in his cage. :cry3:

Well, I'm happy to report that after a couple days of hay, pellets, and fresh water his digestive system is back to normal. :clap1:

Suprisingly, he looks very healthy - a nice dark standard male. Seems pretty friendly and relaxed considering his situation. My biggest fear now is that the son will come knocking at my door - looking for his pet back. If anything, I'll offer to buy it from him - just to keep the chin away from him.

if he does come knocking i would tell him he's darn lucky that you are feeling nice enough to just take his chin and care for it instead of calling the authorities regarding animal cruelty. that ought to make him do an about face and leave your property right good.

I'd ask his mother what she is going to tell him. If he doesn't come to your house and won't randomly see him there, I wouldn't even bring it up unless she is going to. If she's just going to say I gave it to someone who will take care of it, I'd leave it at that.

if that kid came knocking on my door, id want to answer it with shotgun in hand. Heck, id want that if i ever saw him again period. Theirs no excuss for doing something like that to an animal. And theirs no way id give him back.

Im glad you were able to take him in. I hope he has a full recovery.

One thing i have to wonder tho. Chins dont just magicly run out of food one day. Was the mother not paying attention to the animal at all? I realize it wasnt her pet, but when you have one in the house, yours or not, you tend to notice things. And if she was worried her kid wouldnt take care of, why did she not make some kind of preperation for the little guy?
It sounds like she new her kid was leaving for the week. And animals cant survive that long with no care. Did she just watch the chin get worse and worse without doing anything untill she called you?

I dont no the type of ppl they are, or their relationship or what not. Or how much time had passed between events, so some of that might be far from the truth. But i dunno, something doesnt seem to add up their.

Either way, im glad the chin is with someone else. Hope hes able to have a good long life now!

Well, I think the mother was concerned to the extent she was keeping an eye on the chin (Baxter) to make sure he was being cared for. But she wasn't willing to take over caring for him herself. When the son left for the week she realized that the chin was going to be in trouble and she took action to get help for him. She knows that I'm experienced in caring for chinchillas and had offered to take him in, so that was her "back-up plan". I can't fault her for that - it's a lot more than many people would do.

My wife spoke to the mother last night. She told the son she took the chin to the humane society, and he was apparently not too upset about it - so it looks like Baxter is staying with me.

And, just to be clear, based on Baxter's appearance and behavior, he is healthy and doesn't seem to have been abused. When I said he was rescued "just in time" I meant that without food or water he would have been in bad shape in another day or two. I can't imagine how hungry he must have been to eat the bedding off the bottom of his cage.

My other "boy" Sunny is 9 years old and has gone from being a real fireball when he was young to being kind of a cranky old man. He suffered a broken leg several years ago that was splinted by the vet but never healed quite right, so he doesn't get around like he used to. Eventually, they'll have to share the same room although I have no illusion that they will ever be cage mates.

if that kid came knocking on my door, id want to answer it with shotgun in hand. Heck, id want that if i ever saw him again period. Theirs no excuss for doing something like that to an animal. And theirs no way id give him back.

Im glad you were able to take him in. I hope he has a full recovery.

One thing i have to wonder tho. Chins dont just magicly run out of food one day. Was the mother not paying attention to the animal at all? I realize it wasnt her pet, but when you have one in the house, yours or not, you tend to notice things. And if she was worried her kid wouldnt take care of, why did she not make some kind of preperation for the little guy?
It sounds like she new her kid was leaving for the week. And animals cant survive that long with no care. Did she just watch the chin get worse and worse without doing anything untill she called you?

I dont no the type of ppl they are, or their relationship or what not. Or how much time had passed between events, so some of that might be far from the truth. But i dunno, something doesnt seem to add up their.

Either way, im glad the chin is with someone else. Hope hes able to have a good long life now!

Just popped in and saw this post and I have to say thank you to Godofgods for mentioning the possible other side of this situation. I see an adult son with a mother who doesn't understand his companion choice and took it upon herself to rid him of his pet by making him look like the bad guy. She may just not like rodents and wasn't asked if it could be there. I have a co-worker that thinks my chin is cute in pictures but would not like to be in the same room with one.

I do sincerely hope he doesn't show up at your door. But if he does, I hope it's with concern for his missing pet and not anger at it being with you. I hope you get his side, and a chance to tell your side. He may be greatful to learn you saved his pet's life - which you did - and thank you for it. And I hope he sees that the chin is better off out of his home situation and doesn't ask for it's return, or get another one. If he's angry and unreasonable, just say what AddictedToChins said. There's not much he can do or say after that.

Whether he's an abuser or not, his mother is the one I blame for it's condition. She knew it was there and she did nothing until she was sure it was in trouble. Then she called you expecting you to deal with the result.

Thank you for answering the call and helping this chin. It sounds to me like he's the unfortunate victim of someone elses fight.

Soo glad that this baby is with you now! I'll cross my fingers that nothing else happens when the son gets home XX. Keep us posted!

I'm so happy you could help this chin! Poor guy...I guess his mother was right to be concerned about how responsible her son would be. I sure hope you don't have any issues with her son...if he had cared, he would have been a more responsible pet owner. That chin could have died if you hadn't stepped in to help him. Best of luck to you and this chin!

I would ask the mother to please just say she placed the chin with someone who knows how to properly care for the chin and not to mention where So glad you cared enough and took the chin

Just popped in and saw this post and I have to say thank you to Godofgods for mentioning the possible other side of this situation.

well.. thats a suprise. I figured id get slammed for that. It did sound a lot more negative then i intended, but i had my concerns and without knowing everything, one can only assume. Im just happy the chin is safe and healthy!

Thank goodness he's somewhere better now. Poor guy, I can't even imagine what it would have been like, being left without food like that :(

Just a follow-up note to let you know Baxter's doing great. He's got a lot more energy now that he's been on an appropriate diet for a while. My other chin is an old man with a bum leg, so I almost forgot how high a young healthy chin can jump :laughitup:

Latest posts

Back