Red fur!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasimon1

So I come home tonight and my Chinchilla is red all over the bottom half of him. Not like he was bleeding. Almost like I gave him a bath in red dust. Just sort of a uniform red dusting all over the bottom of him from nose to tail. His ears aren't red at all so I know it's not a weird heat thing. The only thing I can think of is that I gave him a new Snak Shak log http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753529&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo about 2 days ago. I've never had the color of it come off on him like this. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what could be causing this?

I'd say it's probably from him either chewing the Snack Shack log or the color just rubbing off on him. He may have chewed it and sat in the powder afterwards.

And a heads up, those logs are not healthy for them as they contain a lot of sugar that can cause dangerous GI problems such as bloat and stasis. It would be a good idea to take that one out and not give him any more.

Maybe he urinated in the log and the coloring came off on him? That happens sometimes. But, definitely agree with Stackie...take it out. It's not exactly the greatest thing to have in with chins - if they don't chew on them they aren't that bad, but you don't want a chin eating it.

There were a few chinchillas at a show last year that had green feet. We finally figured out that the owner had put green chew blocks in the show cages the night before to keep them occupied until morning!

I had that happen years ago with some blue dyed blocks. It scared me a little because I thought at first that Thor was having some sort of circulatory issue or he wasn't getting enough oxygen. It was just a the chew cubes from Petsmart.

I guess only natural wood should go in show cages... :D

Latest posts

Back