Red chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first 5 month old angora male kit was advertised & sold here in the Uk the other week. Some muppet paid £2150 for it.
The "breeder" is seeing nothing but £ signs because the poor female is pregnant again .............. ca-ching!

This exactly demonstrates my point! There are people overseas that are thinking angoras = $$$$$ just as much as people here in the US!

A red chinchilla is about as desirable as an eyelash chenile - and about as serious.

Is that so? because I think if a new red mutation popped up people would be all over it just like they were with every other mutation of chin that's coma about. (Again, I am aware that new red mutation isn't going to happen.

I think a pure red chin like a fox would be adorable, not an "abomination". Who's to say what colors are desirable and which arn't? its a matter of opinion. Just like some people find the red eyes in certian chins to be ugly or creepy, others love their red eyed chins. I would love to own a red chinchilla.

They wouldn't be pure red like a fox, they'd be more along the lines of rust red. Like the off color tints you'll see in badly bred beiges for example.

No, you would just get more rusty beiges which by the way look awful.

At this point, there are no known mutations which have affected the production of melanins to result in an actual red-colored animal. We only have red tints causes by alleles which can be found in many of our mutations as well as our standard grays, but obviously are undesirable and if bred for, will only lead to more muddy and unclear-looking chins. The only way you will get a red chin is if some random mutation occurs which alters the chinchilla's pigment production and results in red pigments produced in the fur.

A rusty beige is pretty much what i've been talking about from the beginning. A very, very rusty beige that pretty much covers up the original beige coloring

A red chinchilla is about as desirable as an eyelash chenile - and about as serious.

Maybe for now, considering it's just a tint. But if it was red and not just a tint then it would be very desirable for many people. Just because something isn't appealing for you it doesn't mean that everyone is going to hate it.

Last edited:
ok, hopefully somebody else can get this through to you. You have literally misunderstood every single thing I have posted, and I've made it pretty clear. I wish I could say you just weren't reading my post but it seems like you are....I am at a loss for words...
I am not the one that brought up "red carrier". I do not know if it was you or someone else, but I know a "red carrier" has no possibility of ever existing.

I am aware that red cannot be a new mutation. I don't know how to make myself clearer. What I mean by a red chinchilla, is the breeding of chins with extreme off color and red tint together to eventually get a chin with so much off coloring, that none of the original color is showing through.

Same as above. I am aware that a red MUTATION does not exist. Nor will it ever.

Again, I am not talking about breeding for pelts. I am talking about breeding for the species. I don't even understand how any legitimate chinchilla lover can breed animals for pelts.

And the market obviously is not in search of red tinted chins, that would not provide for anything good at all. I don't want your average red tinted chin out in the market, i'm talking extreme, all over tinting that covers the entire body.

Is that so? because I think if a new red mutation popped up people would be all over it just like they were with every other mutation of chin that's coma about.
You've done market research on this? I think not. Jeff has already illustrated the market position in relation to off coloured (red tinged) chinchillas.
What is interesting is that you seem intent on arguing your corner even though that position is pretty much untennable in the real world. :rolleyes:

If you really want off coloured chinchillas then go ahead & try breeding some because no-one else wants them or intends to breed them here ........... we'll await the results.

Maybe for now, considering it's just a tint. But if it was red and not just a tint then it would be very desirable for many people. Just because something isn't appealing for you it doesn't mean that everyone is going to hate it.
Go back & read Jeff's excellent post about "red" chins ...........

There's currently no gene for a true "red" or "liver" chinchilla...whatever you want to call the coloring. Breeding towards a red chinchilla right now would be breeding off-color chinchillas towards an ultimate goal of a reddish hue.

If a red mutation popped up in a rancher's herd today I can tell you now it would be culled immediately. The responsible breeders won't want to work with a red mutation and it would fall into the hands of backyard breeders who would breed it down. You'd end up with rat looking red chins...sounds soooo desirable to me. While it may sound like a cool new pet color to have you really need to think of who will be supplying and breeding this color and whether or not you REALLY want that to happen. I know I don't. I don't need to see more backyard breeders going for "cute" babies and "cool" colors. It's pointless breeding.

I don't even understand how any legitimate chinchilla lover can breed animals for pelts.

I am personally, HIGHLY offended that you would suggest that I cannot truly love my chinchillas while breeding for pets. I lost a chin I've had for a couple of years the other day and I cried hysterically all day. Each and EVERY single one of my chinchillas has a name and is loved. If I pelt them after they die a natural death it in NO WAY means I never loved them.

I completely understand where you are coming from, it's a terrible thing to have in a chin that's not supposed to be that color. Why don't people get angry when black mixes with white? because it's been set as a "color" called mosaic. If "red" is set as a color, eventually down the line, people won't see it as an 'abomination' anymore, they will see it as a color of chinchilla.

Any color other than beige mixed with the white gene is a mosaic...not an off color white and not a new color or a new mutation. You are not understanding what off-color means at all. Read through Shuboyje's posts VERY carefully. He's giving you a lot of good information that you seem to be passing over.

Last edited:
I am personally, HIGHLY offended that you would suggest that I cannot truly love my chinchillas while breeding for pets. I lost a chin I've had for a couple of years the other day and I cried hysterically all day. Each and EVERY single one of my chinchillas has a name and is loved. If I pelt them after they die a natural death it in NO WAY means I never loved them.

I am truly very, very sorry if I at all offended you, that's not what i'm out to do. Pelting after a chin dies of natural causes is completely understandable and I don't see a problem with that AT ALL. I'm mainly focusing on people that breed chins specifically so they can kill and pelt them. I just find it horrifying, but that's simply my opinion, and i'm sure the people that do it have their own opinions and reasons to do it, kind of like cows raised and killed for food.

Any color other than beige mixed with the white gene is a mosaic...not an off color white and not a new color or a new mutation. You are not understanding what off-color means at all. Read through Shuboyje's posts VERY carefully. He's giving you a lot of good information that you seem to be passing over.

I get what off color means. I just have a hard time explaining myself sometimes and am not too good at making what I say understandable. Again, I apologize. I'm not saying that mosaic is a new color, I'm trying to highlight the point that it's an acceptable thing among chinchillas.

And I apologize If i offended anyone else in any way, I tend to argue. A lot. I can't really help myself. haha. Mainly I argue your points because I don't understand certain aspects of this, and I like having answers to my arguments :thumbsup:

Kawaii - If you had read the rules when you joined, you will realize this is a "pelt neutral" forum. Your comments regarding pelting are not only unwanted, they are against the rules.

As far as your remark, I'll address it this once. Without ranchers/pelters, you wouldn't have your chins. Where did you think they came from? Did you think pet owners travelled to Chile to catch a pet chin?

Before anybody else with matching IPs at Kawaii's house want to comment on this as well, I'll just point this out:

1. We consider this place to be a forum for animal owners to gather and share ideas, ask questions and otherwise brag about their critters. Chins-n-Hedgies is a pelt-neutral forum. This means that we welcome all: fur ranchers, hobby breeders and pet owners alike. We expect that all members treat each other as friends, or at the very least to be respectful of each other.

I'm not trying to bash fur ranchers, or people that pelt their chins, it is simply my opinion. I was not aware that It was against the rules and I apologize. I know people who do it have their own reasons, and I respect that, It's their choice and I understand.

Matching IPs? Nobody else at my house cares about chinchillas in the least bit, and I can tell you right now they have not once been to this site.

Now I don't understand genetics?
I understand that a red is not a mutation, but in fact a tint to the fur
I understand the it cannot, nor will it ever be a new mutation, but an off-color chinchilla
Nor can it be recessive/dominant/etc.
I understand genetics perfectly well.

Saying that is easy, but you have shown otherwise through this entire thread, and you actually continued to with an incorrect statement you just made while telling everyone how well you know genetics.

LOL, the second I saw this thread I thought it was Laurie posting it. Laurie, you should have gotten that chin at last years WI show that I kept calling the toxic :( chin! Oh wait, he was more orange/rust than red. :p

I agree, Sandi. There was a 'red' chin at the last show in Barneveld that should have gone home with Laurie.

In a simple sentence..You Will NEVER find a reputable breeder breeding for red.

If I produced a red chinchilla I would give it away as quickly as possible to laurie along with the parents as long as she swears to never say where it came from LOL.
I had one here born off color I imediatly split the parents up and re-paired them.

You seem to have issues understanding quality

What Makes you think i don't understand quality? I get that red is a bad thing. I was mainly just curious as to wether anyone had ever tried to breed for red, or if it was possible.

And how exactly is it that I don't understand genetics? please enlighten me.

If I produced a red chinchilla I would give it away as quickly as possible to laurie along with the parents as long as she swears to never say where it came from LOL.

Or, claim that it was a rescue chin from unknown sources. I feel exactly the same way. :)

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I am single-handedly wanting to destroy 80 years of breeding for BLUE animals. ;) A couple years ago I remember someone saying that the judges were looking for blue BLUE blue animals...that sounded wonderful. I've always thought that the attraction to the fur of chin was because it was more blue than other fur bearing animals. :)

Wow!!! I have read this entire thread. ( it only took me about an hour or two ) I think this has gotten way too out of hand. Really it was just a simple question of it had been done. The answer; most thought it would be awful but there are a handful of us who would love to try it or just have one (or see one). Just imagine if you took those results and applied them to the world. There could be 100's of 1000's of people (hypathetically) who want a red chin. I understand about standards and all. (once again I read this thread very thoroughly) That is my 2 cents.

Pardon me if I don't believe that Kawaii_hedgie_chin_love and gliderchillalove are not the same person. The two screen names are the only people in this thread that have referred to red chins as "abominations" and you DO have matching IP addresses. It's not a hard thing to look up, FYI.

What Makes you think i don't understand quality? I get that red is a bad thing.

You don’t seem to understand why or you wouldn’t even be considering breeding for a red chinchilla. A red tint or hue goes hand in hand with a muddy bar. You cannot breed a red chinchilla that has GREAT clarity. You get red and muddy or clear and blue. This is another thing that has to do with genetics. Certain traits are linked and you can’t breed for one without getting the other.

A very, very rusty beige that pretty much covers up the original beige coloring

Red, rusty beiges quickly become orange which turns to a muddy very ugly brownish orange. I’m not saying it’s undesirable because I like blue…I’ve talked to people that have never been to shows as I had a rescue beige that looked just like that and NO pet person wanted her over my show beiges that have a blue hue. I ended up keeping that chin until the day she died because not ONE person wanted her.

Just because something isn't appealing for you it doesn't mean that everyone is going to hate

Just because something is appealing to you doesn’t mean it should be bred. This is why not everyone should be a breeder. People that just breed for appeal and what will sell on the pet market are the people that end up with malo and other genetic or health problems in their lines. Their selection is not for quality…it’s for looks and what will bring the most $$$. That’s not the mark of a good breeder.

I understand that a red is not a mutation, but in fact a tint to the fur
I understand the it cannot, nor will it ever be a new mutation, but an off-color chinchilla
Nor can it be recessive/dominant/etc.
I understand genetics perfectly well.
Again, I am aware that new red mutation isn't going to happen.

This right here shows you do not have a true understanding of genetics. New mutations cannot be predicted. You can’t say there is no possibility of a red mutation in the future just as I can’t say it will definitely occur. A mutation is random and until it’s here you can’t say if it will be dominant or recessive or that it will even occur.

Is that so? because I think if a new red mutation popped up people would be all over it just like they were with every other mutation of chin that's coma about.

The new angora is not being jumped all over. I’ve spoken to many ranchers about what if such and such new mutation popped up and they all said they would not want to put in the effort and time to develop a new mutation. I myself would not want to develop a new mutation. If you’re thinking of the interest from the pet side as evidenced in this thread then yes there would be people jumping on a new mutation…but they would be pet people or backyard breeders.

Why don't people get angry when black mixes with white? because it's been set as a "color" called mosaic. If "red" is set as a color, eventually down the line, people won't see it as an 'abomination' anymore, they will see it as a color of chinchilla.
I'm not saying that mosaic is a new color, I'm trying to highlight the point that it's an acceptable thing among chinchillas.

Red is not a color in chinchillas yet, it is a HUE. Black and White are both mutations and colors on their own. Mixing them doesn’t make a new color. No one is saying a red chinchilla would be an “abomination” you are still missing the point here. Red is a HUE and goes hand in hand with poor clarity(i.e. muddy bar). This makes the chinchilla’s coat look continually dirty and splotchy which even to pet people isn’t desirable. You don’t want an animal that always looks like it needs a bath.

Obviously it destroys the "true" color of a chinchilla, but if people aren't stupid about it, I don't see the harm.

It destroys the true color the chinchilla is supposed to be but you don’t see the harm? It destroys over 40 years of selective breeding to get the chinchillas to the quality we have them today, but you don’t see the harm? You’re talking about taking animals that ranchers and reputable breeders have worked YEARS sometimes their entire lives to improve and destroying it all for something YOU see as desirable. Pardon me if I don’t agree with that “sound” logic.

Ex. Dwarfs. Most breeders that acquire dwarfs will not sell to just any-old person off the streets. And even then only sell males so they are not bred like crazy.

Selling a male is ensuring it’s going to be bred all to ****. You only need one male to produce an army of carriers that can then be bred together to start your own herd of dwarf making machines. Everyone I know that has gotten dwarves now have built up their dwarf numbers just like that. You have to have a carrier female and a dwarf male. Dwarf females can very very easily die if bred and most people, even idiots, won’t risk the female because they are tiny and don’t even LOOK like they could carry a normal sized kit full term.

there are a handful of us who would love to try it or just have one (or see one)

Not meaning to cause offense but this is a complete backyard breeder statement. Breeding for "cute" babies and "cute" colors is what gets you the chins on CL that everyone is always complaining about. You don't understand breeding or standards at all if the thought of breeding a red hued off-color chinchilla is a scintillating idea.

Last edited:
Back