Rat lost inside built in desk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney

I had my rats out playing today and somehow one of them found a spot I had not looked for in the past. In the corner under my built-in desk there is an opening that leads to a space I'm guessing is in between the desk and the wall. She ran up there about 2 hours ago and I haven't been able to catch her. Tried peanut butter crackers and she poked her head out but not far enough for me to grab her. Tried crinkling her bag of food and I can hear her moving around, but she won't come out. I have dogs in my house so I can't just leave and hope she will be OK. I have to go grab my car from the shop at some point and I'm afraid that when I leave she might come out and go somewhere else where I can't get her. I'm running out of options how to get her. I have made it dark in my house hoping that that will make her come out but no luck. Any suggestions?

Aw, bless her heart. I hope she's just enjoying her hiding time.

Maybe if you had some kind of chocolate? I've heard rats like that....so perhaps if you brought out something she's never eaten before....sort of stimulate her tastebuds?

Any luck catching the little escapee yet??If not,you may be able to borrow a a havahart safe catch pen from your local shelter.You might even try just putting a spare cage securely against the area with a towel over it.She may fall for a dark cozy spot with a favorite snack?:hmm:

No luck yet. I think she's onto me cause I can't even hear her moving anymore. I'm really hoping I dont have to cut anything to get her out. I can't find a kickboard or anything on this desk.

still no luck. I have cut holes in the inside of the desk but I still can't find her. Of course.

I can still hear her. She is in a 4' X1' space where the desk meets the wall. She can't go anywhere but I just can't get to her. I have tried banging on the side hoping she will run out the hole I made but no luck. Parents say if I don't get her then they will call an exterminator, so I need to get her out.

Do you have any tubes? Maybe connect one to one of the holes you cut and see if she wants to explore the new place that seems to still be part of the desk...? And then block off the end that is touching the desk once she's in it. I hope you can get her out. Other than that--my only suggestion is patience.

Geez, nice parents, I'm sorry. If I hear they got lost in the woods I will be sure to send some hunters after them lol.
IDK, maybe if you took pictures of the area an idea will come??

This is the desk. She's on the left hand side. the space between the wall and the desk is maybe and inch and a half. Shows the bottom space where she went in and the hole I made trying to get her out. I placed a sticky trap near the hole last night hoping that when it was quiet she would come out but no luck.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 156
Can you get a stick (maybe wrapped with some fleece) and gently nudge her out? Maybe remove the trap, maybe she doesn't want to walk on it?

If it were up to me I would remove the desk. We have a similar place in our house but it had cabinets which I removed to place a desk in instead. Maybe you can reach her if you only removed the desk top, it will easily be put back in place and will look the same.

I'm not sure how to take the top off. It's granite and is pretty heavy. Looks to be cemented on in the back.

I'm sorry. I'm racking my brain as I know you are. I guess she will come out when she is hungry. I would hope your parents would spend money on having the desk taken apart and put back before they would hire a exterminator. You are in my thoughts. Good Luck

get a live squirell/rat trap like the racoon ones but smaller, put some of her favorite food in there and leave the room. I use that with chinchillas all the time just instead of food I use dust. Always works within an hour. I have taken to just leaving it set most days LOL

Back