Rat lost inside built in desk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps there is a way to take out one of the drawers (slowly of course)? Or, perhaps if she just hears the sound of a drill, etc. she may come out to make a run for it?

I would assume she would come out at some point for food and water, especially if some yummy nom noms were waiting for her...maybe she should watch you eat something really yummy! Show her what she is missing out on!

I am sorry that this is happeneing to you. Approximately 2 years ago we had the same thing happen with Peanut, a tan female chinchilla. We used to let her run around in the kitchen but she discovered a teeny tiny hole up underneath the kitchen island that I had no idea was there. Our island is huge with a cooktop and HUGE granite counter top. We were beside ourselves...my husband agreed too take off the baseboards but we still couldn't get her out. He refused to do any damage to the island to get her out as it would be too costly to repair (typical male). My daughter and I were frantic because of the cooktop in the island there are both gas lines and electrical lines under there and we could here her chewing god knows what! We tried to coax her with her favorite treats but after about an hour and a half - I finally remembered the dust bath trick. We had to be very quiet and I sat next to the island for about 45 minutes but she did finally come out for the dust bath. She wasn't too happy when I scooped her up - she was covered in dust bunnies! :)

I don't own rats so don't know much about them but I think the trick is to put something right outside the hole she went in and if you don't have a trap cage then you will need to be there to grab it when it comes out.

I can stick a coat hanger in the holes I made and make her moved but it's not flushing her out. She has until Monday morning and my exterminator comes. I'm running out of options. I've tried the peanut butter trick, doesn't work, tried other foods, doesn't work. Any other foods that rats like that smells good?

I would try to make some kind of fish net and scoop her up, make it with a large pouch, she would just plop out otherwise. Fleece would work, in fact maybe she would welcome going into a fleece cozy.

FINALLY I was able to get her out. Made a loop on the end of a coat hanger and pushed her out. She didn't like it and squealed but I think finally she got fed up with it and came back out the hole she went in. I grabbed her and snapped a pic. This is the face of pure evil! Ricotta is back in her cage now. Thank goodness! Now I gotta patch up a few holes in the next few days. Do they still make mighty putty?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 128
I'm so glad you caught her! I've had one of my rats dissapear like that before, I got really lucky since I have a full grown cat and 4 kittens in the same room. I litterally thought the cat had gotten her. I came in the room to see if she was running around and of all the crazy things, I found her RIDING on the cat's back! Her little paws were clinging in her fur and she was riding her just like a horse! I wish I could have gotten a picture, it was the cutest thing ever!

YAY!!!!! I have been following this with bated breath. I am so happy for you.
:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

I'm so glad you caught her! I've had one of my rats dissapear like that before, I got really lucky since I have a full grown cat and 4 kittens in the same room. I litterally thought the cat had gotten her. I came in the room to see if she was running around and of all the crazy things, I found her RIDING on the cat's back! Her little paws were clinging in her fur and she was riding her just like a horse! I wish I could have gotten a picture, it was the cutest thing ever!

:hilarious:
What I would give to see that.

That lil bugger! What a cutie pie. Man, she gave me a headache.

I found her RIDING on the cat's back! Her little paws were clinging in her fur and she was riding her just like a horse!
Hahaha. Before I knew better I had a chin and a bunny caged together. She rode that bunny everywhere. We even installed another water bottle up high, bunny would take her over and wait for her to drink.

I was getting ready to suggest finding a hottie male rat gigolo to lure her out with his talents!:wink2:

Back