Question about growth on chin face

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

There was a chin at a pet store....hes up for adoption/re-homing....he has this weird growth ( like a huge bubble) on one side of his mouth you can see it the size of a golfball OMG !!! what could it be ? the person at the store said it was because he was overweight I feel differently...the chin is abut 6 years.....I was just curious as I have never seen anything like this on a chin!!!!

thanks

are these conditions if it was abscess,cyst, or tumor painful for a chin? Im torn I dont want to see a animal sitting in the pet store in pain !!!!!

That really need to be treated by a vet as soon as possible. It's probably a big abscess, those often don't turn out well if they keep on filling up and getting larger and larger...and can keep a chin from eating. I wish he was closer so I could go get him and take him to the vet. Could you adopt him and get him the care he needs? If it's an abscess or a tumor, it's not a good thing for the chin and it could mean he may end up dying from it if something isn't done.

Is it right on the side of his face? Or does it look like it is hanging off his face? Under his chin?

An abscess is basically an infection under the skin. It is a pocket of a collection of pus. They can burst but require veterinary attention for antibiotics to get rid of the infection. If it is an abscess, it could be caused by an infected tooth from the sounds of the location.

Cysts can be caused by various things, but also usually require medical attention.

If it's a tumor, it could be benign or it could be cancerous. Once again, without seeing the chin, hard to tell if it affects him in any way. Depends on the origin of the tumor and what it's involving. Benign tumors aren't harmful in the sense of cancer, but they can hinder various bodily functions depending on where they are located.

That really need to be treated by a vet as soon as possible. It's probably a big abscess, those often don't turn out well if they keep on filling up and getting larger and larger...and can keep a chin from eating. I wish he was closer so I could go get him and take him to the vet. Could you adopt him and get him the care he needs? If it's an abscess or a tumor, it's not a good thing for the chin and it could mean he may end up dying from it if something isn't done.

Is it right on the side of his face? Or does it look like it is hanging off his face? Under his chin?

if I was looking at chin and his face was pointing to the left side it would be on the side facing us,Im going to inquire and see what they are asking for him and if they may possibly wave the fees for me to take the chin to a vet.

An abscess is basically an infection under the skin. It is a pocket of a collection of pus. They can burst but require veterinary attention for antibiotics to get rid of the infection. If it is an abscess, it could be caused by an infected tooth from the sounds of the location.

Cysts can be caused by various things, but also usually require medical attention.

If it's a tumor, it could be benign or it could be cancerous. Once again, without seeing the chin, hard to tell if it affects him in any way. Depends on the origin of the tumor and what it's involving. Benign tumors aren't harmful in the sense of cancer, but they can hinder various bodily functions depending on where they are located.

thats definitely some good info this is why I was concerned Im going to try calling some vets first thing in the morning and see if I can help this chin and what exactly if anything the store knows seems like not to much!

This just gets me feeling annoyed animals have feelings too I get frustrated when people are uneducated I mean if we had a growth on us like that we would not assume its because we eat to much!animals deserve respect too!

Depending on where it is located it could be a tumor for sure. One place that I have noticed chins can get fatty tumors is just below the chin on the throat, sometimes chins can have lopsided fatty deposits on the neck or throat.

If it's on the side of the face, it really could be an abscess. I have seen those quite a few times on chins. Sometimes the infection starts on the inside of the mouth or even in the teeth. It's a tricky place for a chin to have an abscess in caring for it and getting it cleared up.

Sometimes females who are bigger get a growth type padding where their collars have rubbed for a lot of years under their necks.

Abscesses can be caused by Pastuerella so if you do get this chin quarantine for sure. They can also be caused by severe maloclussion which can be found in some cases by palpating under the jaw for bumps and points. I personally am torn, taking this chin, unless they give it to you, will only encourage them to get more just like it. If you do get the chin be very aware that it's highly possible it will require significant vet bills and may have a shorter life span depending on the cause of the abscess. Hopefully it's something simple like a scrape, bite, or cut that became infected and can be easily treated with antibiotics.

Kerri,

I'm in MA, just over the border. Where did you see him? I would like to go visit the poor guy. Maybe I can beg some "pro bono" work from the vet. I'd like to help if I can. He deserves a chance.

-Stacy

Kerri,

I'm in MA, just over the border. Where did you see him? I would like to go visit the poor guy. Maybe I can beg some "pro bono" work from the vet. I'd like to help if I can. He deserves a chance.

-Stacy

we are in Deerfield NH hes about 15 mins away Im going to call as soon as they open today

argh I was writing and refreshed the chin was adopted by my good friend and taking to the vet and is on Baytril and Metacam there was an infection/abscess in the mouth now X rays where taking and the vet said its not the roots of the teeth but tooth overgrown had to be filed ..and probably due to not having anything.. yes paid adoption for cage....plastic...plastic ball food all JUNK and thrown out!!! ...my friend who has has experience with chins will be taking him as we decided it will be best since the quarantine and the fact that I have a female chin even though they would not ever be together now in the future this may cause friction in the chin room after quarantine since they would be in separate cages but same room , and I really was not ready for a second chin now I am still bonding a year later and loving my chin-chin

Thanks I just know I have feelings when I see animals who need help I actually have an application on hold at the pet store in case they need any extra help I probably went to school for the wrong major lol but I need to def stay out of pet stores wanting to" help" I eventually will run out of friends who need pets lol

I am so glad to hear that he is being well taken care of. That is wonderful news! Hopefully it works out best for him in his new home. :)

Latest posts

Back