Question about Fleece Liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmor1031

Mikey is a vanilla bean!
Hi, I see a lot of people selling fleece liners with 3 layers, but are 3 layers really necessary for me?
I have one chin in a CN and he is potty trained and I have fleece that I have been making him hammocks and pillows with and I want to make liners but I dont have anything to put as a third layer and I dont want to waste the little amount of fleece I have to use as a middle layer.

Can I just make fleece liners with 2 layers? I know its technically up to me and my preference, but I wanted to see if anyone else uses 2 layer liners and why?

:thanks4:

Yeah, but I was wondering if that is really necessary? I am not expecting any accidents, so is that the only reason the cloth/towel/terry is used as the middle layer? And I think 2 layers of fleece would be enough padding,..

The middle layer acts as an absorbent layer. Most of my chins are potty trained too but they don't use the litter box 100% of the time. So, when they do pee on the liners, it is absorbed by the middle layer. Otherwise usually with only 2 layers of fleece the pee would just seep to the bottom of the pan and sit there.

i cant sew, so i just fold my fleece in half, so i only have 2 layers. i do have litter pans in all my cages and some use it for the most part. on the spots i know the pee, i ofen will put another smaller section of fleece. i also have metal pans in most of my cages, so if it does seep thru it goes to the pan. plus there is litter and hay strewn about the cage in an angry fashion........

Making a 3 layer liner is actually pretty simple. You'll need a chunk of beach towel or old bath towel the size of your pan plus 1" each way for seam allowances, and 2 pieces of fleece that same size. Stack the towel piece on top of the two fleece pieces, sew them all together with a 1/2" seam allowance, leaving a 6" run open at one corner, and flip the bottom piece of fleece over the towel (like turning a pillow case or sock right side out again). A running stitch at the hem will hide the threads and it's done. I have a Quality Cage; the pans are a little smaller than the FN/CN pans, so when I need a liner, I raid the "dog and car wash towel" shelf in the linen closet. Usually towels only get badly beat up on one end, so I leave as much of the frayed stuff off as I can before stitching it inside the fleece. Finishing with a running stitch gives you the chance to make sure all the little strings and threads are hidden from view... or "chew" as it may be, and assuming you got the fleece on sale, they're a cheap way of recycling instead of pitching your old towels.

When I first started making my own liners I would do only a 2 layer. Then I bought a 3 layer from someone and was wowed by the difference. I now make 3 layer ones and don't have to change them as often.

K I'll probably just wait til the weekend and go to walmart or target and buy some plain towels to use as the middle layer, just in case.

I'm just completely impatient and want to sew them right away :))

Back