quality cage metal shelf

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't tried them, but having wooden shelves just gives them more chewing options. That alone seems like a worthwhile trade off to me.

I didn't realize they started offering these as an option. I wouldn't use them for all my chins, but I have a Mom & Daughter who love to pee on their shelves so I will definitely get them for this pair.

I agree with Halfstache. I would say the pros and cons for each may be close to balancing out but the metal shelves offer no chewing options for the chins.

I'd personally avoid them...consider what happens to pee when it happens on a hard, non-porous surface? It sits...wet...then consider what'll happen to your chin when it prances around in it? Aside from getting wet it'd also be more of a slip hazard...pee on shelf...your chin leaves, jumps back on wet shelf and down it goes :( At least with the wooden ones it somewhat absorbs and while that's no good for the quality of the shelf...wooden shelves do NOT have to be replaced frequently...sanding and scrubbing with vinegar water will do the trick...dry good and put it back in. Just my thoughts, I have no actual experience with the new shelves but these are the issues I see.

you could do fleece lined metal shelves too if absorbancy is an issue. if you have plenty for them to chew and they dont tend to pee on shelves I dont see many issues.
It will conduct temps better-be cooler when cold and hotter when hot. If you have AC issues or heating issues in cold winter weather you may want another option too so little feetses have other temperature ledges.

I bought some and haven't had any problems with them, but I only swapped out 2 of them and also left some wooden shelves in the cage as well.

I like their metal shelves as they are easy to clean and disinfect. Wood is porous and when I get in new rescues, I have to throw out old wood items and replace completely as they cannot be sanitized effectively. I provide at least a wooden ledge as well though in addition to the metal shelves.

Back