Q on oxbow botanical hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searchand_dstry

I was just curious if it was okay to feed this all of the time?

This is the only hay that Murphy will not waste and he will eat every last speck of it. I'm just not sure if it's okay for everyday because it does contain the "extras" in it.

I mix a handful of the botanical hay with their timothy hay every other day just so they have some variety.

I do have Botanical hay but I would not feed it daily as a SUBSTITUE. It has 'treat herb' like hibiscus, lavender, rose hips, etc. SO as a TREAT only yes, but not as a substitute for your regular hay.

If none of the herbs are given I don't see why it can't be used everyday. Just picking up a handful of hay and shaking it gets all the little herb pieces off the hay. The herb scent will still be on it, so he should still eat it without an issue.

I mix it in with the Timothy hay about 2 times a week. Ihave one chin here that hates the botanical hay for some reason.

If you mix it in with some timothy hay and mix it up well, the scent from the botanical hay will also get onto the timmy.

I don't know that I'd feed it everyday as the sole hay with the herbs mixed in it, but that's just me. If it's the smell that is getting him to eat it, then that would be fine, but I don't think I would want my chin to ingest a ton of herbs. But I've never actually seen the hay so I'm not sure if there's tons of herbs mixed in it?

I don't know that I'd feed it everyday as the sole hay with the herbs mixed in it, but that's just me. If it's the smell that is getting him to eat it, then that would be fine, but I don't think I would want my chin to ingest a ton of herbs. But I've never actually seen the hay so I'm not sure if there's tons of herbs mixed in it?

Every bag I have bought kinfa had them sitting at the bottom of the bag because of the way the bag was sitting. A quick shake of the bag and the herbs were in the trash. Even if some was on the hay though, a quick shake of a handful of hay should get them off as well.

Yeah everything is at the bottom. He gets mix with orchard grass but I think he prefers the smell. It's mainly the timothy hay in it that he likes (but won't eat just regular timmy.. go figure).

I'll just get all the junk out, it settle anyways.

Yah, my chins really like it and i give it every couple days with the timothy. I like the
idea of mixing it, that the aroma is maybe what they're going for. I also give the
orchard grass over the timothy too.

I'm so glad this was posted, I ran out of timothy hay (almost, I don't let it get down to nothing) and couldn't find it anywhere! First time that happened, but there was botanical hay and I'm mixing it with what I have left of the timothy until I can find a store with it in stock.

Botanical hay, orchard, alfalfa, brome or oat hay I give as a 'treat' weekly, depending on which kind I have on hand. Just plain timothy is given daily.

I was feeding all of my chins a mix of orchard grass & timothy hay, but Murphy never really went for it. I will try mixing it together though.. it probably is the smell.

Latest posts

Back