Pumice question.....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eroomlorac

Poppy the mosaic squibbit
My chins love those white pumice stones. I don't know if I should be limiting them or can I free feed them as fast as they can chew them? I don't know what the calcium content of these pumice stones are and I'm wondering if I give them pumice too often if I am possibly putting my chins in jeopardy of forming bladder stones. Does anyone know? Thanks for any replies.

Thats actually a good question. I always limited mine to having it once a week, basically when cages were cleaned. I'd like to know if they do cause stones. Id assume it may be harmful because too much of anything is detrimental. What else do people have to say?

Since the chinchillas chew on pumice stones and don't eat it, there is no reason to limit it. I also don't see why pumice would have calcium in it?

That aside, high levels of calcium being ingested has not been directly linked to the development of stones. People theorize on it because most bladder stones are comprised of a type of calcium. There has been no direct culprit of stone development in chinchillas identified or researched.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm always curious why people say chins don't eat what they chew. I think they do eat some of it. Because, when they eat the bark off, they're not spitting it back out. Also, when I give lava bites, they chew them up, and sure, there's some dust left over, but not enough to compromise the whole lava bite. I really do think they eat some of it.

Would they over grind their teeth? I've never really heard of it but from access chewing is that a possibility?

Chinchillas, rats and other gnawing/chewing rodents have small flaps of cheek tissue that extend behind their incisors when they chew creating a block. Usually what they gnaw on to file down their incisors is not edible so these flaps create a barrier to keep inedible, foreign materials out of their systems.

Things in solid form and ground up form take up a very different amount of space and weigh different amounts. Mine don't pull the bark off their applewood...they just shred it into non-existence. They can eat some of what they chew, but generally when they are in the act of wearing down their teeth they do not eat what they are chewing.

I've never seen or heard of any rodent wearing their teeth down too far. They gnaw/chew when their teeth need to be filed down, which is constantly. Unless the chinchilla spends every moment of its life chewing on wood and pumice I don't see how they would wear their teeth down too far.

I guess that makes sense... but as silly as it sounds, I don't understand why I don't see more waste build-up from pumice stones, lava bites, etc. (similar in line to what Allie is saying). This mind boggles me because I never see my chin spit anything out; what goes in, seems to stay in.

I still think mine eat the bark. If I watch them, even with flaps to block off what they're chewing, they would have to spit it out, and I never notice this.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm always curious why people say chins don't eat what they chew. I think they do eat some of it. Because, when they eat the bark off, they're not spitting it back out. Also, when I give lava bites, they chew them up, and sure, there's some dust left over, but not enough to compromise the whole lava bite. I really do think they eat some of it.

Chinchillas, rats and other gnawing/chewing rodents have small flaps of cheek tissue that extend behind their incisors when they chew creating a block. Usually what they gnaw on to file down their incisors is not edible so these flaps create a barrier to keep inedible, foreign materials out of their systems.

A couple of my chins do swallow pumice. It makes their poop a very light brown, almost as light as sand.

I believe chins ingest a portion of soft pumice stones (lava bites). Dust sticks to their saliva. Personally I recommend against giving soft pumice (lava bites) to chins, but do recommend giving them hard pumice blocks. Just my opinion.

My chin has 3 lava ledges in his cage and I see waste constantly. I think the white rocks turn more to dust than break up into peices (the lava ledges do both), so its probably just mixing in with the excess dust from their baths, making it harder to notice. Of course a little dust will get on their tounges and will be ingested, but I honestly doubt enough to cause any harm. I don't know if there's calcium, but if there is, the amount they end up ingesting (barely any at all), should not cause any problems. If you're worried, than limit it-give 1/2 the amount of stones you usually give, or a 1/3, but I honestly doubt it's necassary.

And I asked on Yahoo Answers before i joined this forum if it's possible for them to wear down their teeth too much since mine is suddenly devouring his one pumice ledge so fast. Everyone said there shouldn't be any problem with that and now I believe it. I checked his teeth last night and they look like a healthy length. I have a feeling that if it were possiible, they'd probably know to stop gnawing for a little while to let a little more of their teeth grow back in. I'm honestly no longer worried about that.

I also don't think they 'spit' it out. It just falls out. When my boy gives me kisses, his tongue isn't wet-I don't think they have wet mouths like us where tthings get stuck in there and eventually swallowed. Like if I'm being stupid and lean over him while he takes his dust bath and dust blows up in my face and if it gets in my mouth, it sticks and is swallowed:p I don't think this happens for them-they're also smart enough to close their mouths, though, I'm sure, lol! Once my chin didn't close his one eye when taking his dust bath-that wasn't good and he scared my daughter with his big white eye, but he was fine-his eyes fine.

And I think they do actually ingest the bark off of applewood. I'd notice that. It probably tastes good so they eat it, but it isn't a treat, so don't worry-they can have applewood all day, everyday.

The Super Pet lava bites/dots/ledges are very hard pumice. The pumice stones that I find are very soft are the white stones which can be purchased in bulk. They are almost crumbly sometimes and when I drill them, sometimes they fall apart and crumble. The lava bites are very hard and pretty solid. They may break if you drop them but they are harder to drill and don't crumble like the white ones.

Personally, I don't give pumice all that often. It normally doesn't last too long and I find it easier to just hand out sticks or hang wood on their toys. Every once in a while I give Lava Bites (maybe a couple times a year). The chins really love them but they last a little longer than the softer white ones.

Chins will eat the bark of sticks for fiber, this behavior is intensified when a chin has digestive issues.

Latest posts

Back