Prolapsed Uterus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaneNJoeyChin

Woke up this morning to quite a scare. I noticed blood was spotted all over Jane Fonda's marble slab. I was trying to figure out where it was coming from, and noticed some on her chest. She was looked at for teeth issues, so I thought it might have been a tooth fallen out. Then I noticed what looked like a -KIND OF GRAPHIC- bubble of blood -GRAPHIC- near her privates. I immediately called the vet I go to, Community Animal Hospital in Dover, NJ.

When they looked at her underside, I couldn't look myself. Blood all over. I am 25, but my mother and I are very close and she met me at the vet for support. She looked when the doctor was examining and said there looked as if -KIND OF GRAPHIC- something that was supposed to be inside her body, was outside and she was all swollen in the area -GRAPHIC-. Doc took Jane in the back to examine more carefully.

She came back with three options:
1. A pollup, usually benign.
2. A tumor, which x-rays would knock out if there were growths elsewhere in her body such as the lung and if it was potential caner.
3. Prolapsed uterus. When the vet was examining, she said she probed in the area past the mass and couldn't see anything further into the vagina, nor how it attached to the uterine wall. This suggested that the mass and stem of it WERE the actual uterine wall, and uterus.

X-rays came back and we could see no masses in her lungs or elsewhere. Just a calcified area which looked as though it may have been one of the "horns" (as she said) of the uterus, with the rest of the uterus and the other "horn" outside of Jane right now. She's home for the night, so to make her less stressed without the dog and cat noises at the vet. Bringing her tomorrow morning early for her surgery. They're discussing a full spay, but we won't know until the vet calls us tomorrow right before, when she makes the decision.

I know a lot of people are breeders or may be interested in this story, so I'll keep you all updated. Plus, I just felt like reaching out to other chin owners in this scary time. <3

IMG00019-20101105-1020.jpg

If I were you I would just do a full spay, you can then pair her with any chin you want and not have to worry about further issues. Good luck!

About 30% of the time a prolapsed uterus can be pushed back in and will stay in place...possibly be sutured to stay in place and not come out after it is removed. However, 70% of the time there will be a reprolapse - it may not be the entire uterus coming out, it may be a vaginal prolapse.

Honestly, the best thing is to just do a spay. There can be problems with infection and other issues. Chins usually come through spays very well with no issues. As long as you have a good vet with experience of c-sections or spays on small animals, it should go smoothly and your chin will be fine. Sometimes this just happens with chins, and other animals...

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've definitely been a wreck these past couple of days over this.

Jane was scheduled for surgery yesterday. Dropped her off very early and the main exotic vet doc (who wasn't there on Weds) did her rounds at 9am. We got a call shortly after -- the mass that was coming out of her was gone. Every doctor there was perplexed. The vet doc who had seen it in person confirmed with our doctor that it wasn't there any longer. They kept her for observation until 4pm, during which Critical Care was administered.

When we met with our vet doc, she hypothesized a couple things: either Jane deflated or gnawed off what could have been a pollup and then proceeded to eat it (Not a lot of blood in the cage that morn, nor did we find any bloody mass), or it possibly went back into her body. She did an X-ray, which proved it was not the bladder that prolapsed (a good thing), and the calcified mass we saw yesterday is prob just a fat deposit.

We had three options:
1. Put her on antibiotics and pain medication and closely observe her at home.
2. Go in with an instrument and try and see if they can observe anything, although it is a very tiny, tight space and difficult to see into.
3. Do an exploratory surgery.

We decided to observe her at home, since surgery is very risky with chins and this was recommended by the doctor.

No one knows what exactly happened. She is currently on Baytril, Metcam, with 10CC of Critical Care administered throughout the day. I am only worried that I have not seen her drink out of her water bottle. This morning she peed! Which made me so, so relieved because I did not see her do so yesterday. She is eating hay and pellets. Her eyes look bright, and she still stands on her hind legs to be picked up. (Although she is not picked up unless administering medication right now.) She is more quiet than usual I think, but she is very sensitive to routines being changed and her cage being messed with. (We took out her second floor so she wouldn't jump up and put down towels.)

Now it's just a waiting game. I wish my love for Jane could just fix her. I know I have to have patience.

Jane is eating and drinking. She seems to be getting back to being her usual self.

I just wish we knew exactly what came out of her, and if she bit it off or if it may come out again.

I feel so lucky she appears to be getting better, but I'm so scared it will happen again.

It's very possible it was a prolapsed uterus that returned to its normal position within her body. I had a female with a prolapsed uterus that would return to its place in the body without outside help. I had her spayed.

If this is the case with your girl you need to keep males away from her since pregnancy could aggrivate the problem.

Back