Product warning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

I just wanted to warn anyone using the super pet hay manger. I had to take one of my kits to the vet this morning with an injured leg when she became entangled in the bars of this hay manger. Thankfully nothing is broken, but she has significant bruising and swelling and is not using the leg right now.
This is the second time I have had this happen. Please, if you use this hay manger, be very watchful that your baby doesn't get caught in it. I took all of mine out of the cages this morning and am going to be making some custom hay feeders that are safer.

Glad your baby doesn't have serious injuries.
Thanks for the warning. I don't use that particular item for my chins but thanks for the heads up :)

Back on CnQ there were many posts saying to not use hay mangers for this exact reason. The bar spacing on them is not safe so if your chin bounces around they can get their leg easily caught in them.

Sorry you had to go through this, but glad you are taking them out now.

Aren't they plastic too? I wanted a spinny one I saw at petsmart but they're plastic. I found a metal basket (actually for closet storage) that had little hangers on it that are perfect for putting hay it

no, the manger type aren't plastic. But those rolly ball ones can be unsafe too. It's best to not use one with bars. I use the wire ball ones but they don't hang in a way to pose any danger. Either that or I make fleece ones that I have in some of my girl's cages and those work too.

I actually use those type of wire ball things and haven't had any issues with them. There's different sizes of them. They obviously wouldn't be safe if you have kits, but for full grown chins I don't see the issue? They aren't like the mangers where the chin can bounce off of them when wall surfing in their cage, and the chin can't try to climb on top of them either because of how small the ones I have are.

I have a friend whose chin got his head stuck in that wire ball. Fortunately she saw him on time.

I used to use the suet feeders. Never had a problem but I removed the chain. I didn't stop for any particular reason, just stopped

Back