Probiotics??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know LifeLine from www.chocolatechinchillas.com was designed for chins in your situation - you can read the page on the websight.
Personally don't have any experience with Bene-Bac, but have heard of it here.

Bene bac is alright, but get some acidophilus capsules, too. You can sprinkle it over the food and get a little more into the chin. I prefer the capsules because I normally can get them very fresh. Sometimes the benebac has been sitting around for awhile and maybe it was allowed to get too warm. Usually with the human probiotic at the better health food stores it is always handled properly and has a good living organism count. I buy a shelf stable brand that really has been working well.

I used benebac years ago and I don't like having to get the gel into the chins. They don't seem to want to eat it quickly or at all for me. The probiotic sprinkled on the food ensures that they can get a little in every bite. And, I can always mix the probiotic in some liquid or some life line and get the chins to eat a huge quantity all at once. :)

I agree with Susan, a lot of times the gels in tube have been sweetened, which actually helps promote bad bacteria growth as well!

You can also mix in the acidophilus with the CC!

Yea i just tried to give the bene bac to him and yea right. Its a gel and he aint taking it. I am going to get the pills. How much do i sprinkle over food?

Why would you do that? Acidophilus is like $4, you just open a cap dump it in. Also, just because a chin appears healthy doesn't mean it is.

I've heard of people having to use that method for certain diseases but I wouldn't for this situation.

Last edited:
My vet has told me that, too. Ick...I don't want to collect droppings with the intent of making a chin eat them. :D

I like the probiotic better, it's just easier. It performs the same function only it is more concentrated. I suppose you could do the dropping thing. It's just not so appetizing. :)

I see chins eat their own poo so the concept isn't that off to me, but every animal has certain balances of certain things. Cocci is almost always in the system, just in controlled amounts, similar with eColi and others, every body is different and I feel that this is not the way to go for probiotic when you can get it cheap in the store, in pure form. If you were doing it for antibody properties that would be different, but for probiotic use I think that's definitely taking the long route.

That's true. Certain chins can be more sensitive to different bacteria. Their bacterial levels are going to differ. That's one of the reasons for quarantine in new animals that have been on different diets.

Probiotic has gotten so cheap lately, it isn't anything like it was a few years ago. For $10 to $20 you can get a bottle that will last for a very, very long time with the chin. It benefits the digestive system so much and boosts immunity - it really should be given with any illness, when new animals go to new homes and on occasion even after the animals have settled in. The food I use has several strains of probiotic, and that has definitely made all the difference...even if it isn't terribly much compared to what I heap on when I mix a capsule in their pellets!

This may be a stupid questions but what's the difference between acidophilus and probiotic or are they the same? I know I should know this but my brain is not computing right now. I've been wanting to grab some stuff for preventative but I haven't yet.

Latest posts

Back