Pregnate chin is super aggersive!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so ive had chins for awhile now and i introduced my male to my female and she became pregnant about 3months ago. I noticed she started getting somewhat aggressive twords him about a week ago so i took him out of the cage that the female was in and put him in his own cage for about a day or two. Today i tried to put him back in hoping she was just having mood swings but she went CRAZY. she chased him all around the cage when i went in to get him out she charged me and bit my hand. (i know she didnt mean to, she only bit me because i had him. i can pick her up out of her cage without a fight.) but i want to know if this is normal, should i keep him out of the cage until she gives birth? or is there a way to put him back in the cage without a fight? please help, i just want happy healthy chins!

I would keep him out of the cage. You will want to take him out before the female gives birth anyway to avoid a breedback, probably this is a good signal that they should be separated. If you put him back, you are risking his health and the health of the baby (if it were to be in the middle of a scuffle).

I agree they will need to be kept separate. sometimes females want the male out and to stay out..if you try to force the issue you will potentially have dead animals

Please keep them separated until after the babies are weaned. That way you avoid fights, injuries and possible deaths. You will also avoid a breedback, which is not good for the female.

Definately keep the male out if not she will kill him. You may even have trouble getting him back with the female after the kits are weaned. Sometimes the female decides she has 'had it' with the male and that is that

yea i realized that i should take him out, i guess i was more worried about her never letting him back in. I guess my real question is, after she gives birth and the kits are weaned. Will she ever let him back in or should i look into getting him a new female and her a new male?

She may never accept him again, there's no way of knowing. Why not just keep them in their own cages? Enjoy them separately. Chins do not NEED a buddy/mate and some clearly prefer not to have one. There is no guarantee that "new mates" would get along with either chin any better...

Just a thought... ;)

I agree with Niki. Keep them separate. You can put the cages side by side (not so close that they can bite each other) so they have someone to 'talk to'

yea i already have them side by side. She was lovie with him before she was pregnant and for most of the pregnancy. Ill try what you said and put them side by side si they can talk. and hopfuly she falls for him again.

you can try after the kits are weaned. I have a pair that about 2 weeks before she gives birth will become very hatful to him and attack him. but as soon as the babies are weaned she will take him back. she blames him for the pregnancy but forgives him later on lol. if they don't stop fighting after the kits are weaned though they will never get along.

haha thank you jacd061506 for the extra bit of positivity. I somewhere deep inside think she will take him back... maybe she is just tired with a standard gray guy and she wants and ebony lol

yea i already have them side by side. She was lovie with him before she was pregnant and for most of the pregnancy. Ill try what you said and put them side by side si they can talk. and hopfuly she falls for him again.

Chinchillas are not humans. They do not "fall" for each other. She's probably attacking him because all he cares about is mating her and she's already pregnant. Her body is devoted to giving the kits nourishment. No one is to say whether or not she will get along with him again. Chinchillas will kill each other if they feel like it. They do not need to be together anyway; as soon as she has the kits he will most likely try to breed her back, so then she will be pregnant AND be nursing kits.

Not to be negative but you do realize that if you put him back after the kits are weaned she will most likely get pregnant again. That means the possibility of the same issue again, I don't know if you want to keep breeding them or not, just a thought.

The first thing you need to understand when breeding is chinchillas are not people..they do not have the same emotions. You need to keep this in mind when pairing animals. how can you focus on quality rather than the emotions you are giving these chinchillas. They are not people in furry coats they do not have the emotional ranges.

Yes i understand all of this. I understand that chins are not humans and they do not have emotions like humans have. I know they dont get attached the same way as we do. Just because i talk about them being in love or her "falling for him" i do not mean it literally.

but i think its fun to imagine them as being in love and being soul mates. And i know a lot the people on here like to imagine the same thing despite the fact that they know in reality its not true.

Now that im done being talked down to. I also realize that they will mate again and my plan isnt put him directly in the cage when she is still feeding her kits. I wouldn't even have let them breed if I didnt know the basics of breeding. Chinchillas are rodents and their soul purpose in life is to breed. If you dont know that you shouldn't own any rodent especially a chins.

and as for their quality's, the female is really shy but she likes to be held a lot when she gets use to you. and the male is very out going but he dosnt like to be held. They are both standard gray for the most part but i believe the female has a little ebony in her. I know all this i know to pair qualities to make a better next generation.

Sorry if i sounded rude there for a second,I just dislike it when people act like you dont know anything when you ask one question. For that reason i dont go to pet shops(that and there horrible quality and poor treatment of animals).

I do appreciate all who answered my questions tho, for the most part the form is amazing.

If they are breeding quality chinchillas with pedigrees, there should be no guessing if she has a "little bit of ebony" in her. Either she is an eb, an eb/possible eb carrier or she has no eb at all in her history. It should be clear on her pedigree... if she has a gray belly but no eb in her lines, she's a dirty-bellied standard which is undesirable for breeding unless she is great in other qualities and you're breeding back to eb.

Also, being shy or allowing someone to carry them are not breeding qualities. All my rescues allow me to pick them up and pet them but they should not be bred as I don't know anything about their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. or if there was malo in the lines, plus they do not have good breeding qualities (clarity of color, clear bar, white belly, good density, good conformation, straight fur shaft, good length of fur, etc.) Just because they are friendly does not mean they should be bred. I could breed all my rescues and get super friendly baby chins who have to be put down at age 3 due to malo and look like thinned-fur rat-face animals to add to the overflowing pet population.

I am not trying to be rude so please don't take my post the wrong way but what you posted are not qualities which compliment one another for improved offspring the next generation. That type of breeding undermines all the work that responsible breeders do and the improvements they have worked so hard at.

I see you are rather new to the forum by your post numbers. The "heat" your facing on your post is the fact that many folks on this forum have seen or heard or came face to face with the realities of unwanted chins. Now I am not saying your animals are unwanted at your home. What I hope to reinforce to you is that chins live a very long time. In todays society too many animals of every kind are being overbred. And the reality is that many rescue places and humane societies are being overwhelmed. The economy isn't helping either. For instance I have worked for years with the humane society in the care of cats at Petsmart giving animals a hope for life from our kill shelter. And many on this forum run chin shelters or take in what they can from rather grim circumstances as well.

I welcome you to the forum. Sometimes people are going to feel the "heat" in here so to speak. Now take a deep breath and read the next few sentences. I hope this helps you to understand the reason for some of the previous posts.
A great number of people in here ( including myself ) have spent years in research before taking the steps to breed. We strive to produce the best quality animal for the show table. From such mundane topics as animal husbandry to understanding the wide range of extreme problems that could and will go wrong with breeding. Nothing is more heart breaking then the loss of your best female. Since your animals are not in a run ( and I don't use one either ) you could end up with another pregnancy, a beat up male or female, death of either and death of kits from dad wanting mom.

My friend your animals will be just fine seperated. I know this for a fact. I took in a male/female combo that were pets. Lady loved them and couldn't care for them. The female had kits. The lady was breeding them end to end for cash. ( bless her stupidity) My little Miss Ava is the most loving animal after these several years because she doesn't have to breed until she's a senior citizen. Her mate Mr. Wilson was not happy being seperated. And you know the sounds your male makes. HE WANTS TO BREED. Simple. Your a guy and you "get it". My sweet Mr. Wilson went onto a new home happy to be with a young male as buds.
Come join us at a show if there is one in your area. We would love to have your company and I promise there is always something to learn. You don't have to have show animals. While you may never enter the show world you can learn and meet some of the most educated people in the chin world.

Blessings upon your female. And it is my heartfelt wish that you would keep them seperated. And read the FAQ's for kits. You just may need it. I had a nightmare of a problem with quads this year. It was enough to make me almost cry several times. I was exhausted and it went on for weeks. I even had to resort to calling several mentors for help by phone.

I did not let my female get pregnant because i wanted to sell the kits. i have no intent to sell any of them.

Thank you for your post "6Dusters" you seem like a kind and a very well spoken, personable individual. I know it was not anyone else intent to come off rude or smug but a lot of people did. you did not. Also i want to thank you for not assuming the worst just because im newer to the chin world.

Novices come here to ask questions and learn from experienced owners/breeders in order to not make a mistakes and to learn. But if they ask a question and the responses they get are rude and sound prosecuting than they might be to afraid to ask more questions witch may lead to unhealthy, low quality, "thinned-fur rat-face"animals. Do you really want people out there getting all their info from "ehow"? I'm just saying dont assume the worse in people and dont assume people are totally ignorant just because they ask a question or need a little advice.

And I can understand yours and everyone else concern on a novice breeding. To relieve a little of your concerns i want everyone to know i let her breed once and im going to let her breed only once. I am NOT going to sell her babies they are for me and for me only to learn first hand about the whole process and how to raise a chin from kit to fully grown. I hope to one day get into breeding on a "show" level but that is far off, im 23 so i have some years to figure it out.

Also,"6Dusters" I am planning on going to a show as soon as it comes around (i dont know exactly when that is yet). That way i can learn more from seeing quality chins and talking to breeders with good reputations. And one day down the line if i decide to fully pursue breeding i will know who to talk to and i will know where to get chins with full ancestries.

Once again thank you for all of your help "6Dusters" and everyone else who answered my original question.

To relieve a little of your concerns i want everyone to know i let her breed once and im going to let her breed only once. I am NOT going to sell her babies they are for me and for me only to learn first hand about the whole process and how to raise a chin from kit to fully grown.

In previous posts you said you were trying to put the male back with her but she was repeatedly showing aggressive. That means she would be put back into breeding. I didn't know of any other way to read into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back