Pregnant mother is really lethargic

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleFarm

I just got home to notice my pregnant chin is laying on bottom of cage. In arizona it was a warm day, in the 80's and possibly hotter inside. I am putting her on a ice block and trying to giver her water, also wetting her ears. Any advice?

You don't have air conditioning? She needs to be way cooler, an ice block and wetting her ears will do nothing- over 80 is just too hot...

Advice is chins cannot be in temperatures that hot. A chinchilla should be kept in a cool dry place, with a temp no higher than 72 degrees. If she has heat stroke she needs sub q fluids and since she's pregnant she should see a vet immediately. Not only she but the babies she is carrying can die without help from a vet who knows about chinchillas

You really need to have a/c if you're going to have chins. Treating heat stroke is not ideal, prevention is easier and better.

Thanks for all the replys

We do have AC but that day it was a freak warm day and thermostat was still on heat so it didn't kick in . I am proud to say that the recovered fine! we have her salt water with some sugar and cooled her off .. And she just became a mother today!

Back