Pregnant female???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyandmychins

Hi everbody! Week and a day ago (Oct. 31st) My chin gave birth to two healthy kits. Everything is going well! Today I went and felt her tummy and it felt firm. Is there some possibilty she is pregnant and going to deliver soon. She is eating and pooping normally, pretty sure she is peeing normally because there is wet beddind, and her kits are gaining. It may be nothing, but just want to know. Thank you!!!

If she bredback, she wouldn't be due for 3 1/2 months... so no, she shouldn't be about to deliver soon. If her belly is firm, she either has bloat or a retained fetus.

I disagree with both of the above. Chins have two uterus-es, which means they can, and have carried double pregnancies. I've had it happen here more than once, one baby was two weeks later, another was a month. Is it common, no. Can it happen, yes.

Take a poo, and break it open look for the swiss cheese look. That will tell you a lot about if she's having gas issues.

I didn't realize they could have seperate deliveries. That's interesting. I knew they could be impregnated at different points and one baby could be premature while the other is full term, but I had read that when one delivery starts it usually kicks the other one in.. that's all I ever found regarding it .

I've had a couple that appear to be two litters that birth at the same time. I believe it's a matter of how far along and what type of labor it is, like humans chins can have harder labor or easier labor. I've had the kits survive from second litters like that. And I've had a couple litters with like 2 normal kits and one "premie" or the other way two little ones and one "normal" one, which is probably a second litter but could be a umbilical cord issue. In most cases the kits have done okay from them but often need close watching or fostered out to avoid being pushed away or bullied. I know other breeders have had that happen as well.

If her belly is firm, she either has bloat or a retained fetus.

I disagree with both of the above. Chins have two uterus-es, which means they can, and have carried double pregnancies. I've had it happen here more than once, one baby was two weeks later, another was a month. Is it common, no. Can it happen, yes.

Why do you disagree with the other suggestions? It seems like you've offered a third scenario, but I don't see how it discredits the possibility that the chin may be bloated or have a retained fetus (which seems like it would be equal or more common then a double pregnancy)? If there is a retained fetus this mother will go down fast and the OP will be left with orphans to handfeed and raise. I would suggest that if the OP is concerned you should take Mom to a knowledgeable vet to get a proper diagnosis. This isn't something you should play the waiting game with.

Last edited:
While I know about superfetation in chins, I didn't suggest it because 1) it's not that common and 2) if this were a case of superfetation, it's much more likely that the premie(s) would have been delivered at the same time as the fully developed kits. I knew about Riven's case of delivering live kits weeks to a month later so I'm aware it's a possibility, but it's highly rare so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. I think it's better to eliminate the more common causes of firm belly than automatically jumping way left field. Honestly though, given this is a newbie breeder and poster that is overexcited about their first litter, I'm not even confident the OP can tell a firm belly from a flaccid one.

Last edited:
I would be more inclined to think of the first two scenarios also. When you hear hooves, think horses not zebras.

Op, you would have to know what you are feeling for, seeing discharge/contractions or have a vet confirm there was no retained fetus. Those items you mentioned are not indicators to rule that out if she does indeed have a firm belly.

I don't disagree with either of Mish's suggestions. I disagreed with the indication in both previous posts that it was not possible to have another pregnancy. While I said it was possible, I don't think it is probable, and never stated it as such, simply that it could happen.

Personally I don't think it's a retained kit. Usually with a retained kit IME the mom never bounces back after delivery and stays in a semi lethargic state, often eating and drinking little and in turn her born kits suffer due to lack of milk production, they will look ill, she will look ill. By a week and a half the mother was be very septic by now as there would be a rotting kit inside of her. This is my personal opinion, I'm not a vet. I personally dis-reagrded this and asked about the poo which can help check for signs of bloat, to which the OP never answered yet.

Similar to what Mish said, I don't necessarily agree that the belly is an issue either. Usually for a few days the belly is flaccid as Mish says but it firms back up quickly as the uterus shrinks. A chin's belly SHOULD be firm, not soggy or over extended ( too firm ). Usually in the time after birthing a mother eats more to care for her kits and to replenish the nutrients her body used to grow them and deliver them, which means she puts out more waste, and has more fecal material in her intestinal tract.

I personally think if anything it would be poss. bloat, again my opinion. I would check the poo, assuming there is plenty of intake and output I would use a probiotic to encourage good digestion, if there are a lot of holes in the poo I may give some simethicone to relieve that aspect while the probiotics get a chance to work.

ETA: The OP stated while I was typing my novel, that they felt the belly during pregnancy, did you feel it before she was? I have females who ALWAYS have a firm belly like a pregnant chin, whether they are pregnant or not. I have others who are softer, pregnant or not. Personally, and as Mish indicated, it is probably NOT a second pregnancy. There is more to pregnancy than a firm belly, firstly embryos... but other than that, other things as well. So how's the poo?

Last edited:
I did not feel her tummy before she was pregnant. I don't think it is a second pregnancy, she just may have a firm belly. I haven't been able to check her poo because I am sick now. I am not making an excuse, I or my mother will check it soon. Thank you all for your opions!

The swiss cheese effect comes from gas bubbles in the intestines, that it's in the poo means it is there, but is moving through. I would do a probiotic, like acidophilous, it will promote good bacteria growth in the gut which will help digest food better.

What diet are you on? Hay? Treats?

Mazuri is kind of notorious for either working awesome or causing problems. I would so a 1/4 tab of acidophilus daily for a week then every other day or so for a treat. Too much won't hurt them ( within reason of course, lol ) but too much will take away from their nutrition.

Back