Pre Pairing Playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brekai722

ChinCrazy and Loving It
Prior to setting up mating pairs, sometimes I like to have playtime. I usually put several available males and females in a supervised situation to see if anyone decides they fancy a particular chin. I know some of you are going to say that this is not the way to pair, but I consider it to be similar to colony breeding only after they make their choices they are put in cages together. I pick the males and females most suited for mating in the group. In this case I put 3 strong healthy well furred standard males and one pink white male. The females are a white violet, 2 violet, 1 standard. The pictures are mostly the males because Silverrose was wondering how her boys were doing. The pairings are as follows: Skeeter (violet F) and Very Dark Standard from Silverrose), Standard (Silverrose) to Standard, Standard (Silverrose) to White Violet. Bitsy (Skeeter's little girl) with Pink White.

Here's some pictures (mostly the boys).

Attachments

• Playtime 005.jpg
    Playtime 005.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Playtime 001.jpg
    Playtime 001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Playtime 029.jpg
    Playtime 029.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Playtime 035.jpg
    Playtime 035.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 83
more Pics

Here's some more playtime pics

Attachments

• Playtime 049.jpg
    Playtime 049.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Playtime 047.jpg
    Playtime 047.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Playtime 040.jpg
    Playtime 040.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Playtime 042.jpg
    Playtime 042.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Playtime 044.jpg
    Playtime 044.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 65
When's the last time those babies had a bath? And seriously? Your pairing method? What the heck? Even in a colony breeding setting, chins are put together based on how they can complement each other, not so a chin can pick one over the other.

As for a bath. After the pictures they each got a bath in their new accommodations. Sorry that the fur was so messy. As far as my mating method. I did pair them by quality. The fur on each of the standards (even without a bath) is exceptional thanks to Silverrose. The mates they were chosing from will produce beautiful young due to them also having exceptional fur quality. I always have final say in the mating but why not let the chinnies pick there own if the quality is not an issue. I have found that temperment and quality have resulted from my method and I have had no complaints on the quality of my offspring. If you have suggestions on better mating of these guys please let me know, otherwise please try to enjoy the pictures. I'm open to suggestions but hold the criticizm please. When the pairings were discussed with Terese she thought they would be good and they ended up just as I expected. I'll try to get updated "clean" shots of the chins after dust baths if that helps.

I just wanted to clarify some things as I feel a bit embarrassed. I sold these boys to Sonia a long while ago, early last year. I was totally proud of these boys, as they were really stunning and would have taken them to show at York had they not been sold. And I agree that these pictures and husbandry practices do not do them enough justice. I neither practice nor particularly agree with her pairing methods, but I tried to at least give her a little bit of advice. It seems my advice was not completely taken in full. All I can do now is hope they are all loved and taken care of...

wow people on here are harsh. I think you are a very good breeder and owner. Your chins get all the love they could endure. I i think that if your going to be stuck with someone and ontop of that have to do "it" with them then why not it be with someone you like, her chins should get to pick. i like how she does it. And myself has 3 baby girls from her that are my pride and joy and i couldnt ask for any better chins EVER! Im waiting on a little black chin at the moment as well that will of course turn out like gold and you know why shes going to be such a wonderful chin? because she will be coming from Sonia! Yeah yeah i know someone out there is gunna smash my reply. go ahead. im ready to here it...

wow people on here are harsh. I think you are a very good breeder and owner. Your chins get all the love they could endure. I i think that if your going to be stuck with someone and ontop of that have to do "it" with them then why not it be with someone you like, her chins should get to pick. i like how she does it. And myself has 3 baby girls from her that are my pride and joy and i couldnt ask for any better chins EVER! Im waiting on a little black chin at the moment as well that will of course turn out like gold and you know why shes going to be such a wonderful chin? because she will be coming from Sonia! Yeah yeah i know someone out there is gunna smash my reply. go ahead. im ready to here it...

Rachel - It would be better if you did not comment on things that you have no clue about. You do not breed chins by which one thinks the other one is cutest. This isn't high school. I have some fur chewing girls here who adore the male that is in the next stack over. That means I should breed them together, doesn't it? After all, breeding should be ALL about who you like.

Following that thought process, I also shouldn't have castrated my genetically blind newfie because he wuffs my rottie girl.

When you breed, you make the conscious choice to put two animals together, and when you do that, it should be the best pairing possible. That means putting animals together that complement each others strengths and weaknesses. A male chin will wag it's tail at any female chin that goes by because he is horny, not because he "likes" them and they are great friends. They are animals. They would breed their own mother's, sisters, daughters if you let them. If you are going to breed, it's your job to make sure you do it responsibly.

BTW, nobody's response was harsh. While following the advice of not commenting on things you have no clue about, I'll remind you not to self-police. That's also not your place.

Well, I guess I will give up. I really believed that the pairings were for the betterment of the breed and color but the choices I ultimately made. Sorry Silverrose if I have disappointed you in my choices. I tried to pick the females that I thought would make the best matches with your standards who are of such high quality.

Brekai,

There is sooooooo much more involved in pairing chins then just saying they are quality. No two chinchillas are exactly alike. You need to carefully look at strengths and weaknesses and pair them accordingly.

For example, male #1 has good color and conformation, but needs more fur. You pair him with a female that has a ton of fur. Male #2 is smaller, but has a lot of fur. You pair him with a female that has size (and hopefully also has a lot of fur, good conformation, etc.)

The other issue here is that you may end up with pregnant females by the time you are done, and have no clue who the male is.

Girl chins dream of tall black velvets, or biker(wheel) dudes. And I'm sure boy chins don't desire big blocky females, they probably want little, skinny, and practically kits!

Girl chins dream of tall black velvets, or biker(wheel) dudes. And I'm sure boy chins don't desire big blocky females, they probably want little, skinny, and practically kits!

HAD the biker in my life. I now want one with good fur too. And preferably a job!!!!!!!!!!

OK I thought this pairing manner was a little diffeerent. I have a female who likes none of my boys but will tolerate one male(Beige). Thank God he is perfect for her. SHe is very blocky and well furred and so is he. He is a bit smaller than her so should improve in the size.

I am not a pro at this so I ask for help. Luckily I have a couple good friends who walk through this stuff with me.

Letting chins pic their own mates is like turning 5 teenage boys out with 10 teenage girls. I would love to say it would not be a buffet but it will be.

Sonia- I loved the pics ! I also got chins from you and I believe you are a great person and you take VERY good care of your chins. I am looking forward to getting more in the future from you. (:) About breeding....i dont know ANYTHING about it i will be honest. hee hee. But i know your chins get all the tlc any chin could ask for. I know that you give your chins a bath as needed...yess all 95 of them. lol. Like i said I have gotten 4 gorgeous chins from you and I couldn't ask for better chinnies. I'm sorry for all the responses you got from this thread...but I just thought I would post this reply to let you and everyone else know that you are a wonderful person and you take GREAT care of your chins. You are a very good friend...Hope all is well. (:)

Back