Poor Mamma!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuddlebug

My standard girl, Bambi, had her litter on Sept. 5th. She weighed in at 1142 prior to the birth (she's normally around 800). I was praying it would be triplets rather than one huge kit (previous litters were both singletons). Well, she did have triplets, but holy cow they were big! The "runt" of the litter was 55 grams. The other two weighed in at 60 and 75. All 3 kits and mamma are doing fine. I just really gotta feel for her.

And since I know that a thread about kits requires pictures, here they are. Standard male, Texas - 75 grams, extra dark ebony girl, Carolina - 60 grams, and beige female, Georgia - 55 grams.

Attachments

• Texasweb.JPG
    Texasweb.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 89
  • carolinaweb.JPG
    carolinaweb.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Georgiaweb.JPG
    Georgiaweb.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 76
They are adorable! Texas is huge! Did I see rolls on his little arms? I'm very happy to hear the delivery went well and all are ok.

Thanks, everyone. And, yes, Tex has fat rolls. He's a big piggy, too. He won't let his sisters nurse. I am going to have to rotate him out so that they can eat.

I am very relieved and Bambi looks like she is, too. She's just so much more comfortable now. Tex took the longest and he was the first. Once he was born, the other tow came out really fast, and momma was so tired that I had to help her dry them.

My husband named Georgia, then my son suggested Texas because as we all know "everything is bigger in Texas". Since we had a start on state names, Carolina seemed to be the right name for the little ebony.

Awesome litter!! Was the father a tan?

Those kits look like they are a few weeks old instead of newborns. Momma did great!

They are gorgeous & such fitting names. It's really neat that each of the chins are different colors. I honestly don't recall anyone posting pix of trips all being so different.

Arwenrose, Yes, the sire is a medium tan.

Thanks again, everyone. We just love the little rainbow of kits. Oh, and Texas is over 100 grams already! Such a little piggy.

They are all doing great. Momma doesn't have enough milk for all three, so I am doing some handfeeding to help her out. The kits are all gaining 4 -5 grams a day and are very spunky.

Have a silly question, how do you know if mom doesn't have enough milk?
Handfeeding is hard work if you have to do it every few hours. But isn't it nice to see them grow? I love that part. Glad to hear that the family is okay (even if they need a bit of your help).

If the kits are not gaining weight or are losing weight, then the mother does not have enough milk and you need to hand feed the kits.

Back