Poll..Chin spin or Flying saucer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one do you vote for?

• Chin Spin

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • Flying Saucer

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters

addictedtochins

Socially inept
I guess I should get the boys a wheel for Christmas, I have 4 boys all in one cage so it will get lots of use. Which is better in your opinion, or do you have another wheel in mind. I saw a Silver Surfer at chins.com.

I have both, and I like both equally. I would lean towards the flying saucer though, as some of the powder coating on my chin spins has started chipping off.

I have both in a split 142 and I like them both. The saucer might be a bit sturdier though by the way it attaches vs the chin spin. The way I figured out to attach a chin spin seems to put most of weight on just 2 of the screws instead of all 4 of them.

Also having 2 in there might be a good idea with 4 boys to hopefully avoid squabbles.

One thing to consider is where you have your cage... we have both, and I voted CS since it's quite a bit quieter, and our cages are in the bedroom. If noise isn't an issue, the FS does seem a bit sturdier, though sometimes it takes a bit longer for the chins to pick up.

I voted chin spin because I do have some that will not use the saucer. However, I have one boy that is obsessed with a wheel and drops a bunch of weight but does well with a saucer.

I agree get one of each

I voted for Chin Spin because I have a Chin Spin and my chin loves running like a maniac on it. It does need to be tightened periodically and is pretty quiet (except for when it starts getting loose again).

The only problem I'm having with the Chin Spin: My chin sometimes goes into crazy chewing moods, and for some reason she has chewed a bit of the powder coating off the edge of the wheel (once) and lately, she's been trying to reach the back of the wheel to chew the wood backing.

My chin is a little bit on the clumsily side, so if I had to replace my wheel, I would probably buy another Chin Spin to be safe.

I voted for chin spin. I have owned both. Most of my chins (except the rescues) are in my bedroom. Because of this it's all about noise factor for me. My chin spins are relatively silent (except when they shake the cage by running like a maniac). Even with the wood base, my flying saucer made a bit more racket. My chins also seem to run more on the chin spin then they did on the flying saucer.

All in all though, both are fantastic wheels and worth the money.

I would never get a chin spin again. It's hard to clean due to the textured coating, not to mention you need heavy chins to not have them spinning upside down. I have had a leo braun which was nice or one from ebay that was great. Never had a saucer so cannot comment.

I think both the Chin Spin and the Flying Saucer are great, my chinnies have both. Picchu doesn't use hers though. I would get the Chin Spin of the two. I think all chinnies will use it, the Flying Saucer isn't liked by some.

I've only had flying saucers here. All my chins (14 total) learned to use them in a day or two. In our apartment, the chins were in the living room (right by the couch) and we didn't have a problem with wheel noise.

I have a flying saucer for my boys, and they love it. It is easy to clean, and by adding a block of wood under the support bar, I can make it practically silent. While Edmund uses it more, I don't think he prevents Jack from using it.

At what age do you allow young chins to start using either of them? My newest two are just over 4 months, and weigh over 600 gms.

Kawaii Hedgie Chin Love -- thank you for answering! I figured they were large enough, but wondered if there were any developmental issues to be concerned about, like riding horses that are too young because their bones have not finished growing - lol.

What size of the wheels does everyone use? Does anyone else have that Silver Sirfer? Looks interesting!

I have a flying saucer, a silver surfer, and a couple chin spins. So I can't really make a vote one way or the other. The chin spin has a wider deck. The silver surfer has a smaller deck. The flying saucer really allows my girls to run stretched out through the body.

I will say the silver surfer can be a bit loud when Jack goes "turbo". And it took my girls about two months to learn how to use the saucer.

SPECIAL NOTE to anyone with a wire bottom cage and little kits learning to use a wheel. When they are old enough to run on a wheel, I placed a large peice of fleece off side the wheel deck over the wire. So when Pippy was learning and was shot off the wheel, her little feet landed on the fleece vs an open wire hole. Kit's little legs could be broken off if running have a bad slip off the wheel. I sure enjoyed watching her learn. She now has mastered running on the top of the wheel. :wacko:

What size of the wheels does everyone use? Does anyone else have that Silver Sirfer? Looks interesting!

Melody..I have the 16" Silver Surfer. It is the one shown in the link in my post. I agree that it can get a bit loud when Trixie goes into turbo mode..but we have learned to deal with it.

Latest posts

Back