Please help!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally do not use or believe in herbs myself, nor do I use them on chins to cure ailments, I know people here that do and I reserve judgement since I have no desire to learn about them . I think people here just want to make sure you have a good vet you trust when breeding or actually just owning a chinchilla, you don't want a learn as you go vet to practice on your chin if you can help it.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the echinacea that's bothering him around his face. I've taking A LOT of echinacea in my live and let me just say it's very sticky, so that might be his problem and that's why he's cleaning his face so much. Speaking of echinacea he's been loving the stuff but this morning he didn't take any so I'm not sure if that's a good thing (because his body has no use for it anymore) or a bad thing (he's not feeling well so he's not taking it)

I use some herbs and flowers in my chins but all the one I use are dried. and they are mixed with other ingredients so my chins dont get too much of any one thing.

I would be a bit more cautious using a liquid with them as the liquids of herbal remedies are often very concentrated. I would say cut out the echinacea for now and stick to good pellets and lots of fresh hay. I am not a breeder so I can not comment on why he would be red and or swollen in that area. but i do have all boys and they do hunch over like that when "grooming" themselves. I have read that you could rub a drop of lubricant between your fingers when doing the hair ring check to make it a bit easier. perhaps that would help in his case since he may be a bit irritated.
I would also be inclined to take him out of breeding for a bit to give him a rest.

If it is a urinary track infection it's not contagious so that's why she's still with him and she's helping him calm down.

Urinary tract infections can be contagious if they are due to bacteria - don't assume. If left untreated they can cause significant kidney problems.

Speaking of echinacea he's been loving the stuff but this morning he didn't take any so I'm not sure if that's a good thing (because his body has no use for it anymore) or a bad thing (he's not feeling well so he's not taking it)

Chinchillas do not know what their body needs - they aren't going to take a supplement because their body needs something and then stop taking it because their body doesn't need it anymore - it doesn't work like that.

You have not been attacked by anyone - but automatically saying "I don't want to take him to the vet" is going to get a lot of flack from most of us on the forum.

To mishellyshel: Thank you for your post. I do the same thing, all of my chinchillas get mazuri pallets with some dried herbs, oats and grain mixed in. They also always have fresh Timothy hey all the time with a little orchid grass mixed in.
If I see him messing with himself again I'll definitely use lubricant but since I haven't seen him doing it at all sense last night I'll leave him alone.
Another thing is he's only with one female and she's been with him for months now so she should be pregnant she's just not showing yet.

Please calm yourself. I didn't assume anything. I quoted what you said. You're the one who said you were weary of going to the vet. If you already have a vet, woo hoo even better.

As for herbs, you're preaching to the choir here. I use herbs for myself and my animals. I sell an herbal blend here on the forum. That doesn't mean I use it to take the place of a vet visit IF it is needed. Once again, so far it isn't needed in this instance, but I do hope in the future if it is, you won't hesitate to bring them thinking you can cure it yourself with herbs. Yes, herbs can help and aid with healing. Should it take the place of a vet visit? Absolutely not.

Arata I'm sorry but I am going to say it--you ARE a bad owner if you refuse to take your animal to a vet when it's needs to go. You say you are getting into breeding what happens when your pregnant chin cannot deliver her kits--are you going to perform the c section and deliver? Do you know how? There is not a member on this forum who does not get upset when someone asks what to do for their chin and they are told what to do for their chin--aka take it to the vet--and they don't. Again, sorry but that does make you a bad owner.

We are not vets we do not know without looking at your chin what is wrong with them and how to help them.

I'll tell you what happens because it happened last night. Someone came into chat saying there was something wrong with their chinchilla. He was very lethargic and could not move. Several members in chat said this is not good please take your chin to the vet. It was late at night it would have been a trip to the emergency vet, instead of taking the chin to the vet as instructed there is a post today in the chin memorial section saying the chinchilla has died.

Besides the owner being upset how do you think that makes those of us in chat feel? This chin needed to see a vet ASAP but did not and now it's dead. Do you think any of us will say I told you so? No--but we did say what to do.

We are not here for members we are here for health and well being of the chinchilla. We CARE about the chinchilla. When they are not cared for properly by their owner it's upsetting.

If you are a rational, loving and caring pet owner you will realize this instead of feeling attacked. So please take time to really read what I've read and try to understand the viewpoint from those of us who have seen what happened with the person asking what to do--being told what to do--ignoring the advice--and then posting the chin had died.

I just want to think everyone for the post and advice that you have given, I apologize for what I said especially to essentia. That was uncalled for of me, I know that and I apologize for it. I'm just really upset and stress about Rolly... To be honest, and I apologize once again for not saying this in the beginning, but the reason I don't want to take him to the vet is because I'm financially incapable of doing so and it's killing me inside knowing that I can't..... So I guess all I can ask for is to please pray for him and hope for a complete and quick recovery

Is you chin showing signs of problems still? If so, can you describe what is happening with him?

I just want to think everyone for the post and advice that you have given, I apologize for what I said especially to essentia. That was uncalled for of me, I know that and I apologize for it. I'm just really upset and stress about Rolly... To be honest, and I apologize once again for not saying this in the beginning, but the reason I don't want to take him to the vet is because I'm financially incapable of doing so and it's killing me inside knowing that I can't..... So I guess all I can ask for is to please pray for him and hope for a complete and quick recovery

If you are financially incapable of taking an animal to the vet, you should postpone breeding until you can afford it. Emergency c-sections are very expensive - upwards of $1400 and many emergency places require payment upfront, without a payment plan.

I've also got a concern about the female he is with - if she is fur chewing, you shouldn't be breeding with her either.

To Claire: oh no! Eve is not a fur biter! She just can get nervous very easily and her fur will slip out. I would never breed a fur biter. As long as we don't move her into a different cage she's perfectly fine so I haven't seen her do it for a very long time. But she knows Rolly's not feeling well so she's upset and that's why it has happened. As far as Rolly, I'm very happy to say that he is eating now and it moving around, but he's still skittish and that's not like him, although that could be just because it's during the day, I have a few others (like one of Rolly's kids) that is more skittish during the day time. He will still raise up (keeping all 4 paws on the ground but his stomach high off the ground) with his back arched but he's not doing it as much and I saw him messing with himself again but he didn't do it for very long. He also doesn't seem to be as obsessed with cleaning his face now.

...the reason I don't want to take him to the vet is because I'm financially incapable of doing so...

I've been reading this thread and I'm happy to hear Rolly's doing better, but I'm concerned about your financial situation... particularly given the number of chins that you have listed. Why would you continue breeding if you can't afford veterinary care now?

I don't know about you, but my chinchillas are my babies. Can you imagine how you'd feel if one of your chins died because you couldn't afford to provide proper care? It's certainly not a path I'd choose.

I've been reading this thread and I'm happy to hear Rolly's doing better, but I'm concerned about your financial situation... particularly given the number of chins that you have listed. Why would you continue breeding if you can't afford veterinary care now?

I don't know about you, but my chinchillas are my babies. Can you imagine how you'd feel if one of your chins died because you couldn't afford to provide proper care? It's certainly not a path I'd choose.

Yes all of my chinchillas are my babies and each one has their own name and I give all them each love and care, I can name and tell you each ones personally, color and habits. I need to add something to what I said, I'm financial incapable right now. I've been working extra hard to make money as quickly as possible so if and when a vet vist is needed I can take them

Well, that's good to hear! I'd still be paranoid, as something can go wrong at any moment, but at least you're making steps in the right direction. Best of luck! I really hope everything works out for you.

Well, that's good to hear! I'd still be paranoid, as something can go wrong at any moment, but at least you're making steps in the right direction. Best of luck! I really hope everything works out for you.

Thank you so much!!! That's the most sweetest and supportive thing I've heard all day! :hug2:

When you see the arch, do you always see him "mess" with himself after? Do you ever see him stretch out and rub his belly on the ground? The more you keep saying you think he is sick makes me wonder what exactly is happening and are there other symptoms besides the initial one you stated, the one you stated is something male chinchillas do, but you keep saying he is sick so why do you think he is sick? If YOU think he is sick, then he goes to the vet to be diagnosed and there is nothing anyone on the forum can do at this point but say go to the vet since you keep saying his is sick.

Thank you so much!!! That's the most sweetest and supportive thing I've heard all day! :hug2:

Eh... don't get too happy yet. You've gotta understand that the people on this forum are hands down the most knowledgeable in the field. They've seen and done it ALL. Some of them come across as harsh, but they really just want what's best for your chins. The absolute best thing you can do for your chins is to heed their advice. When they say "go to a vet"... don't question... say "thank you" and go immediately. If you need to borrow money from someone, do it. What if Rolly's life is really at stake? Think about it.

Again... I really hope it all works out for you... just concerned.

I'd take him in if he's not acting like himself. At this point you could probably just make a regular appointment just to go in for an exam and diagnosis, it shouldn't be too expensive. My vet is something like $30 to go in for just that.

I really hope he's alright, but if he really is acting not like himself and like he is sick, take him in to see a vet soon. Maybe get a video of him doing this stretching thing? (I don't know how to take a video and put it online, but I have seen other people do it.)

Latest posts

Back