PLEASE HELP. I think my new chinchilla hates me :( :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenChin19

This is my little chin's second day in his new home. He seems to love his cage, its very tall, plenty of ledges. I've provided him with everything he needs, bedding, places to hide, toys, stuff to chew on, food, water, sand baths, etc. Hes been bouncing around acting perfectly happy, theres just one problem, he thinks my hands are something to eat! I havent been trying to pick him up yet or even pet him, cause I know he's probly still stressed. I've been just setting my hand onto the floor of his cage, not moving it. He will come up to my hand, sniff it, and immediately start nipping it, and its not just like one test nip, its an "I want to eat this!" nip. I always have to pull my hand away before he nips it too hard. And no I don't have any food or perfumes on my hands. Anyways, I tried someone's suggestion and rubbed my hands all over the sand he baths in, then I laid my hand back in the cage. After a minute, he came up to my hand, sniffed a finger, and bit it, HARD. I yelled out cause it surprised me and hurt rather badly, and I instinctively jerked my hand, which in turn accidentally hit him (not hard) on the head. He of course freaked and ran into his hiding hole. He wont come out and now
I think he hates me :cry3: . I just dont understand why he wants to bite me all the time. Should I leave him alone for a few days? Help!!

I have a chin that used to nip me all the time. It took nearly a year and a half for him to finally warm up to me. He is still sketchy, but he no longer bites me.

I would leave him alone for a day or so, and then take things slowly. Some chins just don't want the interaction, so you have to work around their terms.

ETA: I didn't realize this was a brand new chin, in which case I would also recommend to let him adjust to his new home first.

Last edited:
It's okay - all of my chins bit me the first time I tried to interact with them. Think about it: he's just been moved from a home he has known and been comfortable in to a new, scary place with someone he does not know. I might be a little hostile too! ;)

Give him some space. The first week should be about him getting used to the sights, sounds, and smells of your house, THEN you will want to interact with him. Odds are his bites are test bites; he just doesn't know you. The incident with your yelling and accidentally tapping him on the noggin might make him edgy for a while, but just give him his space (I know it's hard - they're just so cute!) and he'll come around!

Is this your first chin? If so, check out some stuff in the section for new chin owners. You may answer some of your own questions there!!

Best of luck, and remember: slow and steady wins the race!!! :)

I would leave him alone. Let him get used to his surroundings, then work on getting him used to you. You've got plenty of time to work on sticking your hands in the cage and such later on. For now, you just have to know that he is afraid of you, and needs to get used to you being around. Putting your hands in the cage and scaring him will only take longer to earn his trust.

Hi Jen! Welcome to the forum!

It will take a while for your chinchilla to settle into his new home. It can be a stressful adjustment for them. Just give him time, lots of time, to get to know you, and your smell.

Sit next to his cage quietly, and talk to him. The key to this is lots of patience! Grab a good book, or sit and watch a movie, by his cage, to help him get used to your presence.

How old is he? Sometimes younger chins are pretty nervous, too.

Sometimes it's best to just leave a new chin alone completely. Leave him in the cage and let him get acclimated to his new surroundings. He's probably scared and he doesn't know what is happening.

I'd take the hiding hole out. Having it is going to train him to retreat from every noise and every movement that scares him. He could become more withdrawn with it in the cage. I prefer that the chins face the noises and movement in the room. They are friendlier and less likely to run away. You can put it back in in maybe a month or two when he is completely used to everything.

Please remember that it sometimes will take certain chins a few weeks to relax. You're going to need to build up his trust and that will take time. There are actually very few chinchillas that are perfect immediately. It just takes time, like everyone has said.

Like Susan (that is such a beautiful name) said, talk to him and be around for him to see you. Talking to a chinchilla makes all the difference. Soon you will develop chinchilla voice...that's when you talk to the chinchilla a very special way - it's this cheerful, chirpy way of speaking to them that they love almost more than treats. My husband thinks that when I talk to my chins I am switching to a completely different personality. I won't go into the special noises I make for the enjoyment of the chinchillas.... :)

My chin, who was 3 when I adopted her, took a month or two to really settle into my home. I have two younger boys and lots of birds, cats, and a big dog, so it was probably a drastic change in environment for her. I worked with her slowly, sitting next to her cage and talking to her without invading her space. Over time your chin will become more accepting of you and you can prompt her to come out with you and interact. Give her time and you'll see her come around, you just have to be patient. It is worth it in the end. Good luck!

When i first brought Nyx home she was terrified. It took her nearly a week to not dive into her house if i so much as rolled over at night. I just left her be, the only time I went into her cage was to replenish food and empty her peep pan. In the evening I would lay backwards on my bed and read aloud to her. One night I fell asleep doing this and my hand fell against her cage. When I woke up a few hours later she was cuddled against my fingers that stuck through cage. That has never happened again. I've now had her 3 months and although she was much less skiddish she only started to allow scrittishing abouth two weeks ago. Be patient and your chin will come around if very slowly.

I think he's just seteling down. Boing was like that and still is too with me (he prefers my ex, that's why he kept him). Give him time and don't rush.

The very best thing you can do for awhile is just leave him alone. Sit outside his cage and talk to him and have him get used to you. Then gradually start putting your hand into the cage so he is used to it. I know it's hard because they are so cute and cuddly and you just want to hold and snuggle them, but really then need at least a month to get used to their new surroundings and cage. Patience is the key when it comes to bonding with your chin.

Latest posts

Back