Play pen

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chin_r_great

Just wondering what a good play pen would be for my chinchilla. I would like one that is large. I am actually quite flexibe for size. I just wondering if there are any that would come with toys and such if not that is fine. Could you recommend something that you like?
Al

I have two sets of the 8 panel Large Clean Living Playpen (from Petsmart) hooked together and set up in front of the cages. It has an opening (on each 8-panel set) so I can attach it to the cage, set up a ramp, and let the girls go in and out as they please. No more catching and bringing them to the bathroom :). It's a fairly large play area, I set up my own toys, various tubes, a cardboard castle, a playset with wood chews, and any of us humans that serve as jumping platforms of course. I don't have a cover that would be large enough for the 16 panels so I always supervise and watch for any chins that might be spunky enough to make it over the gate (so far that is just one of my five LOL). I love it, the chins love it, and it's super convenient for me.

Here is the link to the one I have, it is very similar to the Marshall or Midwest playpens. It is 29 inches tall (they have 26" for over all dimensions but the panels are correctly described as 29" so I think they just made an error in size :)).

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751767

The playset I have is a wooden house-like structure with lots of chews on it that I refill as necessary. I tried to upload a photo to Photobucket but it isn't cooperating with me right now so I will have to try later. It was made by Riven of Rivendell Chinchillas long ago and I am not sure she is selling them any longer.

I use a playpen similar to Parkerspetchins. Other people use big pieces of cardboard taped together and have experienced good results.

jc

I have two sets of the 8 panel Large Clean Living Playpen (from Petsmart) hooked together and set up in front of the cages. It has an opening (on each 8-panel set) so I can attach it to the cage, set up a ramp, and let the girls go in and out as they please. No more catching and bringing them to the bathroom :). It's a fairly large play area, I set up my own toys, various tubes, a cardboard castle, a playset with wood chews, and any of us humans that serve as jumping platforms of course. I don't have a cover that would be large enough for the 16 panels so I always supervise and watch for any chins that might be spunky enough to make it over the gate (so far that is just one of my five LOL). I love it, the chins love it, and it's super convenient for me.

I have the same playpen from petsmart and have it hooked up to Tinkerbell's cage. It is great, she can come and go as she pleases.

If I were to get chubes what size would be good for chinchillas?

I know this is more expensive than the other playpens but we actually got this for our pug, when he was a puppy. I love it because its easy for my daughter to set up when I can't do playtime with the chins. It's a pop-up playpen, its kind of deceiving when its flat, but its HUGE when it's set up and it came in 3 pieces, the bottom velcroves to the sides so you can wash it and the top zippers off. There is plenty of ventilation all around the sides as well. As far as play items, you can easily get some inexpensive tubes (cardboard with no printing). Below is the link to where we got the playpen.

http://www.petco.com/product/108191/WARE-Deluxe-Pop-Up-Playpen.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

How long do you think the large chube would be? If you know of a tube that is longer and could fit chinchillas please tell me.
Thank you all for your help,
Al

How long do you think the large chube would be? If you know of a tube that is longer and could fit chinchillas please tell me.
Thank you all for your help,
Al

The largest chube I bought at a pet shop is 6" in diameter and 10" in length. I believe I paid $5 for 1.

I have a thread here going with a youtube video clip (click on link in the 1st post of the thread) where you can see the chube/tube around the 1:00 minute mark, both of my chins fit in this tube.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2356

Sandi, that pen is really cool. I like that then they can't jump out of it.

Do they ever try to nibble on it at all?

If anyone is interested in getting play pens, I can get them at wholesale prices and then resell them, so I can try to get them for cheaper than other pet store sites if anyone is interested in any that they've seen. Just let me know and I can let you know how much it'd be. I bought a metal expanding one a while back, so I know how expensive they can be.

Sandi, that pen is really cool. I like that then they can't jump out of it.

Do they ever try to nibble on it at all?

If anyone is interested in getting play pens, I can get them at wholesale prices and then resell them, so I can try to get them for cheaper than other pet store sites if anyone is interested in any that they've seen. Just let me know and I can let you know how much it'd be. I bought a metal expanding one a while back, so I know how expensive they can be.

Allison, I love this playpen (I kinda wish I had this for my "human" kids, lol, JK)!

I also thought that they might do that, but the only one that causes trouble (as you might have seen the clip) is CJ and once he pawed at the mesh door like he was boxing (he can't reach the window mesh parts) but thats it. I do put alot of "chew" toys and wood houses for them in there and its only for about 30 minutes or so while I clean their cage or when my daughter is watching them.

I looked at the you tube video of your chins 3chinsowner and your chinchillas are so cute and so playful. I need to work up to that.
Amazing,
Al

That WARE playpen is so cool! I love that it's covered. Playtime at my house is more like hockey, and I'm the goalie! The chins seem to have great fun trying to find creative and sneaky ways out of our current playpen.

List of things I have bought so far:
Chubes 4
playpen 1 for right now
chew toys don't know how much
Any more things you think I should buy? I am thinking I have bought more will see when it arrives but I am thinking that I am missing one thing. I am really just trying to spoil my chins as much as possible or as much as I can.
Al

I got the playpen today looks good for now. So everyone thinks I got everything I need?

Latest posts

Back