Photography and Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
What types of materials do you use (backdrops?)

Do you bait?

Do you alter photo color? What filters?

Where do you do it?

How do you get 'the perfect picture'?

I'm big on lighting and backdrop, currently working on building myself a place to take pictures in this new barn. Got the lights up, but you can see my countertop is red. Thinking I will try covering it with a cardboard box next time.

My favorite place to take chin photos; sunny day in the grass.

I don't bait them (food).

I don't use filters unless I'm at show or the whole batch has a uniform cast.

As far as getting the perfect picture, I take a lot. Can take a couple hundred in 20 minutes. Below is a set after I've deleted the bad ones. Overall that counter is a bad influence. Guess I'll just have to take more later. :D

Attachments

• ChinPhotos.jpg
    ChinPhotos.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 86
I suggest making a light box. They're easy and cheap to use. The only thing I have to play with is the lighting and the white balance, which can be tricky. Because the bulbs I use are 100 watts, it can get hot, so I can only take 2-5 pictures successfully before I get worried.

This is the method I used:

http://jyoseph.com/diy-light-box-for-product-photography/

Attachments

• DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 23
I just had my husband build me a light box to take pics with. I also use it for my pictures for eBay and craigslist when I take pictures of non living things. :D

Thanks for posting that link, that's one of the easiest sets of instructions I've run across. I had one in Pullman, they really create a lot of heat.

I use a light box that me and my boyfriend made and then I cover it with white felt.
I use daylight bulbs since those give the truest color.
Here's a picture of the box and then some pictures of chins I've taken in it. I've found that you really need 3 lights, when I use only 2, the pictures aren't bright enough and have a blue cast to them.

The box is set up in this picture for taking photos of my collars and things that I sell on Etsy, but I made it so then I just drape the felt over it when I want a white background

frontbox.jpg

PICT0015-1.jpg

PICT0026-1.jpg

And as you can see, I do give them something to munch on as it helps them sit still. These are Laurie's chin and Deb's chin that I took a picture of during the MN get together last year.

thanks!

If you get the daylight bulbs, you don't have to worry about them getting hot. They're compact fluorescent bulbs so they don't get hot.

As far as filters go, I use a standard clear glass UV filter. I take all my photos with it. It is more or less to protect my lens, it doesn't change the colors in photos by much.

I'm in need of a new Speedlight, so I've slacked on taking indoor photos and photos of the chins. I also left my (very expensive) tripod in CT when I went to visit, last I heard it was donated to Goodwill - arg!

I'd like to hear what manual setting people are using. I can't shoot in RAW - just not my thing. For quick pics of the chins I end up having to use the macro setting and shoot from a farther distance. Really don't screw with the ISO/speed too much, chins move too fast! When I switched to an F mount all I had was a 28-80 - haven't been able to afford anything else at this point.

Last edited:
Tara you always post awesome pics! As for me I have never really gotten a perfect picture. I do not do anything special and just take hundreds until I get one that looks pretty good. THe only thing I use is in my kodak picture maker I adjust the sharpness because alot of my pics come out blurry on the digital camera. I have tried the auto enhance button in the past and that is a huge mistake..I had greenish pinkish chinchillas!

A light box like that sure seems handy! Though I prefer pictures taken when the chins are doing what they usually do - running, jumping, chewing, pooping :D, dragging stuff around, "helping" us with laundry or to sweep the floor etc. (Of course, it's different if you are taking the pictures for a "for sale" ad or for your breeder files and the chin's colouring should be clearly visible.)

I Photoshop almost every picture I take - I'm better Photoshopper than photographer. ;)) I usually crop the photos and correct the colours (I prefer a minor bluish tint compared to yellow).

Odelma's eyes are blue:
(I couldn't have photographed her eye right - after Photoshopping the colours are correct and the result is the same as it's in natural daylight.)

TynnyrimyyrCrop.jpg

Ooops, I posted my message twice! Any way to remove a message..?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back