Phone interviews

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

That one bookworm girl...
I have my first phone interview tomorrow. It also happens to me my first interview ever. Does anyone have any advice? Anything I should definitely not do? I wasn't nervous until right about now.

For my job, all my interviews are of the phone, so I'm used to it. I actually think they are easier than in person, because you can relax more, wear your sweats, sit on the couch, whatever.

Avoid chewing anything or drinking anything. It comes through really loud on the phone. Go into a room where you can close the door and have no background noise (During one interview my macaw let loose with a string of swearing and was really loud. Thankfully, the lady on the other end found it vastly amusing.) If you are going to be quizzed on anything, have it handy so you don't panic and forget, i.e., your resume. They may ask something specific about it, and you don't want to go blank and completely forget what you wrote.

If you have questions to ask, write a list in the order of importance that you want to ask. If they address them before you can ask, check them off so you don't forget and ask again. Don't ask about money until the end of the interview.

Other than that, it's pretty easy. Good luck. :)

As my Wife and I both have had a few, we've had a chance to review -
Use your regular voice - no "syrupy" answers,
Think before you speak - they'll try to trip you up a couple times,
Keep your answers short and to the point - embellishment designates nervousness!
Keep positive - say NOTHING NEGATIVE!
If your answering machine has a record button, record it for review -
Good luck -

Being in HR, here is what I give to candidates who are about to have a phone interview:

Key Points Phone Interview

• 5 minutes before interview, close eyes for a few minutes and visualize a successful conversation with interviewer. Remember a time of great accomplishment and the feeling that went with it. Capture that feeling and use it to your advantage.
• Make sure that you are in a quiet location and have made a bathroom stop before the phone rings. Not eating 1 hour before interview helps too.
• Keep a glass of water close by in case your mouth gets dry. (Some people get nervous during interviews)
• Never discuss rate or any issue that relates to your hourly rate, location (location is always fine), or full time employment (if they like you they will extend an offer at the completion of your contract, sometimes during), Keep in mind: this is not a social call, but personality and professionalism is an important mix.
• Stand and Smile (if you can), while on the phone interview (This projects confidence and positivism over the phone line)
• Pause after you are asked a question, (count to 5) then talk slowly to give your answer. Use the pause time to think what would be the best way answer the question. This slowness comes across over the phone as confidence and expertise.
• If asked about a weakness in skills, turn it into a strength by emphasizing other strengths that support or make up for the specific weakness (using a "like" product or methodology)
• Never give just Yes and No answers, be descriptive (The manager wants to visualize what you have done in relation to the question/job)
• If asked a personal question, shortly elaborate and get back to the business at hand.
• Assume that you have the position by asking questions that will allow manager to visualize you on the team: Where will I be working? How large is the team I am assigned to? How fast do you need me?
• You may be able to ask the manager how long he/she has been with the company or how he/she started in the business.
• Thank Manager for Call and you may briefly reemphasize how much you will contribute to their team

If your answering machine has a record button, record it for review -

It's illegal to record a conversation over the phone unless you let the other party know that the entire conversation is being recorded and get their consent.

Never discuss rate or any issue that relates to your hourly rate, location (location is always fine), or full time employment (if they like you they will extend an offer at the completion of your contract, sometimes during), Keep in mind: this is not a social call, but personality and professionalism is an important mix.

Not always. I have had to ask on 3/5 occasions what the salary would be at the end of the interview. I always wait until they say "Do you have any other questions?", then I ask. The one time I didn't ask, when they offered me the position, the amount was so low I actually laughed.

Stand and Smile (if you can), while on the phone interview (This projects confidence and positivism over the phone line)

Stupid question, but why? You don't stand at an interview, why would you stand at a phone interview? I live at my desk. I am most comfortable at my desk. So I sit at my desk when doing interviews. I think I manage to project confidence and professionalism whether I stand or sit.

I like your list Laura! Just wondered on a couple things.

Regarding rate: I deal w/ contract employees. So, we are to discuss rate w/ them, not the client. Sorry, should've reworded some of this probably.
Regarding standing and smiling: It is a proven fact that people speak more clearly and confidently when they're standing. No, not everyone needs the extra "umph", but many do. I have heard stories where people were sitting on their couch during an interview and out of habit, grabbed the remote and started channel surfing. LOL.

I've done a few phone interviews, and for me it's easier to think and to give good answers if I'm standing and walking around a little while I do the interview. I don't know why, but it is.

I actually dress up for phone interviews. If I were in my sweats, I wouldn't take the phone interviews as seriously. I try to sit up straight or stand up. If you slump, apparently you can tell over the phone (i.e. you don't sound as serious).
Have your notes laid out in front of you neatly so you won't have to shuffle through papers.
Yes, go somewhere quiet, close the doors behind you.
Make sure that your phone connection is good or receive the phone call where you'll have good receptions.
Don't forget other interview pointers, including don't forget to research the employer beforehand & ask them a knowledgable question at the end of the interview.
Good luck.

Having never done an interview before, I can't really say how it went. I answered some questions really well, and others I fumbled on. I guess now I just wait. Thanks for all your help!

I hire around 50 new staff each summer, and I do many of the interviews over the phone. A few things come to mind:

--Make sure, if you're on a cell phone, you're not going to lose signal (if possible).
--Try not to have excessive background noise--including wind if you're outside. I once did an interview with a woman who I'm pretty sure was running errands or something as I could hear her car door "dinging" every so often.
--If your phone cuts out and you miss part of a question, don't be afraid to ask the interviewer to repeat the question! Don't just try and make up an answer.
--Do your research! I like to know that an applicant has actually looked into my organization and WANTS to work there...not just applying for the sake of a job, if that makes sense.

On the taping of an interview thing - it depends on the state. In this state it is single party consent. I can tape any conversation I have including over the phone as long as there are no 3rd parties involved. As soon as 3 people are involved in the conversation at least 2 need to know it is being taped etc... You can't tape a conversation of 2 without at least one of them consenting to it. My state is very lenient on taping conversations, others are not. It's a good thing to research and look up.

I had a phone interview once, omg i sucked bad. I sounded so nervous, and uncoordinated. I was nervous! i like in person interviews better, or right now im working with a placement agency. I just show up on a designated day and I work. I've met some really cool people that way.

On the taping of an interview thing - it depends on the state. In this state it is single party consent. I can tape any conversation I have including over the phone as long as there are no 3rd parties involved. As soon as 3 people are involved in the conversation at least 2 need to know it is being taped etc... You can't tape a conversation of 2 without at least one of them consenting to it. My state is very lenient on taping conversations, others are not. It's a good thing to research and look up.

Kentucky is the same way - single party knowledge is fine. I can record any conversation with one other person and not have to let them know. I cannot record conversations between other people unless I'm a party to it. AND, it really gets complicated when parties are located in different states. But, this little tidbit actually came in really handy during divorce and custody case...no more of this "he said, she said" BS. I could prove what we both said via recordings. And yes, they are accepted in court so long as you abide by the rules governing it.

If you're in a two party state, you need to make sure you record telling them that the call is being recorded.

It's my understanding that taping a conversation for PERSONAL use, anywhere, is alright, as long as it's not being used for personal gain or court purposes!
As I said, for REVIEW, to hear if you could've done better!
When you're satisfied - delete it!

Latest posts

Back