Petsmart rescue.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessePolicy

I'm going to be getting a chinchilla in a few days, my very first, a rescue. I just learned that she came from petsmart. [This raises red flags for me, particularly around age.] She told me that petsmart said that the chin was 1 year old. What are the chances that this is untrue? Also, could this chin be sick from being at a pet store? Are there any things I should look out for as rescuing a chin from petsmart?

Thanks.

I got my first chin from petsmart. As far as age its probably untrue... The employees dont usually get told age and they just guess. I saw in another post of yours its 4 now so if theyve had it for three years any health problems would have shown themselves (most likely)

Technically you never "rescue" from a pet store, you buy it. They replace it. Treat it like any other chinchilla coming into your home. they probably have no clue on the age so it may be 1 it may be younger.

the person I'm adopting from adopted her 3 years ago, when they told her it was 1, so now it would be 4. also, I'm not the one adopting it from the pet store, I'm adopting it from a person who got it from a pet store.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, I'll just treat her like a normal chin and probably get a vet check-up. ^^

I would not do a vet check up unless something looks off. It would be an un needed stress and could cause issues

Out of my 10 chins I only know backgrounds for 2 of them. I'm sure the rest came from petstores or backyard breeding. Luckily I've only had one major health issue.

I agree about not taking chins to the vet unless you have a reason to.

Good luck with the new chin! I wouldn't worry too much about where she came from.

I've had our petsmart chin for three years and she's totally fine. The employee didn't tell us how old she was (or ANYTHING about chins for that matter, thank god I found CnH.)

However, store conditions and the source of the chins varies from location to location so keep an eye on her.

People seem to be have the misconception that all animals that come from pet stores are sickly or more likely to get sick than other animals. Animals are animals. Different ones come from different lines, different breeders, different situations. The same is true if you buy directly from a breeder or take in a rescue from a qualified rescue. You don't need to worry any more with this chin than you would with any other chin. Just treat him/her like any other chin and enjoy him/her. :)

And no, there is absolutely no way to know any chin's age without a pedigree from the original breeder giving the birth date.7

Many big breeders sell to wholesale, which means for all you know your pet store chins uncle is a grand show champion.

Any chin can have health problems. Just treat her like you would any chin.

Just as an FYI, some of the most beautiful animals that have come into the rescue had originally come from Petco and Petsmart. I also have yet to have one that had any health problems with pet store chins. Not saying those animals don't exist, but luckily I have had good luck.

My biggest issue with petstore animals is that they have crappy attitudes when you first get them from the pet store. They are poked and prodded all day, everyday while they are in the pet store. Also pet stores don't usually give the best care. That said, this chinchilla has been in the care of an actual human, not the pet store for some time.

Like everyone else said, treat this chin like you would one from a breeder or rescue. Just keep a watchful eye on him like you would any new chin in your home. Nothing extra special just because he came from a pet store. :)

Every so often pet stores will have outbreaks of ringworm, I worked in a Petco. It somewhat common because of constant cross contamination. I would just keep an eye out for any patches of fur missing or obsessive scratching of an area.

For the most part the only things that happen in a pet shop are fungus and upper respiritory infections. Both have somewhat obvious signs, your probably fine to put the vet off unless something appears to be wrong. No need to stress a new chin out.

Back