peeing in food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Will someone please remind me what type of feed dish I can use so that my new little one will stop peeing in his food dish.

How big of a bowl are you using? If it's large enough for them to sit on, then chances are they'll pee in the bowl. I just use the small 1.5" diameter ceramic bowls and haven't had this issue. When I use larger dishes, they pee in them.

Otherwise you can get ceramic bowls with a hood on them that are made for birds. If you get one that's large enough for them to get at the food, that should work. Or you can get one of those gravity feeders that hangs on the outside of the cage.

You may also try just moving the bowl to see if that stops the peeing. Some chins like peeing in the same spot, so maybe if you move it, your chin won't go pee in it anymore. I have a crock dish that hangs on the side of the cage for one of my chins that likes to pee in his food dish. He would pee in any type of bowl but doesn't pee in the side hanging dish.

The parrot dish with the ceramic hood is the only thing I have found that works. I have tried putting shelves above the coop cup so he cannot reach, and then he tosses the coop cup! Smart little devils!

Put one dish in that spot with shavings in it and you might just have yourself a litter trained chin! Often putting the dish up a bit, like a coop cup, can help. If you put it too high it makes a fun perch and defeats the point.

I agree with using a coop cup, attaching it to the cage slightly above the shelf has worked for me.

The parrot dish with the ceramic hood is the only thing I have found that works.
I love the hooded feed bowls for both chins that pee in their food and chins that throw food out.

It also makes a great hiding spot for babies :)

You may also try just moving the bowl to see if that stops the peeing. Some chins like peeing in the same spot, so maybe if you move it, your chin won't go pee in it anymore. I have a crock dish that hangs on the side of the cage for one of my chins that likes to pee in his food dish. He would pee in any type of bowl but doesn't pee in the side hanging dish.

This generally helps with all of our bowl pee-ers too!

I agree with the coop cup-ers! When I first brought Godzilla home, he would pee in his food bowl, but switching to a coop cup that sits above the ground has alleviated a lot of the mess that he used to make.

41M6GZRC8CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Put one dish in that spot with shavings in it and you might just have yourself a litter trained chin! Often putting the dish up a bit, like a coop cup, can help. If you put it too high it makes a fun perch and defeats the point.

Ha I didn't even think about that...

But all my chins have their one pee spot. Have you changed the dish's spot recently??? Maybe they just don't like it in that spot...either way seems like you have a handful of idea to work with:thumbsup:

That's actually how a few of my chins were litter trained. They immediately stopped the bowl peeing once a litter box was in.

How big of a bowl are you using? If it's large enough for them to sit on, then chances are they'll pee in the bowl. I just use the small 1.5" diameter ceramic bowls and haven't had this issue. When I use larger dishes, they pee in them.

Otherwise you can get ceramic bowls with a hood on them that are made for birds. If you get one that's large enough for them to get at the food, that should work. Or you can get one of those gravity feeders that hangs on the outside of the cage.

Ditto for my one chin. I have big bowls in with my chins were I have two in one cage and I do find pee in there sometimes, but the cage where there is just one chin it's a small bowl with (ceramic with the back up higher) and I never find pee in it.

This is the small bowl I was trying to explain.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+10382+17078&pcatid=17078

Jean

For my chin, she doesn't pee in her pellet holder. But for her hay holder (because it's bigger) she does.

I've tried changing up the food area, or getting new hay containers. But no matter what, she has to pee in there.

I just gave up and put some bedding in the bottom so it can soak up her pee. ::sigh::

Any suggestion or help about that?

I use J-feeders. They can be hung inside or outside of the cage and if you place them a little up above the floor of the cage, they can't pee in them.

Do you have bowls next to each other? I have two bowls in each cage. The girls used to pee in their bowls too, because the bowls were right next to each other. When they would eat their pellets, they would sit on the hay bowl, thereby peeing in it. The same goes for when they would eat their hay, only vice versa. I had to wind up putting the bowls on opposite ends of the cage.

The bowl might also be too big, allowing them to sit on the edge when eating. :p

I use J-feeders. They can be hung inside or outside of the cage and if you place them a little up above the floor of the cage, they can't pee in them.

This is what I use too. I've never had any chins pee in them. I think the suggestion about the coop cup is a good idea too.

Back