Pedigree help needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceylwolf

I was wondering if there were any breeders here who could help me understand my guys pedigree. I just got a copy of it emailed and it's a bit confusing to me and I just need some help sorting it out. :)

What is confusing on it? Copy it here and we can try to help.

OK, here's his pedigree, this is what was emailed to me. My boy is Patch, I just don't follow how this reads, lol. I read horse pedigrees all the time, this is my first chin pedigree.

Sire
Color
Sire Neal Number

Colo Beige
Number opcJNeal Dam
Colo
Sire MoonBeam Number
Colo homozygousBeige
Number opcLMoon Sire
0036M Colo
Dam Samone Number
Colo Beige/pastel

Name: Patch Number opcJSamone Dam
Colo
Number SB-OPCS190 Number
Date of Birth
Thursday, November 30, 2006 Sire Spunkie
Sex Male Colo Pink White / TOV blue eye
Colo Piebald Sire Comet Number opcBSpunki
Colo Standard
Number Dam Sparkle
Colo Standard - Grey
Dam Sweetie Number
Colo mosaic blue eye
Number opcMSweeti Sire Scooter
Colo Black Velvet
Dam Trinket Number Stantuci95
Colo black white
Number opcKTrink Dam Queenie
Colo Mosaic
Number OPCQueen

See, this is what happens when I try to post it.

Patch looks like a Pink White, just showing some markings. As for the pedigree, the copy I got I honestly can barely make any sense out of it. It does not look like a traditional pedigree that I use. Unless it just didn't copy right to e-mail, so is looking so weird.

Darn, the formatting stays the same in the window, but once posted it posts like yours did.

Heres my best shot:

Patch:

SB-OPC S190 11/30/06 .. So SB-OPC would be his breeders brand. S190 would mean he was born in 2006, and was the 190th kit born at the breedes house.

Color: Piebald... He's actually just a Pink White.

As for the actual pedigree...The only thing I can say is he's got a good mix of colors in there. Standard, Black Velvet, Beige, Pastel/beige, Pink White/TOV Blue eye, Piebald, mosaic blue eye, Homo Beige...

Lots of mutations, some funky made up colors...

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like this. But since I had nothing better to do this morning and feeling like crap, I thought I might give it a shot. ( I could be wrong )

Patch
Number : OPCJ
Color: stated as piebald ( looks like tan white or pink white?)
Date of birth:

Dame to Patch : Samone
Number :SB-OPCS190
Date of birth : 11-30-06
Color: Beige Pastel ( light tan white perhaps?)

Sire to Patch: Neal
Number OPCJ
Date of birth:
Color : Beige
No Dam listed for Neal

Sire to Neal : MoonBeam
Number: OPCL?
Color : Homogygous Beige

Dam to Neal.............who can guess.

Sire to MoonBeam : Moon
Number: 0036M
Color: ?

Samone's Sire: Spunkie
number : ?
Color: Pink White/ TOV

Samone's Dame : Sparkle
Number: ?
Color : Gray ( however this doesn't explains Samones TOV )

Samone's grandfather :Comet
Number: OPCBS
Color : Piebald ( won't even bother to guess)

And the rest is just madness to me.

See that wouldn't work..if his sire is a beige, dame is a beige/pastel (They arne't even the same thing, and deff. not white) it couldn't produce a pink white.... I didn't even see ebony in there, other then the pastel to make it a tan/white...... lol

Thats why I just gave up LOL -So many weird colors that are just made up names, the pedigree doesn't "fit" with what they are producing.... Whatever happened to traditional pedigrees??? lol

Can you see it? If you can, push crtl & prt scn ( control and print screen ) to take a photo of your screen, then email THAT to someone, you can put it in an email by simply crtl V ( paste) after using the screen shot function.

Nicole, I was sent the actual e-mail they got with the pedigree attached. It's worded much like it appears in this thread, all cluttered together. It is spaced out more like a traditional pedigree in the way it goes back--but even so, there is nothing thats actually clear as to what is what..atleast to me, it's still all jumbled.

I'll email the breeder and see if she can send it again, maybe something got messed up, lol.

Megan,
He doesn't have red eyes, everything I've read says that pink white have red eyes. His eyes are almost a blue shade then black in the center. And he looks very white in pictures but in person he's very smokey, almost like he's got ash on him. His spots are a grayish color and so is his tail with just a white tip. I did email the breed to see see what colors his parents were.

I am...So confused? I've never seen a pedigree like that and I've definitely never heard of a piebald, could someone please explain that?

And Stacey, something that might be easier is if you tell her to go to the MCBA website, go to New Breeder Help, click on Pedigree Card and she can make it a lot simpler on there. (I mess around on the MCBA and ECBC websites a lot out of curiosity, I find a lot of nifty stuff) At least then maybe someone can make heads or tails of it.

I've seached "piebald" and I've found some sites refer to standards as piebalds.
http://www.chinchillasalaska.com/chinchillacolors

I don't remember for sure since she was telling me so much when i was there but I thought she said something about if he didn't have the white he'd be considered a standard. And I remember her saying he would be about to breed with a mosaic because of the lethal factor.

I am...So confused? I've never seen a pedigree like that and I've definitely never heard of a piebald, could someone please explain that?

Thats because there isnt a mutation called piebald.

Thats because there isnt a mutation called piebald.

So is it like the panda bear 'mosaic', just another name for a mutation that already exists in attempts to get more money?

Exactly. It's a money gimmick. Say i'm selling a chinchilla to an unexpecting buyer.

I can say "I have a common white mosaic for $150" and then say "Oh, I almost forgot I also have a very rare piebald chinchilla. They are very hard to find, and very limited. I'll give you a great price on him.... $300".

Latest posts

Back